From RF-63 to RF-83?

wake175m5

I currently have a pair of RF-63s that act as the left and right channels in my 5.1 theater setup and as my stereo music listening setup. They are great when I am watching movies but when I am listening to music I would like a speaker that can handle a bit more power since I usually like my music very loud! ? I have compared the specs on the 63s vs. 83s and in theory it seems like the 83s would be able to get a lot louder but I was hoping someone would be able to confirm it for sure. Another option I have thought about in order to get some more volume is adding another pair of 63s so that I have two RF-63s acting as my Left channel and two RF-63s acting as my Right channel. I use my Onkyo as a pre/pro and then an Emotiva 5 channel amp; my thought was to simply use a pair of RCA splitters between the Onkyo and the Emotiva so that I would have 2 Left channels and 2 Right channels feeding the amp and then connect each of the 4 RF-63s to their own outbound channels of the amp. I think this method would be safe in that it wouldnt mess up the 8 ohm impedance ratings. Am I correct with this?

Thoughts?

I have compared the specs on the 63’s vs. 83’s and in theory it seems like the 83’s would be able to get a lot louder but I was hoping someone would be able to confirm it for sure.

What in the specs gives you that impression? The RF-83 is 1dB more sensitive and is rated to handle 250 watts vs 175 of the RF-63. That equates to a grand total of 2.6dB difference. If you want "a lot" more volume, you need a much larger speaker. Like Jubilee sized...

Out of curiosity, what are you using for a subwoofer?

I have compared the specs on the 63’s vs. 83’s and in theory it seems like the 83’s would be able to get a lot louder but I was hoping someone would be able to confirm it for sure.

What in the specs gives you that impression? The RF-83 is 1dB more sensitive and is rated to handle 250 watts vs 175 of the RF-63. That equates to a grand total of 2.6dB difference. If you want "a lot" more volume, you need a much larger speaker. Like Jubilee sized...

Everything he just said. You will never pump a full 175w into the RF-63's or even 250w into RF-83's unless you want to be replacing parts very often.

You may get a little more presence(bigger sound) with the RF-83's but very few more dB's. You want real volume, only the LaScalas, Khorns, Belles and Jubilees can really bring it effortlessly.

Bill