Heresy 1's with Type C Crossover

Khodabear

I have a pair of Heresy 1's - 8L605 and 8L606

I found inside them type C crossovers. Threads here have confused me.

Some seem to say The two are the same but for the values of the capacitors.

The C has a 1mfd and a 2 mfd as opposed to 2 each of 2 mfd in the expected Type E.

The drivers are K55 K77 and a 22E Woofer

Can I use two 2 mfd capacitors in this Type C crossover or must I go with the original 1 and 2?

I ask because I relied upon Common Wisdom and ordered all 2's for the recap. Certainly I can get 1's but it would not be convenient.

Thanks for any input!

Peter

in Denver

The tweeter is K77 Mid Horn is K55

the mid driver is k-55. you need to get a flash light and find the model of the horn itself in rasied cast lettering. It will say k-700 or k-1000.

Heresy network change from type C to type D came as a result of increased output of the woofer. Autoformer taps were raised for midrange and tweeter circuits by one step (3dB) each along with the corresponding change in cap values. The type E network followed the type D not too long after when testing showed improved response was possible by reversing the polarity of the midrange and tweeter output relative to the woofer. The type E network is simply a type D rewired to accomplish the polarity reversal.

So...what does this mean for me - the C owner?

Should I rewire to E specs? How could I take advantage of the polarity reversal?

Confusion regins supreme

Peter

You should proceed with your original plan and replace the caps with newer ones using the same values.

There were different types of drivers used over the period that involved the C, D, and e. all were labled the same. The cabinet depth's were different on the earlier models than the later ones.

If you really want to do an analisys as to where you can go with this, put up pictures of your drivers, the impedence of your tweeter, and the actual physical size of your cabinet.