Technics SL-1200 mkII

Guest Anonymous

The 1200 has been used by DJs for years and is highly regarded by them. You will notice some rumble but it is not a bad DD table. It also depends on the vinyl. Some are inherently more noisy but, If you want to escape that rumble, you'll have to go with a much higher priced table. I use mine to copy LPs to a lossless format with a DBX 3BX and it works very well. For general listening, it's a good turntable. Just be aware that it is not an automatic TT.

The 1200 has been used by DJs for years and is highly regarded by them. You will notice some rumble but it is not a bad DD table. It also depends on the vinyl. Some are inherently more noisy but, If you want to escape that rumble, you'll have to go with a much higher priced table. I use mine to copy LPs to a lossless format with a DBX 3BX and it works very well. For general listening, it's a good turntable. Just be aware that it is not an automatic TT.

Frank,

I was surprised by your response. I thought that maybe you just read bad stuff about the 1200 on the internet, but I see that you have an SL1200 in your sig. I went from a VPI Scout to an SL1200 and never turned back. Actually a better table in my opinion. I modifid mine with a Jelco arm and outboard power box that I built. I have never had any rumble issues and I used it with soem very nice gear.

Chris

The 1200 has been used by DJs for years and is highly regarded by them. You will notice some rumble but it is not a bad DD table. It also depends on the vinyl. Some are inherently more noisy but, If you want to escape that rumble, you'll have to go with a much higher priced table.

Are you talking about rumble caused by an aging platter bearing? My 1978 SL-1400MK2 had a little bearing noise (more like a ticking), but the 2010 SL-1210 M5G I replaced it with is totally silent.

I agree that you have to spend a lot more money to get a much better-sounding 'table, but it might not be possible to find a more reliable turntable. The 1200 series didn't earn the nickname "Wheel of Steel" for no reason.

I went from a VPI Scout to an SL1200 and never turned back. Actually a better table in my opinion. I modifid mine with a Jelco arm and outboard power box that I built.

Chris, was the sound noticeably improved with the Jelco arm? Does that arm have the easy VTA adjustment of the stock arm? Is the Jelco arm easy to fit to the 1200/1210? Just curious.

Is this a good unit for home Audio? Technics SL-1200 mk2?

Are you looking at a particular turntable, or making a general inquiry? The 1200 series evolved over its run, so the later ones work a little better, have suspension improvements, LED cueing light instead of incandescent, and in some cases, upgraded tonearm cables and audio output cables.

Also, high-miler DJ units could be worn and damaged, so you'll want to look for a turntable that was well cared for, now that new ones are nearly impossible to find.

And yes, they're very good for home audio.

I went from a VPI Scout to an SL1200 and never turned back. Actually a better table in my opinion. I modifid mine with a Jelco arm and outboard power box that I built.

Chris, was the sound noticeably improved with the Jelco arm? Does that arm have the easy VTA adjustment of the stock arm? Is the Jelco arm easy to fit to the 1200/1210? Just curious.

I custom made a mount for the Jelco on a CNC machine. You can buy one for about $50 or $100 from a place in England (Artofsound.com). No arm, even the SME IV and V, are easier to adjust than the stock Technics arm. Ease of use is the hallmark of the Technics table. The Jelco arm (a Sumiko MMT Premiere) feels more durable and solid than the stock arm, which feels light. The Jelco arm has adjustable VTA, but it is held by a set screw, which is harder to adjust than the Technics dial.

I have the same one and a decent cartridge (can't remember which one, but I'll look) and it's done well for me, but my last turntable was a Revox and that was many years ago so I couldn't tell you how it compares to some of the others out there.

Think it would be a good home unit?

All I can say is that is is for me and many others from what I understand and looked at prior to purchasing. I'm not a huge vinyl guy but the limited amount of vinyl I have is a special part of my music collection but part of my decision was about the investment and knowing I wasn't going to spend thousands on a table and cartridge and I really wanted to keep it around 500 and this was the table that fit the bill for me, but I'm not the expert here, just my opinion.

I bought two of these in a DJ box with a mixer for under $400 at a pawn shop near where I live. They cleaned up well, and I sold the cheap mixer to an acquaintance, one TT to a co-worker friend. He got it set up with a new stylus and is really happy with it. I now have one left, and paid zero for it. I haven't adjusted it yet, but it's in really good shape. I have a slightly less durable Technics that I am currently using until I get things rearranged in the living room.

The SL1200MKII is a beautiful piece of gear, and will surely outlive me.

Bruce

I was lucky and got a new one a couple of years ago when Amazon was blowing them out for around $300 or so. I have owned a couple of Yamaha turntables and a Thorens I bought new back in the 1980s, and the Technics is my favorite. Mine is totally silent and extraordinarily well built. I have it paired with a very nice Clear Audio cart. and a good tube preamp and I couldn't ask for better.