Recommended Audio Wires for New Klipsch Speakers

kietton

I am a complete novice to when it comes to home audio. I just purchased a RF82ii bundle that included RC62ii, RS52ii, and SW310. Looking for some advice on purchasing some decent audio wires to hook up these bad boys. Everyone tells me Audio Quest from Best Buy is the way to go. Any advice???

You will waste your money at Best Buy. Don't fall into the trap of overpriced cables. Most here will tell you that www.monoprice.com has everything you need with respect to speaker wire and other cables, all excellent quality, at the best prices, with very reasonable shipping, lifetime warranty on cables, and a 30 day money-back guarantee. I personally buy all of my cables from there, as do many others who post on this forum.

For speaker wire, Monoprice's "Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable" will work excellently, and 100ft of 14 AWG (which is what I use) costs $25.20. You will find it here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2791&seq=1&format=2

As for a subwoofer cable, I don't know how far away your sub is from your amp, but Monoprice's "25ft High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm" cable is excellent and, again, is what I use, and costs $6.53. You will find it here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2683&seq=1&format=2

Since your sub has left and right inputs, you'll want to use a "6inch RCA Female to 2-RCA Male Digital Coaxial Splitter Adapter". It costs $1.43. You will find it here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6261&seq=1&format=2

Good luck.

the only way you really screw yourself over with speaker power wire is if you buy wire that is overpriced or too small of a gauge. Im an animal and like to use 12gauge on my speakers, it cant hurt to have the extra thickness. I have even been considering 10gauge but that is severe overkill haha. I have 14gauge on my rf-7's and things are fine and it would work well for you too. Monoprice offers 12gauge wire btw too if you wanna splurge.

Monoprice is a great site and its easy to get lost on there for hours

• Moderators

the only way you really screw yourself over with speaker power wire is if you buy wire that is overpriced or too small of a gauge

Exactly [Y]

I am not saying wires can't make changes in sound. I just look at it like I have other things that need to be done that would make bigger improvements to worry about better wires right now.

the only way you really screw yourself over with speaker power wire is if you buy wire that is overpriced or too small of a gauge

Exactly Yes

I am not saying wires can't make changes in sound. I just look at it like I have other things that need to be done that would make bigger improvements to worry about better wires right now.

For what it is worth... I agree...

I will be running speaker wires under my hardwood floors. Will this cause distortion if I purchased the 12AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable? Should I be looking at "In Wall Speaker Wires"?

You want to use CL2 Rated speaker wire which is designed for in-wall use. Keep in mind also, the longer your wire run is, the thicker your speaker wire should be. The longer a wire is the more friction the electicity encounter within the wire. The more friction thats encountered the hotter the wire can get. This is why i said that smaller gauage wires can screw you over. Its is possible to actually get a wire hot enough from power input that the wire itself will burn away its protective shielding on the outside. Now, keep in mind, this is easily achievable on like 18-20-22ga wire, when you start getting down to 14 and 12 ga you are much safer. If i was running in wall, i would use 12gauge, 10 if i can find it well priced. I do like to play it safe, especially when it comes to electricity and in home wiring, i wouldnt want to see my house burn. 12-14ga should do it for you. I am not an engineer nor have i done in-wall runs but there are those in here that have and if they read this, hopefully they will chime in.

Thanks All for your recommendations. Monoprice.com is the bomb. Got everything (50 ft of 12AWG, 100 ft of 12 AWG CL2 Rated In Wall, 15ft RCA Cable, RCA Splitter, and 2 HDMI 24AWG Cables) with shipping for less than 80 bucks. Thank you all. I'll let you all know how it all turns out. :)

• 8 years later...
5 hours ago, Tug001 said:

Do Klipsch speaker terminals accept the larger wire size?  I've read where others have had a problem with the 14 and 12 gauge sizes.

Some do, some don't.  Depends on the model and age. 

Also, it's best to start new threads instead of resurrecting ones that are almost a decade old.  👍

I agree with everyone else. Looks like you made your purchase already so that's good. I can tell you from my tinkering around when I upgraded my basement set up I had old who knows what brand 14ga wire that was x years old. I rewired everything using oxygen free copper 12ga and banana plugs that there was a considerable change in sound. I couldn't believe some of the prices I saw for wires. I'm in the wrong business apparently!

1 hour ago, LOWFAT930 said:

I agree with everyone else. Looks like you made your purchase already so that's good. I can tell you from my tinkering around when I upgraded my basement set up I had old who knows what brand 14ga wire that was x years old. I rewired everything using oxygen free copper 12ga and banana plugs that there was a considerable change in sound. I couldn't believe some of the prices I saw for wires. I'm in the wrong business apparently!

FYI this post is from 2012 and the OP hasn't visited the forum since 2014.

• Haha 1