Emotiva XDA-1 Differential Balanced Digital-to-Analog Converter

jwilson55

Go to the Emotiva site and click on the Forum tab. You will find that the reviews are mixed. I use mine with the Jolida CD player, digital out to the XDA-1 and an Aragon amp. The sound is quite pleasing to me and, for the price, a good DAC. Try it with your equipment; see what you think. You have 30 days to test it.

Frank

I just got mine in. I'm feeding it with a cheap old Sony DVD player that I use as a transport and an Apple TV which I control remotely to play my iTunes from my iPad. The DAC hooks into my Marantz 2238B. I noticed a strong improvement in allowing the DAC to process the music from the DVD player (rather than running it analog to the receiver) and also a good deal of improvement over plugging my iPad in as well. It improved the clarity and the detail and opened up the soundstage. I'm not sure what more expensive DACs sound like, but this is a great way to get digital sound into a very good retro analog receiver.

It would be my guess that this DAC works best if you run it through a good analog receiver rather than directly to an amp, but I could be wrong.

At $250 I think you'd be hard pressed to find something better, but keep in mind that since the XDA-1 is on clearance there is no 30 day return policy.

from a build quality perspective....it looks like something built from a DIY kit.....I tried real hard to find flaws in the spec's and couldn't...I personally don't see how they pulled this off at this price...you'd be hard pressed to buy your own board from asia, find a case for it, drill it out for mounting hardware, and do this yourself for less. The only technical flaw I found is the the DAC processor can support a signal to noise ratio of 120db, but in this unit , performs at 110db. You could probally get the 10db difference back thru some power tranny sheilding and power supply upgrades. The below link, recommneds the dac directly driving a power amp as the best sonic config. There are spec's that are compare points between a 500 dollar dac and a 5000 dollar dac, jitter, clock rates, etc, but for less than 300, id just go for it. 300 bucks is what you would expect to pay for a cheap;y made usb dac.

http://emonatics.com/XDA-1.shtml

Thanks to all for the info. I think I will try one with a Logitec Squeezbox to play tunes from a network share. My share is wav's in loseless format. I am hopful this combo will sound good at least as good as a Sony 300 disc CD player. Thanks again for your input