PM 2.1 question

Coytee

I've got a pair of 2.1's. They're back at the house and not with me.

Memory tells me that the wires to the speakers themselves have the little 1/8" plug and the other end of that wire is bare, getting plugged into the bass module itself.

I just saw a picture of a pair on Ebay (looking at maybe buying another pair) and the pictures on this one have the wires hardwired to the back of the speakers and NOT using a 1/8" plug.

Is this accurate and if so, would this be a newer design or an older design?

If that is a sign of them being original (meaning many years old) I might pass on them. If that is a sign of the way the new models are being made then I might jump on them.

That is the newer model, and personally, I prefer the older version of the ProMedia. They sounded better and the factory speaker wires are inferior, it was nice with the older version because you could replace the wires with premium wires, now you are stock with they they give you. a terriblt design flaw, and all through the history of all high end speaker, no high end speaker come with built in wires. that should be left to crappy all in one WalMart surround speakers etc. Just food for thought. Get the older speakers and buy some better wires for it, you won't be dissapointed.

• 3 years later...

That is the newer model, and personally, I prefer the older version of the ProMedia. They sounded better and the factory speaker wires are inferior, it was nice with the older version because you could replace the wires with premium wires, now you are stock with they they give you. a terriblt design flaw, and all through the history of all high end speaker, no high end speaker come with built in wires. that should be left to crappy all in one WalMart surround speakers etc. Just food for thought. Get the older speakers and buy some better wires for it, you won't be dissapointed.

Your reply to this thread saved me from buying the new version of the ProMedia 2.1 system and then later regretting it (that is, if I ever learned what I got stuck with). By the time I saw your post here, I had already placed my order for a brand new one directly from Klipsch at like 1 or 2 AM on a weekday (lucky me, because otherwise the order could have been fulfilled before I had a chance to cancel it). After placing my order, I just sat on my computer for a couple of hours looking at posts and videos about this system because I was very excited about finally buying it. I eventually saw your reply here, and when I did, I began seriously considering cancelling my order, but only if I could find the older version for sale somewhere in very good condition. Fortunately, by some miracle or something, I found a barely-used one on eBay in mint condition for $141.19 after shipping! In my mind, that's a very good deal considering a brand new system is $139.99 shipped directly from Klipsch (at least, it is at the time of this writing) and is inferior to this one. I think it was made in March of 2003 because the box has "2003.03" printed on it. I'll have to ask Klipsch sometime though.

Anyway, so I immediately ordered the used (but mint) system and then followed that up by cancelling my direct order with Klipsch. After that, I found and ordered some premium 16 AWG aftermarket speaker wires through eBay (I don't know what brand they are, but they're not overpriced Monster wires and I'm happy about that). The speaker system arrived on Friday February 20th and it really IS in mint condition (it was pretty clear from the photos, but I still had my doubts of course), and the wires arrived the following Monday the 23rd. So, I've been a very happy guy ever since that Friday and especially since that Monday, and I feel that I owe it all to you. I mean, if you hadn't written this post, then I would have the newer and inferior version and I probably wouldn't even know it. So, thank you!