VHS/DVD combo units

cmdridq

A friend has a small collection of VHS tapes that he would like to be able to watch, but his VHS deck blew up recently. He doesn't want to make new VHS recordings, so I suggested he check out a combo DVD/VHS machine. I really don't know much about them though. It seems there are straight playback only decks, and also decks that will copy VHS to DVD. The prices are quite variable, and I'm kinda stumped. Does anyone have any experience with these things, and can give me some recommendations or advice. He doesn't want to spend a lot of money on this, since he only watches the recordings occasionally. Thanks.

???

There are services that will do this fairly inexpensively, under $10 per tape converted. I believe many Walgreens will also do it.

Recommend looking into a service rather than buying a machine. I've looked at them a few times over the years and never saw one I would want to own at any price.

Lou

I bought one of these for my 73 year old non-techy mother to convert VHS tapes to DVD in November 2011. $128 ay wallyworld. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-Dvd-Player-Vcr-Combo/11319408. They had the one I bought in stock at the store. I went through the instructions and the first DVD with here, and made notes for the procedure and gave them to her. The device worked well, and I was able to play the DVD's fine on other DVD players. 5 star IMO.

Note: I think the DVD+ are the ones you buy for it. It will do either, but one has limited functionality as I remember.

If they are commercially released tapes, a business isn't supposed to duplicate on DVD IF the same material is available on DVD. If you buy the recorder and do it yourself, that's a different matter. Our A/V folks, who are a part of the department I'm in, have to tell faculty all the time that we can't make DVDs of their tapes if they are available. If they can't be found, are out of print, etc., we can do it.