Changed from small to large

wuzzzer

Tonight I changed my Fortes from small to large on my receiver's menu. HOLY CRAP. Before I had my sub I of course had them set to large. After I got my sub I had them set to small and crossed over at 80Hz. My receiver allows front speaker crossover settings at 80Hz, 100Hz, 150Hz and 200Hz. I always had them set to 80Hz. I thought I'd experiment changing them to large. Unbelievable difference! Everything must be dialed in perfectly as far as phase, etc. because its crazy what I'm hearing and feeling.

Setting all the speakers to small gives good results. But, some avr's manage phase issues and standing waves very well, so the user has more options. I have my fronts, surround back and surround set to large. This is great for music listening. Pioneer's MCACC does a good job with room correction.

One thing you're hearing is all the sounds from 20-40 and d40-80 (two BIG octaves of energy) now able to join the soundscape of movement. Whereas before all the sounds were comming from that box in the corner. i have similar with THX subs LS at small in front, but CW in rear at LARGE so front-to rear explosions and stuff are actually felt.

I think it is almost an injustice to run the Forte/Forte II as small and an 80Hz crossover. I love the tight lower bass that they produce with the active and passive woofers working harmoniously together. Glad one "small" tweek made such an improvement in your system.

Bill

Tonight I changed my Fortes from small to large on my receiver's menu.

Audyssey usually will set the speakers to full range if they have anything to add below ~80-100 Hz. That should be a rule of thumb, IMHO.

Also note that Floyd Toole's book advocates full-range speakers all around, not "little speakers and a sub". This is interesting in that Dr. Toole used to be the chief engineer for Harman Industries, which includes Crown, Harman Kardon, JBL, Infinity, Mark Levinson, AKG, dbx, Selenium, etc.

Chris

I just posted on another thread that the RF 7's are always set to full range with subs. These speakers as well as yours were designed to play well below 80 and IMO, when you take that away, you're taking away a lot from the sound they reproduce.

I just posted on another thread that the RF 7's are always set to full range with subs. These speakers as well as yours were designed to play well below 80 and IMO, when you take that away, you're taking away a lot from the sound they reproduce.

+1.gif

Yeah, most speakers "we" use should be set to large. Too many Home Theater influences, creeping into the 2 channel listening. Two good reasons to set to small, either your speakers can't reproduce the low freqs, or your amp can't drive those low freqs. at high volumes. We suffer from neither of those situations with Klipsch Heritage Series.

Set them to Large and Hear all of the Music!!! thumbup.gif

Dennie

• Moderators

Too many Home Theater influences, creeping into the 2 channel listening.

[Y]

Your right, when I first read this I was thinking I thought it sounded better set to small, here. Not until I realized it's for 2 ch that i really got what he was saying. With 6 fortes playing for ht to me it sounded better set to small but with just two, large makes more sense. [Y]

Too many Home Theater influences, creeping into the 2 channel listening.

Yes

Your right, when I first read this I was thinking I thought it sounded better set to small, here. Not until I realized it's for 2 ch that i really got what he was saying. With 6 fortes playing for ht to me it sounded better set to small but with just two, large makes more sense. Yes

I bet with all 6 Fortes playing, small is the right/best setting. I can't imagine all the bass freqs. bouncing around the room would sound good.

Dennie

I checked and when playing CDs the sub and main speakers are playing. There isn't a separate setting in the receiver's menu for 'double bass' or anything like that so I'm glad its set that way by default!

My Pioneer Elite AVR has settings for Sub - Off/On/Plus. The Plus setting is to run the mains as large PLUS the sub. I guess the default is sub off when setting the mains to large. I typically run in the Plus Mode for 2 channel....thumbup.gif

Dennie

I bet with all 6 Fortes playing, small is the right/best setting. I can't imagine all the bass freqs. bouncing around the room would sound good.

Oops...Are you saying that you have room mode issues? Actually, the non-directionality of acoustic energy below 100 Hz means that you actually WANT distributed production of these frequencies - as long as they're time-aligned on the initial impulse--something that AVPs/AVRs do well.

I recommend Tool's book for light reading on this subject. Also he has another article (the "Part 3" article from Harman International) on subs that directly talks about this subject.

Chris

I have my RF-7s set to "Large" as well. I've played around with this back when I first got my rig and just found I liked the sound of it much better with the fronts set to "Large". I have the rears set to small in an HT configuration, however. Again, this was after much experimentation and came to what I felt sounded the best to me given my particular setup and room.

Like most of us, I started out with the recommended 80hz setting with my Cornwalls; then went to 60 for awhile. Now I am at 40 and find I like it best. My technician friend told me that at the beginning and I should have listened. Tried 7.2 and didn't see much benefit in that. Sold a pair of my Heresy IIIs and went 5.1. I now only listen to 2 channel for music and am most pleased with the system. Experiment and see which you like best but I do recommend the large setting. Perfect for my room!!