Promedia 2.1 Subwoofer ohm rating?

liplesseagle

I don't understand what the "secret" seems to be about no one knowing what the damn impedence or ohm rating of the 61/2inch sub is? I have looked everywhere and i know that the SATELLITES only are 4ohm. people have been confusing satellites with the sub impedence. I cannot find a single thread where someone has said that the klipsch promedia 2.1 system has a sub that runs at ?? ohms just satellites. If you know for sure please share

Thanks

Hello Liplesseagle,

I've got the 2.1 system and have it limping right now (right channel doesn't work).

I'll take a measurement of my sub speaker's resistance and post it here over the weekend. Perhaps tomorrow.

I've have to replace the main power transformer on my system after the thermal fuse called it quits after about 9 years.

Just hold tight for a little bit.

Christopher

I HAVE SINCE FIXED THE THE RIGHT CHANNEL PROBLEM.

Turns out to have been a corroded copper tracing on the circuit board before the signal goes to the amp card.

See more details at my website: http://christopherbradshaw.net/The_Project_Bin/klipsch%20promedia%20subwoofer%20repair%20-%20page%201.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello again and here's the speaker readings I took:

Sub speaker terminals with no wires connected: 5.7 ohms

Satellite speakers with the wires attached, tested at the ends of the wires: Left: 5.9 ohms, Right: 6.2 ohms

Hope this helps!

I also decided to compare the output terminals for both channels on the back of the amp box as I have a failing right channel.

The odd thing is that when I select different ohm ranges on the multimeter I get a different resistance reading. Also the readings tend to climb upward at a certain rate (like it's walking up(capacitor?)) and then rest at a value. Here are the channels and ohmic ranges:

LEFT CHANNEL: Ohm Range 0 - 2,000 => (too high for this setting)

Ohm Range 0 - 20,000 => 8,5000 ohms

Ohm Range 0 - 200,000 => 55,000 ohms

Ohm Range 0 - 2,000,000 => 385,000 ohms

RIGHT CHANNEL: Ohm Range 0 - 2,000 => (too high for this setting)

Ohm Range 0 - 20,000 => (too high for this setting)

Ohm Range 0 - 200,000 => (too high for this setting)

Ohm Range 0 - 2,000,000 => Starts at a high realing like 1,600,000 and then climbs out of this top range. There is a issue here.

Christopher

• Like 1

Lol wow something is not right there! No wonder channels are blowing out because the ohm's are all over the place. The sub is either 4ohm or 8ohm. Not 2ohm 1ohm or .5ohm or 5.7ohm lol they don't make subs for 5.7ohm and the only products on the market that make 3 or 6ohm are jl audio for car audio and that's cuz they want you to purchase there amps also. The readings you got on the 2 speakers are just waked haha, doesn't make sense. I am going To buy a dual 4ohm 12inch REx sub and hook it up for 8ohms. I have a Logitech z5500 at home and the amp on it supplies 188wrms at 8ohms just to the sub so I replaced the 10 with a 12 inch 2x4ohm REx sub and it pounds! Klipsch built too small of a box for the amount of power that amp produces, 130wrms to that little 61/2inch sub lol, realistically the sub cannot handle that much power. They make it small for shipping. Anyways thanks for the readings anyway they are kinda messed but I'll see what I can do and let ya know

• 10 years later...
On 1/28/2012 at 8:50 AM, liplesseagle said:

Lol wow something is not right there! No wonder channels are blowing out because the ohm's are all over the place. The sub is either 4ohm or 8ohm. Not 2ohm 1ohm or .5ohm or 5.7ohm lol they don't make subs for 5.7ohm and the only products on the market that make 3 or 6ohm are jl audio for car audio and that's cuz they want you to purchase there amps also. The readings you got on the 2 speakers are just waked haha, doesn't make sense. I am going To buy a dual 4ohm 12inch REx sub and hook it up for 8ohms. I have a Logitech z5500 at home and the amp on it supplies 188wrms at 8ohms just to the sub so I replaced the 10 with a 12 inch 2x4ohm REx sub and it pounds! Klipsch built too small of a box for the amount of power that amp produces, 130wrms to that little 61/2inch sub lol, realistically the sub cannot handle that much power. They make it small for shipping. Anyways thanks for the readings anyway they are kinda messed but I'll see what I can do and let ya know

I know I'm 10 years late I just wanted to point out that when measuring subwoofers in pendants from the terminals on the woofer you're not measuring the independence that the amplifier is being drawn with. And actually a four ohm sub really is up and down depending on what's playing and a few other factors. But when testing a subwoofer with a multimeter the resistance is always going to be a little shallow of what the independence rating actually is. Though it's been a minute and you've probably learned this by now if you ever see this have a good day