In what format did you buy your last music album?

twu

My last 10 purchases have been brand new in the wrapper vinyl. Its hard to buy used after trying virgin vinyl.

This is interesting - I had the same experience, then I remembered that used CDs are just as good as new ones, so I buy used and overstocked CDs on Amazon now at reduced prices. I have a large box of empty jewel cases that I've acquired from Amazon that I use to replaced aged/cracked ones, and I already own a CD resurfacing/buffing machine for any used CDs that come in that have any issues playing on the PS3 (Blu-Ray) -->HDMI --> DAC/preamp which seems to be the most picky about tracking (i.e., blue laser instead of red).

The quality of the used CDs surpasses new vinyl in every case except some '70s CD reissues of pop and rock titles. In those cases, I find that new reissue SACDs and import CDs usually solve the badly mix/mastered CD problems, and at greater fidelity than I've ever heard before. Most impressive are multi-channel Elton John SACD reissues that place separate instruments/voices in each channel: these are outstanding.

Chris

My last 10 purchases have been brand new in the wrapper vinyl. Its hard to buy used after trying virgin vinyl.

This is interesting - I had the same experience, then I remembered that used CDs are just as good as new ones, so I buy used and overstocked CDs on Amazon now at reduced prices. I have a large box of empty jewel cases that I've acquired from Amazon that I use to replaced aged/cracked ones, and I already own a CD resurfacing/buffing machine for any used CDs that come in that have any issues playing on the PS3 (Blu-Ray) -->HDMI --> DAC/preamp which seems to be the most picky about tracking (i.e., blue laser instead of red).

The quality of the used CDs surpasses new vinyl in every case except some '70s CD reissues of pop and rock titles. In those cases, I find that new reissue SACDs and import CDs usually solve the badly mix/mastered CD problems, and at greater fidelity than I've ever heard before. Most impressive are multi-channel Elton John SACD reissues that place separate instruments/voices in each channel: these are outstanding.

Chris

I've had trouble with used cds as well. CDs can get scratched just as easily. When they first came out they were touted as unbreakable. I haven't tried a resurfacing machine. I am interested in that. I buy all mediums from tape to vinyl to cd to digital. My next big project will be a nice music server. No need to start yet another cd vs vinyl debate we can just agree to disagree.

And it hasn't harmed any CDs?

Note that the data layer is actually on the top surface of CDs - you can resurface to your heart's delight on the bottom surface of the CD.

I found this out the hard way by trying to remove an old library sticker from the top surface of an Amazon-bought used CD (i.e., libraries regularly sell-off their multiple copies of older CDs), whereby I pulled off a portion of the aluminum data layer and had a partially transparent CD [:o].

If you can hold your CD up to a light source and see no microscopic-sized pinpoints of light showing through the data layer, then you probably have a resurfaceable CD. There are a couple of CDs that I own that have top-surface damage that the Blu-Ray player doesn't like, but my Oppo red-light laser player will read through easily. If that's the case, then I just duplicate the CD and place the damaged CD and the duplicate CD in the original artwork jewel case for proof of ownership.

Chris

Chris

Like Seti said there is no need to rehash this debate, but its quite evident the digital sounds better than the vinyl in your system. In my system its the total opposite. BTW, I have all the multi-channel Elton John SACD's, and I still prefer the original and Japanese vinyl pressings. [:)]

Mike

I haven't tried a resurfacing machine. I am interested in that.

This is what I use. I'm very satisfied...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GX31G6/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Chris

That is very cool. And it hasn't harmed any CDs? If so I'll have to try that I have a couple CDs that skip on my favorite songs.

Just take one to your local Used video game shop. I bet they have one? Mine will do a lightly scratched one for $2.00 and if it is really bad I think it was $4.00.

Have to say I have gone to the digital side for the most part. I have been ordering high resolution music from HDtrack.com (92khz/24bit) and have been very very pleased. Have to say that in direct comparison to vinyl (depending on the lp) I find some of the offerings superior in just about every way.

The music server, for me, has been great. Doesnt mean that I still dont spin the LPs but if the music is available on HDtrack that is my preference.

Josh

Used CD's the last few. I have bought about 100 used vinyl over the last year. I still have about 70 of them to clean and try out. The CD's I just pop in and play. If they don't they hit the garbage can. Heck Best Buy has old release CD's in wrapper and new for 5 to 7 bucks. Plan on filling in my library with a few of those