Cherries Jubilee (HT Build Thread)

Dandoyen

What are you plans?

I have filed a claim with American Cinema equipment. They are top-notch. We are discussing options up to me sending it back to be resurfaced and veneered or possibly a new cabinet (which I don't think is necessary). It still sounds AWESOME and is structurally sound, but I do want to get it resolved. Will keep you posted.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful, just beautiful. These would be the only speakers I would ever upgrade my Khorns to. Thank you so much for what you have done for our country, you deserve it so much and be safe out there.

Whats the mounster on the av rack next to the make shift rack, it looks like a giant amp.

Duder

Awesome! These are high on my list as well, congrats!!! I hope this year will be the year I can swing them! Sorry about the nick in one, hopefully they come correct and take care of that for you. Hope they sound as awesome as they look. What color is that center piece, cherry? Are there quite a few stain options?

Dan...

I've got a build question...

It looks to me as though the Cherry panel on front actually extends out from the otherwise 'plane' of the speaker, as though perhaps, it was added on to a panel under it which itself might be "on" the plane of the speaker?

When I look at my speakers, take the base plate where it exits the bass bin. Although there is a cut back angle there, it's one continuous line of parts, there is not a 3/4" extension butting out where the center part is.

Can you provide a specific picture to that?

The point to realize here is, if yours has a panel "attached to the front" of the substructure (for cosmetic purposes) then your build and any others like it would strike me as being more like the original design as per PWK.

It would allow the attachment of 3/4" thick grills on the side without having to inset them since they'd have this raised panel to butt up against.

I don't have my camera here with me so I'll root for some pictures to explain in case the words above don't do it.

If what I'm seeing is accurate, I personally find it very interesting for future Jubilee buyers.... as it seems to me the speaker bass bin is closer to the "pretty" unit that we've all seen PWK standing next to.

Here's one of the prototypes with the raised panel. You can see a grill on the far side and how it sat on top/front of the speaker. It was triangle shaped.

On the near side of the speaker, you can sort of see a line from the edge of the pretty front panel, straight back and that area would represent the triangle of the top of the grill and the grill of course, ran down the front, butting up to the raised panel.

This unit ALSO had a 3/4" raised (extended) lip on the base portion where the grill could sit. This extended base portion would have been flush with the pretty front panel.

post-15072-1381968536474_thumb.jpg

Ok, well crud...

After all that, I just looked closer at the picture on top and you can easily see that the panel is extended but, the base is not.

Regardless... that tells me that a creative woodworker could easily fabricate some grills if they wanted and blend them easily into the design.

Personally, I think that's a good thing for new Jubilee buyers who upgrade to the prettier front panels. Creates more options.

[Y]

It looks to me as though the Cherry panel on front actually extends out from the otherwise 'plane' of the speaker, as though perhaps, it was added on to a panel under it which itself might be "on" the plane of the speaker?

Correct, it is 3/4" extending out, attached to the front.

So in the one pic showing the TV in the center, that's a Jubilee horn on top of a LaScala bass bin? Holy crap does that put into perspective how big the Jubilees are!!

My thoughts exactly when I saw that pic. Didnt realize just how big that 402 horn is...

Didnt realize just how big that 402 horn is...

Bear in mind that in the picture, the top section of the LaScala is missing, rendering it maybe 12" (a guess) shorter than a single piece LaScala.

That said, yes.... if you look at raw dimensions, the length/width of the K402 is still bigger than the height/width of a single piece LaScala.

It's kind of interesting when you can tell someone that your tweeter is bigger than their entire speaker! [:o]

post-15072-1381968536883_thumb.jpg

Didnt realize just how big that 402 horn is...

Bear in mind that in the picture, the top section of the LaScala is missing, rendering it maybe 12" (a guess) shorter than a single piece LaScala.

Surprise

I have just a LS bass bin and it is around 24".

That should sound spectacular[:D] [Y] !!