My woman is wonderful! Pany VT25 for an early B Day present!

Pete H

A new TCP58VT25 and 3D pack and pany BDT210 Blu Ray..........................I knew she was a keeper but I'm a lucky guy indeed!

Here's the deal we made; went to HHGreg to look at a 60 pany TCP60S30 that was on sale through today for $1,100; great deal for a very good plasma but I also want to look at the Mitsubishi 72" DLP, the Pany VT30 and the Samsung D7000 and 8000 and they were all in one location but I have really been leaning toward the Plasma for a lot of reasons based on my TV location and viewing angle from the kitchen and island bar area as well as watching a lot of sports including a ton of NASCAR so considering any LCD came with the price tag of nothing less than 240 refresh rate.

We looked at the 60" pany first and got all the setting adjusted back to factory and played with them until I was satisfied and for the $$, I would have been well satisfied with this set as I was not hooked on 3D as a must have, I wanted a good TV without breaking the bank. I then went to the Mitsubishi 72" that could be had for about the same money, but that picture was not for us compared to the 60 Pany so it was off to the 55" Samsung that was in the UN55D8000 for around $2,300 which had a great picture and I've had an opportunity to play with the lower version of this at my future B in laws and even that was a very fine picture but at $1,200 more and 5" smaller than the Pany it was on to the other Pany, the VT30 (55") but that too was more than I really wanted to spend although I fell in love with the picture and IMO, it was much better than the Samsung (huge difference in the blacks). I decided that I would take the deal on the Pany 60" and stick to plasma and be happy; but then we turned around and there she was, the Pany 58VT25 with a hand written tag that said floor model only and a number of $1,800 and let the games begin.

I experienced no difference in picture between the VT25 and the VT30 and they both had the best displays in the entire store IMHO (basketball game was on all the units I was looking at and again, I reset everyone that I was considering to try and level the playing field) I really wanted the 58" but put on my poker face and told the salesman that I just thought that was too much for a floor model with tape residue all over the top, no remote and no original manual while Denise kept going, is that a scratch. Here's where we ended up, $1,500 including a 5 year in home full tilt warranty the 3D Blu Ray for $140 and the 3D pack with Avatar for $272 and the remote that should have been with it and a call to the DM to send me an original manual (I know I can download it, but I have a thing about having the actual manual) and 24M SAC.

I had them bubble wrap it and it went in the back seat of the truck and it is hooked up and running and I freaking love the picture. What can I say, I have a great future wife that I love too and she said " happy early birthday, this is what I was getting you anyway".[^][Y]

Floor model plasma? Yikes. Chances are that thing's been run in torch mode the entire time it's been on the floor. How many hours are on it (you can check if you enter service mode)? Any signs of burn-in?

There's no screen burn in or I wouldn't have purchased it, it's covered for 5 years including screen burn in as well as picture degradation, but hey, way to be positive. [Y]

Positive? Hey, it's your TV and your money! I assume you wanted feedback on your purchase or else you wouldn't have posted a thread about it. You got an awesome TV, no doubt, but considering the price you paid, the number of hours on the set, the cosmetic damage to the set that you indicated, the well-documented floating-blacks issue with VT25s, the fact you didn't get a remote or the manual, and the fact the set's two generations old (the 2012 models were just announced at CES), I'd have gone with a TC-P60ST30 in a heartbeat.

Are you sure there's no screen burn? Have you looked at a black screen with the lights off? You might be surprised...

I'll admit, it's a nice birthday gift. My wife got me my RF-82II / RC-62II / RS-52II system for my last birthday. And for our last anniversary, she got me a new Nissan 370Z. So there. [:P]

I think its a good decision on a tv, if my understanding is correct the gt series is similiar to the quality of last years vt series and therefore the st would be a downgrade minus hours on the set, I think the 5 yr warranty while I dont outright buy them is a good decision as well when you can get that thrown in for a floor model, even running torch mode you can clear out any burn in that does occur and likely they dont let them sit on still images for days on end (hopefully) thats a pretty tough package to beat since you got one of last years top tier tvs

Im still waiting patiently for them to closeout this years tvs since I have a 58" plasma that our toddler broke and have since decided to upgrade our ht tv instead and shift them around (I think a 65" vt30 is going to be my choice assuming its priced reasonable) I enjoy quality but much prefer a finding a good deal

She might be a keeper with those good decision making skills [Y]

Good women are hard to find, you and I both got lucky!

The only sure thing about tech is that no matter what you buy, it will be old next week!

Our Sharp 60" with tax was $2100 last July, now the 70" (which was not out when we bought our set) sells for the same thing and our is $450 less [:S]

Enjoy anyway, nevermind the nay sayers lol, I have seen discussions of TVs just out of warranty going south on this board, not all that long ago, back when you had 2 years or until you take it home!

