I miss Audiogon, how about you?

tigerwoodKhorns

I have tried and tried, but I just cannot brouse the new site. This isn't like they made some annoying changes and I need to get used to them. The whole site is just a mess and there is no longer any entertainment in brousing through items anymore.

Is anyone else having the same experience? I have tried to keep an open mind, but after a few minutes I just go to another site. The new site is just painful to use and frustrating, which taakes away any incentive that I may have to use it, after all this is a hobby that we are supposed to enjoy.

Thoughts?

i just got off of the new audiogon site. it's fine as far as i can tell. the old site was hinky, weird, the new site works fine. the new site seems to be more comparable to sites you see nowadays, the old site was a relic.

sorry, just can't go along this time boys....

Change is usually good... when ever things like this happen and I feel a bit confused by it all, I try and gather my thoughts and see if in fact there might be just a different way of approaching the issue that in the end would reveal better results.

I dont like the new layout, but that doesn't mean that it isn't better.

I like the way you can flip through the images now.

They likely waited to long to change the site and had to do it all at once. I'll get used to it.

Perhaps it is a good time to get a good price on an auctioned item while people are confused and pissed about the interface : )

I was away for a couple of days and the whole site changed.Wether good or bad I don't know yet but it's not that hard to get through.On the other hand Polk changed their site again and this time it's terrible.Basically it's the same group of dudes who either lather over each others' stuff or goof on gear that not quite worthy to them.I would take a Klipsch over a polk at any model especially the heritage line.

I can get used to the colors and layout if I have to, but info is missing. If you search a brand such as "Yamaha" you get a jumbled mess of items, not an organized list of amps, receivers, turntables, etc. Brousing is no longer enjoyable and that is probably what most of the traffic does.

They coudl have kep the old layout and inserted images and other search features. Bad idea, especially as most Audiogon types are middle aged or older men. Change is not good in this situation.

I’ve been involved in web site development at one level or another for almost 20 years now. I can tell you in all confidence that the current AudiogoN site rollout is one of the WORST I’ve ever seen.

From an IT point of view you simply DO NOT dump a working site and publish “beta” code. The correct method is to run your current “production” site and your beta site in parallel. From the little bit of time that I’ve spent at the “new” AudiogoN site their code isn’t even “beta” level. Early alpha at BEST.

In the IT world there are a couple of terms for what AudiogoN has put up as their “new” web presence. The clean one is train-wreck. The not so clean one is cluster-#$%^. No matter how you look at it it’s a mess.

Not so long ago part of my morning routine was to peruse the “new today” listings every day. Since the site change I don’t even go there anymore. Which is really kind of sad. I’ve bought AND sold more audio hardware by way of AudiogoN than all of the forums I visit combined.

Now… All of that said… Was the previous version the AudiogoN long overdue for an update? Yes it was. The basic interface was pretty “long in the tooth”.

This is ALL about $$ kids. I’ve watched AudiogoN go from free ads to $2.00 per ad to $4.00 per ad PLUS extra $$ for more than 3 pictures PLUS 2% of the final sales price. The new version has MUCH more third party advertising than the previous version did. And most of the “new” advertisers are COMPLETELY unrelated to audio.

Quite frankly I think it might just be a good time for someone to launch a new audio sales site to compete with AudiogoN. A site with flat rate ads, a current “feedback” system, and discussion forums that don’t suck like the one at AudiogoN always has. Hey… Youthman… Are you reading this?

One of the things that I find kind of funny is that VideogoN hasn’t changed from the original format. I don’t deal in camera equipment but I just noticed that PhotogoN is no longer up.

Don’t get me wrong here. I’m a “capitalist” just like the next guy. I appreciate and approve of “revenue stream” enhancement whenever it presents itself. But to publish an abortion like the current AudiogoN site is nothing short of shooting oneself in the foot.

I will now climb off of my soapbox.