Upgrading 67' Cornwalls but with backout plan

muel

I've got some upgrade plans for my old Cornwalls (beautiful dark oiled walnut) but I don't want to do anything to degrade or devalue them. I've been wanting to try new mid horns but I'm NOT cutting into these cabinets! I'll be setting the mid horn and tweeter on top (I'm building a motor board or box for them) and will need connections through the back to the ALK crossovers installed inside. I'm thinking I will eventually build some Cornscalas and return these to the original drivers and horns.

Any ideas for a tasteful terminal strip, barrier block, or other connector that I could use that I could remove (or not) and it wouldn't screw up the original look of these speakers? I thought about building new backs but I'm concerned that the original backs could get lost or damaged over time.

I know in the update and modification area there might not be as much concern for originality but my main concern is to be able to return to that point.

post-38437-1381968571412_thumb.jpg

Thanks... those binding posts look good! Do you think those would adversely affect the value installed in the original backs? Worst case I could remove them and use wood filler in the holes.

Am I worrying a little too much about this?

sorry, I didn't explain this....., if you buy the binding post like I should you a link for, what you would do is remove the current connection points, there will be two holes that go all the way thru on the wood, you would put the new terminals into those two holes. Nothing needs to be done to the backs, this would be completely reversable if you wanted to. Let me know if you have more questions.

If you're going to build boxes for the new horns to sit on top you're going to need to get a wire out of the cabinet to hook up to the drivers.

If I were doing it I'd cut new backs and get terminal plates like these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-281

Remove the straps and you have two connection points. One from the amplifier and the other up to the squawker driver.

As for storing the old backs wrap them in a couple of layers of heavy duty 39 gallon trash bags, label them, and slide them under a bed. When I had Cornwalls the backs were under the guest room bed. When it came time to put them back in to place they looked just like they did when I took them off.

Thanks for the input! I think I'll go ahead and make new backs and try to protect the original ones.

Now, for the backs I can go with some 3/4" but in a couple of weeks I will have access to a vacuum veneer press. A fellow has offered to help me make some 1 inch panels out of 2 layers of 1/2" birch plywood. I'm thinking this would be really strong and rigid... especially if we used epoxy between those sheets. I don't know how much time his press would be available but it has me thinking about getting a cut sheet ready for any other project (Cornscala) I might be thinking about!

The current backs appear to be lumber core plywood. I kind of doubt if today's lumber core is as good as in 1967. I know Baltic Birch is highly thought of but looking for other good options. Free access to the vacuum press makes the 2 layers of 1/2' interesting! Your opinions are welcome... wha da ya think?

Used Cornwalls aren't particularly valuable or collectible, so unless you have some very special custom models, I wouldn't worry about modifications. Generally people interested in Klipsch heritage models are knowledgable about Klipsch and are primarily interested in the sound, so updates that improve performance (such as rebuilding crossovers and adding braces) only increase the value. Renewing cabinet veneers and grilles never hurts either, although beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I've seen some cosmetic updates here on the forums that I personally didn't find very attractive. So my advice there would be to stay on the conservative side unless you never plan to resell them.

If you are experimenting with drivers, you can bring out the driver connections to a second terminal strip on the back, and add a third strip for the drivers inside the cabinet. You can then make jumper wires to connect the internal drivers to the crossover or pull them and connect external drivers.

As said, the "best practice" is to store your old backs and make new ones with several jacks or barrier strip configurations to accomodate your plans.

Actually, best practice is to not waste time and money duplicating something that has no real value to a potential purchaser, especially when any minor changes like adding terminal strips can be reversed with a little bit of wood putty, sandpaper and paint. Original drivers, crossovers and hard to replace parts like grilles in original cane fabric are a different story. You're a lot better off putting your money into things you can hear like replacing the caps on the crossovers.

Used Cornwalls aren't particularly valuable or collectible....

...Actually, best practice is to not waste time and money duplicating something that has no real value to a potential purchaser...

Sure they are collectible! You will find many of us here (albeit some collections are smaller than others). Valuable? They are to me.

As far as my time and money... 20 bucks of plywood and a couple cuts on the table saw isn't a big deal. A stiffer back might help as well. As far as cutting into a 40 year old speaker cabinet I am not going to go into that lightly. If it is a beater in tough shape that is one thing but most of my equipment is in very nice condition and I consider myself to be a caretaker of speakers that I hope out live me.

I will be receiving my Fastracs from Gothover soon and they will reside on top of the Corns for now. Later, I might rebuild some some cornwall wreck or build from scratch. The 67's will go back to their original configuration. Funny thing about restoring or building this kind of stuff... my labor is just for fun because I never see a dime for it.

A fellow has offered to help me make some 1 inch panels out of 2 layers of 1/2" birch plywood.

I think the standard size is 3/4 of an inch. if you put in a 1" back, it will stick out 1/4 of an inch and look funky. If you try to move the bracking in 1/4 to accomidate a thicker back, your going to hit the mid driver.

Sure they are collectible! You will find many of us here (albeit some collections are smaller than others). Valuable? They are to me.

As far as my time and money... 20 bucks of plywood and a couple cuts on the table saw isn't a big deal. A stiffer back might help as well. As far as cutting into a 40 year old speaker cabinet I am not going to go into that lightly. If it is a beater in tough shape that is one thing but most of my equipment is in very nice condition and I consider myself to be a caretaker of speakers that I hope out live me.

I will be receiving my Fastracs from Gothover soon and they will reside on top of the Corns for now. Later, I might rebuild some some cornwall wreck or build from scratch. The 67's will go back to their original configuration. Funny thing about restoring or building this kind of stuff... my labor is just for fun because I never see a dime for it.

I sure can't think of where I'd get a sheet of solid core 3/4" plywood (of the quality you'd need to create something comparable to what is already on the Cornwall) for $20. Let me know where you get it, I'd like to buy a few dozen sheets. I will concede that the Cornwall can be a collectible speaker in the sense that people keep them long after most speakers end up in the dumpster.

AH...The expert can't find void free Baltic Birch....funny, I buy it wholesale for 33 a sheet (5' x 5'). I'm pretty sure you can get more than two Cornwall backs out of a sheet. Even at 55.00 a sheet, the cost he quoted is still within reason. Negativity breeds in every post you make. Is it your quest to put everybody on the forum down.....?

• 2 weeks later...

Used Cornwalls aren't particularly valuable or collectible....

...Actually, best practice is to not waste time and money duplicating something that has no real value to a potential purchaser...

Muel, T.H.E. Droid: makes a good point. Sales on used Cornwall dropped so bad that Klipsch brought it back. LOL