Positive? Hey, it's your TV and your money! I assume you wanted feedback on your purchase or else you wouldn't have posted a thread about it. You got an awesome TV, no doubt, but considering the price you paid, the number of hours on the set, the cosmetic damage to the set that you indicated, the well-documented floating-blacks issue with VT25s, the fact you didn't get a remote or the manual, and the fact the set's two generations old (the 2012 models were just announced at CES), I'd have gone with a TC-P60ST30 in a heartbeat.

Are you sure there's no screen burn? Have you looked at a black screen with the lights off? You might be surprised...

I'll admit, it's a nice birthday gift. My wife got me my RF-82II / RC-62II / RS-52II system for my last birthday. And for our last anniversary, she got me a new Nissan 370Z. So there. Stick out tongue

I had a 370z nismo package solid red #274. Loved that car. Love Zs for that matter.

Good women are hard to find, you and I both got lucky!

The only sure thing about tech is that no matter what you buy, it will be old next week!

Our Sharp 60" with tax was $2100 last July, now the 70" (which was not out when we bought our set) sells for the same thing and our is $450 less Tongue Tied

Enjoy anyway, nevermind the nay sayers lol, I have seen discussions of TVs just out of warranty going south on this board, not all that long ago, back when you had 2 years or until you take it home!

They sure are, I had to throw the first two back [:P]

I'm happy with the purchase and if it pukes in 5 years I'm covered and 5 years from now I'll probably be looking at what's available then.

I had a 370z nismo package solid red #274. Loved that car. Love Zs for that matter.

For fear of hijacking this thread, what happened to your NISMO? Based on your other threads I thought you still had it.

And to the OP, I wasn't trying to sound like a ******, really. All that matters is that you're happy with your purchase, and if you are, then good on ya!

I'll admit, it's a nice birthday gift. My wife got me my RF-82II / RC-62II / RS-52II system for my last birthday. And for our last anniversary, she got me a new Nissan 370Z. So there. Stick out tongue

No offense but way to be a buzz kill....

That's a pretty good deal on that set. The VT25 is a very good machine, and while yes, it does have some reported issues with floating blacks, I doubt anyone aside from the most picky of videophiles would have a complaint on that. It's not far off from a VT30 in the bigger picture.....very similar machines.

Even if the TV is a year old, and ran 12 hours a day for a year (and that's pushing it, but if it spent all that time in a store that's about right) you would have 4,000 hours on the set. I doubt that, though - you likely got a recondition or refurb unit that might have had an initial defect, then repaired and sold.

These newer panels are rated to run well in excess of 50,000 hours, and as long as the set passes an initial week or two of watching it in your home you should be OK. If there are picture anomalies you will be much more likely to see those after a few viewing seesions at home as opposed to in store. I assume you have a return/exchange policy if you find any defects with it, and particularly if you see no issues with image retention you should have no worries.

Panasonic plasmas are pretty well made machines with a good rep for service life.

That's a pretty good deal on that set. The VT25 is a very good machine, and while yes, it does have some reported issues with floating blacks, I doubt anyone aside from the most picky of videophiles would have a complaint on that. It's not far off from a VT30 in the bigger picture.....very similar machines.

Even if the TV is a year old, and ran 12 hours a day for a year (and that's pushing it, but if it spent all that time in a store that's about right) you would have 4,000 hours on the set. I doubt that, though - you likely got a recondition or refurb unit that might have had an initial defect, then repaired and sold.

These newer panels are rated to run well in excess of 50,000 hours, and as long as the set passes an initial week or two of watching it in your home you should be OK. If there are picture anomalies you will be much more likely to see those after a few viewing seesions at home as opposed to in store. I assume you have a return/exchange policy if you find any defects with it, and particularly if you see no issues with image retention you should have no worries.

Panasonic plasmas are pretty well made machines with a good rep for service life.

No problems at all and I love the picture. Very happy with the purchase and won't go to anyone elses home to watch the super bowl, I'll be right here enjoying my Pany.

Dang, how did I miss this thread??? GREAT score Pete!!! Gotta love that plasma pic. What's your source for tv viewing?

(Great score on the Ms. too!!)

1. Beer 2. Thanks! 3. I do 4. Direct TV 5. If she can tolerate my smart as$ for 3 years you sir are correct! [:P]

They sure are, I had to throw the first two back Stick out tongue

Well apperantly you did very good with the last choice.

Very nice and covered for 5 years, you did good with both choices. Yes

Yea, but I really wish I could have gotten the full 5 year warranty on her too I mean her picture looks great now but what if it starts looking really bad, or she gets really fuzzy, then what?