Thoughts on Klipsch RF-7's, not 7 II:

Vega211R

I am considering on purchasing a used pair of RF-7's in cherry. I have not ever listened to this model before, and they are described to be in MINT condition. To anyone who has ever listened to or even may have this model, what would be your opinion on this discontinued model. The speakers or going for $1300.00 with shipping. Would this be a good price for this model, or should I go with a used pair of RF-83's or the new model RF-7 II's. Just looking for some input since I have no way of listening to the RF-7 before I commit to buy.

Thanks...

id say less than 1300 is a good deal, maybe 1000-1100. They can be on the bright side although i havent necessarily picked out the brightness or harshness in them. They have a big soundstage and my personal opinion is that they arent the best for music at normal regular listening levels. For HT they are great especially if you can toe in and be far enough away for the soundstage to blend better.

Youthman should be able to give you some good input on the 83's and 7's, he has both.

I owned RF-7s for a while and will tell you that they are very sensitive to what amplification you're using. They are very power hungry speakers and if you want to play them loud and clean you'll need a solid amp that can handle very low impedance loads.

I'd be on the lookout for a pair you can pick up personally. You'll be able to get the speakers cheaper and won't have to worry about shipping damage which happens very often with large speakers.

Vega211R,

Welcome to the forum.

The RF-7's are wonderful speakers and do have that "in your face" presence that is great for HT and can be great for music if your source and amplification are up to snuff. Very revealing when junk goes in so junk comes out with a vengence. When set up properly, the RF-7's can be sweet and detailed at low volumes and still pound your face when the volume knob goes up.

I think $1300.00 shipped is a bit stiff because you risk shipping damage and all the garbage that goes with fighting a claim. The shipping alone will be at least $225.00 of that $1300.00.

Where are you located? Maybe a nearby forum member will invite you into his home to take a listen to his RF-7's or your new forum friends can help locate some near you so you will not have to worry about shipping damage.

The RF-83's are another great choice.

Bill

• Moderators

I agree, $1300 for RF-7's is even higher than the "premium" pricing for them. I've seen them sell many times for around $800. I personally would pass and keep looking for a pair locally but that's me.

I have owned both RF7 and RF83 and love both. To my ears, one isn't better than the other, just different sound. To me, the RF7's are not too bright. I enjoy a brighter sound anyways. I've never powered them without a dedicated amp so I cannot comment on how they sound without one. Here is a thread where I compared the size differences as well as sound differences in my setup. Link

Hope that helps.

I am considering on purchasing a used pair of RF-7's in cherry. I have not ever listened to this model before, and they are described to be in MINT condition. To anyone who has ever listened to or even may have this model, what would be your opinion on this discontinued model. The speakers or going for $1300.00 with shipping. Would this be a good price for this model, or should I go with a used pair of RF-83's or the new model RF-7 II's. Just looking for some input since I have no way of listening to the RF-7 before I commit to buy.

Thanks...

if you don't buy thrm can you PM me who has them for sale and their location.. thanks

The photos of the wood itself are not very good. It does look dark though. But in the item specs it saids cherry... This is the ebay item number that I am looking at. This is the ebay item number that I am looking at... 280808229890

Item number: 280808229890

Item number: 280808229890

I'd like to thank everyone for their very "nice" comments here on this thread. Probably prevented me from making a big mistake by selling my speakers on the ebay auction so "nicely" spoken about on this thread. I can't believe all of the awful questions thrown at me by a lot of people on this ebay auction. A good comparison would be like asking me to sell my 12 year old house for $20. Yes, the questions were that stupidly bad and just a waste of my time. I'm not going to "give away" these speakers and know they're worth a lot more than the "ridiculous" numerous "offers" folks were trying to psych me with. Although with the desire for wall-mounted speakers to free up room, I've realized through much research and local auditioning, that nothing will match the openness, impact, effortless dynamics and emotion that the RF-7s along with the RS-7s can bring into movies and music, and I probably would have been kicking myself down the road shortly.

As for ebay - for these speakers, there is NO CHOICE as for the color of the speaker when using eBay's "auto-fill" information about the MPN of an item. I reported this error to ebay stating there should be no color stated, and yes, I was in error by inadvertantly not specifying the color in my listing title; it slipped by me.

As for pictures, ebay has huge issues here. Yes, the pictures look like crap. On my monitor they look VERY sharp, with great detail and contrast. I used my Nikon D5100 with an 18-200mm lens. Even if I down-res'd the pictures to a manageable size to email (with Microsoft Paint), they still retain very good sharpness and detail. If I email them to myself till I'm blue in the face, they still look great. Pictures I down-res'd and have posted on facebook look great. No matter if I down-res or upload the large/intact file, ebay's compression absolutely ruins the pictures, making them look washed out and blurry. I googled this issue and holier-than-thou folks say to use a lightbox, use a tripod, etc. Many other folks have said the same thing; their pictures look GREAT on their computer and look like crap on ebay. Ebay should learn a little from facebook about file compression for folks' pictures as I'm sure facebook has a whole lot more pictures sitting on their servers than ebay does.

It was by chance I stumbled across this forum thread on google, and I'm glad I did. The comments made here were the final push to not sell my very pristine/paid for Klipsch setup. Although I'm not very popular today with a few folks, I'm glad their audacity and desire to "get something for nothing" made me realize the big mistake I was about to make...

Let me be more specific; there were a lot more questions and comments made on the ebay auction than just the few here on this forum. This was just the final straw for me to pull the auctions. But in the long run I know I'll be happier as I stated earlier, especially for movies, there really isn't anything that can match these Klipsch "beasts" for the great things they can do.