The RW-12d is at $300 shipped again

jhoak

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is on at Newegg again . . . The Rw 12d for $299 shipped with promo code: EMCNCJA36 @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL071912&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL071912-_-EMC-071912-Index-_-HomeAudioSpeakers-_-82780078-L06C

. . . . Sale ends 7/25or earlier if they run out. I have used this little sub in a home office setup . . . Really good for that.

I had a sub-12 a real room shaker for movies, not terribly accurate but I loved it.

Decided to switch to the RW-12, because it is directional instead of down-firing.

The RW is far more accurate IMHO, but not a room shaker for movies.

The reason I say it is more accurate, is listening to Alison Krause Live Blue Ray Concert, you can clearly hear every pluck of the bass, sounds real to me.

Depends on the application, if I get a bigger place I may add a down-firing sub and turn it on for movies behind the sofa.

Hope this helps

RW 12d is a Great budget sub at the $300 price point . . . Best you can get for $300 IMHO . . RT 10d better for music than the RW 12d, of course. But chrap for some movie thimp, the $300 RW 12d works better than any other NEW $300 sub I know of, with the remote feature too. Spend more if you want to go lower then 24hz.

How do these compare to the RW-10d? I used to own an RW-10d and was not hugely impressed, but I am thinking this might make a great gift for my brother who has an Onkyo HTIB with a garbage sub.

I was hoping to get a comparison of the RW-10d actually. The comparison of the RT-10d helps, but I am surprised you think the RW-12d is better for movies than an RT-10d. Obviously the RT-12d is a better sub than the RT-10d and the RW-12d is better than the RW-10d, so I can only guess as to the performance of the RW-12d and the RT-10d as I have never owned or listened to either. But going from an RW-10d to an RT-12d, the difference was astoundingly good for both movies and music. I would have thought the RT-10d would still have been a better bet for movies than the RW-12d because of the sheer upgrade I heard going from the RW-10d to the RT-12d, but just not as much.

I was hoping to get a comparison of the RW-10d actually. The comparison of the RT-10d helps, but I am surprised you think the RW-12d is better for movies than an RT-10d. Obviously the RT-12d is a better sub than the RT-10d and the RW-12d is better than the RW-10d, so I can only guess as to the performance of the RW-12d and the RT-10d as I have never owned or listened to either. But going from an RW-10d to an RT-12d, the difference was astoundingly good for both movies and music. I would have thought the RT-10d would still have been a better bet for movies than the RW-12d because of the sheer upgrade I heard going from the RW-10d to the RT-12d, but just not as much.

For MUSIC the RT-10d is better than the RW-12d . . . IMHO, the RT10d and RW-12d are about the same for movies . . . If I was buying for music, I would buy an RT-10d over the RW-12d . . . But for movies, I would buy the RW-12d, BECUASE OF THE $300 price NEW on this newegg deal.

The RT-10d is a grouping of 3 woofers, not just one woofer as in the RW. When you wait a long time and find a really great deal in an Rt-12d you can get used one for, when really lucky, for $800. Expect to find a good used RT-10d can once in a while be gotten at $600. (themrclean has just in garage sale here dropped his price from $600 to $450 on an RT10d available now--great buy from a trusted forum member--plus shipping if you are not local to pick up). RTs were real wood veneer (the RW-12d is vinyl covered). So, when you find an RT that has not been ridden hard for several years, plan to pay a premium. If I really was only listening to music and only would consider a Klipsch subwoofer, I would find (and plan to pay a premium) an RT-10d or an RT-12d. The RTs go down to 22hz, not sufficient if you listen to pipe organ music. If it were me, I would buy themrclean's RT10d right now, if I was wanting a small room sized sub and did not care about a warranty.)

So . . . For a budget sub to primarily,watch movies with that is NIB, the $300 RW-12d from newegg is a good deal for a Klipsch sub to watch movies in a small HT (or in my case, the wife's home office) setup. Had one been available when I was looking, I would have bought Themrclean's amazingly priced $450 RT-10d (no, I do not get a commission). But, he only has one available and newegg has a bunch. NIB for $300 shipped with warranty, I am hard pressed to find a better deal on any new sub, bang for the buck, even one that is not a Klipsch.

At the newegg discount price, no real need to compare the the RW-12d and RW-10d when about the best deal on a RW-10d NIB is $105 more than the RW-12d, and the RW-10d specs are much weaker (see at Klipsch.com).

Hope that clarifies my opinion a little more.

• 5 months later...

I had a sub-12 a real room shaker for movies, not terribly accurate but I loved it.

Decided to switch to the RW-12, because it is directional instead of down-firing.

The RW is far more accurate IMHO, but not a room shaker for movies.

The reason I say it is more accurate, is listening to Alison Krause Live Blue Ray Concert, you can clearly hear every pluck of the bass, sounds real to me.

Depends on the application, if I get a bigger place I may add a down-firing sub and turn it on for movies behind the sofa.

Hope this helps

This is confusing to me, I own the RW-12d and have heard the sub-12 before, the RW-12d is superior in every respect, including its room shaking abilities. It can tear paint off the walls with ease.

RW 12d is a Great budget sub at the $300 price point . . . Best you can get for $300 IMHO . . RT 10d better for music than the RW 12d, of course. But chrap for some movie thimp, the $300 RW 12d works better than any other NEW $300 sub I know of, with the remote feature too. Spend more if you want to go lower then 24hz.

Agreed 100%. However, I have compared the RW-12d to a few Internet direct subs, it easily held its own. I also own the bic pl-200, fantastic sub as well, the two best subs in their price range. I will say, the RW-12d certainly goes much lower than the specs, mine goes down to about 16hz in room usable response. I do have it running with the bic pl-200, so I'm sure that helps. I was able to get 19hz with authority with just the klipsch though.

IMHO a pair of RW12d are OK for HT but so so the 2 channel side. I had a RW12 on my 2 channel side and a SVS PB12 Plus 2 sub on the HT side I switched them one day and never switch back. I have 600 in the pair of RW-12s and 700 in a used SVS.

I guess it's how much do you like your bass? Myself I got kind of use to John Entwistle standing in my basement stage right. LOL

post-49915-13819827778174_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

...is that the consensus view?

"if that's not the consensus view, than let's put her to a vote!"

It's up to $499.99 shipped. Still a half price of MSRP. Do we hold out for it to drop to $300 again or pounce on it for $500?

I'd wait if i were you. I'm sure it will be on sale again. But if you can't it's less thru Amazon right now. BTW the MSRP is somewhat inflated. I believe it was closer to 799.00 before being discontinued.