Whats more important? Audio or video?

Kain

I thought I would get people's opinions on this topic. Smile.gif

What is more important to you when watching movies, audio performance or video performance? Smile.gif

If you ask me, I am not sure really. I want the best of both! cwm35.gif

However, I would probably give the edge to better audio performance. Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" Direct View FD Triniton WEGA)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Dude, that takes me back to the old Budweiser comercial...

Less Filling vs Tastes Great.

Living in UAE, you may never have seen the comercial.cwm1.gif

Personally, if you don't even have a TV to watch anything on, whats the point? If you have a TV, then you most likely you have sound. I think this is a question your going to have to figure out on your own. What would you rather deal with, a TV that is lacking or a sound system that is lacking.

I would probably say, for me at least, having a decient TV would be heigher priority. A decient TV will have decient sound built in right? Or at least in a lot of cases.

But then again let me ask you this. How much TV/DVD etc do you watch? Do you listen to music more than you watch TV? If you listen to more music, than you watch TV, then by all means get that R7 series first.

Hope this helps. I am no froyd or how ever you spell his name. cwm1.gif

------------------

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 05-17-2002 at 12:33 PM

You have to have a little of both i would say. But to

me the audio is more important. I can deal with a smallish

screen ( hence my pos 27 inch ) for now but i would

rather have better sound then video. But if the money

was there i would say they both should be equal.

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Harman Kardon AVR-510 Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

pwk.gif

R.I.P. Paul W. Klipsch THE LEGEND! 3/9/04 - 5/5/02

I believe that for me at least, that the audio would be more of a priority than video, but only due to the high cost of audio components. It is usually cheaper to upgrade video components than buy new speakers, amps, processors, preamps, etc. Again , this is just one man's opinion and I do not speak on behalf of everyone. Only you can decide what is of higher priority.

If spending money is the measure, audio wins by at least a 4:1 margin. I find marginal audio to be far more disconcerting than marginal video. It is easier to use my imagination to fill in video... which is, after all, a visual illusion. I buy Mitsubishi's 65" HDTV in an attempt to be seeing there... but I buy Klipsch because it delivers the best sensation of BEING THERE -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-18-2002 at 12:36 AM

For ME, I would say audio, as I listen to WAY more music than TV/Movies.

With a computer monitor, I would have no trouble spending $2,000-$4,000 on a good monitor. I LOVE computer monitors...

I agree with HornED. You can "fill in the gaps" with decent video. Audio, well, you get what comes out of the speakers.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did shipping on the SVS set you back? While living in England, I bought a spotting scope ($400, <5 pounds) from Cabela's and shipping cost me $65 USD!!! It didn't even have any fun with customs! I THINK things are a little different in the UAE, but let me know, I am interested.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

GOTTA be audio!!

Example: I took the boys to see "Spiderman" last week and while the screen was huge the audio sucked big time. Just way too quiet and the explosions didn't hit me in the chest. Had the same experience at "Blade 2" the other week in another theater. For me the sound's where it's at...

It's the audio, no doubt. Watching The Matrix on a 32" TV was never so thrilling as it was when we saw it at the Klipsch factory. The sound was played through Jubilee mains, Belle center, K-horn rears and an RSW-15 subwoofer. Gunshots in the lobby slapped your chest just like at the range! After 10 minutes, I forgot there was a screen at all! I bought the DVD as soon as I got home.

John

for most of us, it appears that audio gets the $$'s first. i sell to alot of different people, and some just want the big tv, some add a modest sound sys.(ALOT of sat/sub systems due to less $'s and waf)and i tell people-'full-range floor standing speakers (especially up front) SOUND BEST!'--and still..they get something small most often.

i had my system set up w/a 32"sharp, and enjoyed it, but when i brought a projector home and set up a 100"(now 84")screen,that BIG PICTURE IMPACT is hard to deny.

i feel so-so video is easier to contend with than so-so sound. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I'd give the edge to better sound.

One reason is that music and sound effects give an emotional addition to the presentation. Many sources have great audio which is not appreciated.

Of course you have to consider what baseline you're starting from. Most TV sets have poor speakers.

For example, years ago, routing the TV audio through a midrange grade stereo system added a lot to Star Trek, Next Generation. There was music which before had not be recogizable. Sound effects, even just engine noise, added a lot.

Gil

For me also the sound. Like Horned said: the picture still stays an illusion. It can not be real because it is 2 dimentional. The sound is 3 dimentional and can give a real impression!!

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-909RDS

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP

SubW: KSW-12

I still waiting to get into big screen, but soon I will.

One issue of what is more important, audio or video, is what content is a given movie which give emotional impact.

I'd say that some, few movies are such cinematic beauties that I look forward to seeing them in highest resolution video.

The foremost is "Days of Heaven". A gem.

While somewhat dated by today's standards, I'd like to see the effects in 2001. Some of it is nostalgia. Before that flick we had to watch little model rocket ships on strings.

Another favorite old movie for sets is, "Forbidden Planet."

Regards,

Gil

In my case, with a 27" 1986 Vintage RCA Colortrack 2000 TV, audio is the most important consideration. I'm just happy that when I switch the power on for my RCA, that it still power up!

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD

in those younger days we used to listen to a lot of "tunes" while watching something else on the tube (& also while eating a lot of pizza followed by cookie dough). Wink.gif

now days we can have our cookie dough & eat it too as in the material that has both - love those dvd concerts (especially when i see eagles are coming to town to a big audio barn & tic prices are 86-$136 each). cwm25.gif

but anybody ever notice when watching a show w/ the sound off or on something else, the actors' abilities or self-consciousness become more aparent? iow, audio adds a whole nother dimension.

but vic-versa too. video w/ the music is what made mtv

(in the early days anyway). video makes the music sound better if you know what i mean. cwm16.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-20-2002 at 01:59 PM

Forbidden Planet was one of the first DVDs I bought. The first time I showed it to the boys, they were in Mom's lap (both, 8 & 10) whining when the Monster of the Id was burning through the Krell-metal door. They were so into it; it was a hoot!

John