I miss Audiogon, how about you?

tigerwoodKhorns

I’ve been involved in web site development at one level or another for almost 20 years now. I can tell you in all confidence that the current AudiogoN site rollout is one of the WORST I’ve ever seen.

From an IT point of view you simply DO NOT dump a working site and publish “beta” code. The correct method is to run your current “production” site and your beta site in parallel. From the little bit of time that I’ve spent at the “new” AudiogoN site their code isn’t even “beta” level. Early alpha at BEST.

In the IT world there are a couple of terms for what AudiogoN has put up as their “new” web presence. The clean one is train-wreck. The not so clean one is cluster-#$%^. No matter how you look at it it’s a mess.

Not so long ago part of my morning routine was to peruse the “new today” listings every day. Since the site change I don’t even go there anymore. Which is really kind of sad. I’ve bought AND sold more audio hardware by way of AudiogoN than all of the forums I visit combined.

Now… All of that said… Was the previous version the AudiogoN long overdue for an update? Yes it was. The basic interface was pretty “long in the tooth”.

This is ALL about $$ kids. I’ve watched AudiogoN go from free ads to $2.00 per ad to $4.00 per ad PLUS extra $$ for more than 3 pictures PLUS 2% of the final sales price. The new version has MUCH more third party advertising than the previous version did. And most of the “new” advertisers are COMPLETELY unrelated to audio.

Quite frankly I think it might just be a good time for someone to launch a new audio sales site to compete with AudiogoN. A site with flat rate ads, a current “feedback” system, and discussion forums that don’t suck like the one at AudiogoN always has. Hey… Youthman… Are you reading this?

One of the things that I find kind of funny is that VideogoN hasn’t changed from the original format. I don’t deal in camera equipment but I just noticed that PhotogoN is no longer up.

Don’t get me wrong here. I’m a “capitalist” just like the next guy. I appreciate and approve of “revenue stream” enhancement whenever it presents itself. But to publish an abortion like the current AudiogoN site is nothing short of shooting oneself in the foot.

I will now climb off of my soapbox.

They are trying to increase profits, which they have been doing for a while. I cannot say if this is right or wrong as I do not know what kind of profits they are making. But, from your post, it sounds like they may have picked up some college kid or inexperienced flunky to redesign their site, which is turning out to be a failure. Remember "New Coke" in the 1980's?

That was a great technical breakdown of the Audiogon fiasco. It was buggy at launch, went down a number of times and remains buggy. I launched a handful of commercial websites over the years and this was more like a high school project that one done by a business.

One other aspect not mentioned is that Audiogon provides next to no support for members who get burned. See Steven Stone in TAS and also a really ugly story on parttimeaudiophile. The few times I've had an issue on Ebay they have stepped in. Personally, I don't care about the third party advertising but when a site takes payment for the listing and a cut of the sale price there needs to be service beyond the sale, IMO.

I totally agree with all of the negative comments about their forums. They are truly dreadful.

I’ve been involved in web site development at one level or another for almost 20 years now. I can tell you in all confidence that the current AudiogoN site rollout is one of the WORST I’ve ever seen.

From an IT point of view you simply DO NOT dump a working site and publish “beta” code. The correct method is to run your current “production” site and your beta site in parallel. From the little bit of time that I’ve spent at the “new” AudiogoN site their code isn’t even “beta” level. Early alpha at BEST.

In the IT world there are a couple of terms for what AudiogoN has put up as their “new” web presence. The clean one is train-wreck. The not so clean one is cluster-#$%^. No matter how you look at it it’s a mess.

Not so long ago part of my morning routine was to peruse the “new today” listings every day. Since the site change I don’t even go there anymore. Which is really kind of sad. I’ve bought AND sold more audio hardware by way of AudiogoN than all of the forums I visit combined.

Now… All of that said… Was the previous version the AudiogoN long overdue for an update? Yes it was. The basic interface was pretty “long in the tooth”.

This is ALL about $$ kids. I’ve watched AudiogoN go from free ads to $2.00 per ad to $4.00 per ad PLUS extra $$ for more than 3 pictures PLUS 2% of the final sales price. The new version has MUCH more third party advertising than the previous version did. And most of the “new” advertisers are COMPLETELY unrelated to audio.

Quite frankly I think it might just be a good time for someone to launch a new audio sales site to compete with AudiogoN. A site with flat rate ads, a current “feedback” system, and discussion forums that don’t suck like the one at AudiogoN always has. Hey… Youthman… Are you reading this?

One of the things that I find kind of funny is that VideogoN hasn’t changed from the original format. I don’t deal in camera equipment but I just noticed that PhotogoN is no longer up.

Don’t get me wrong here. I’m a “capitalist” just like the next guy. I appreciate and approve of “revenue stream” enhancement whenever it presents itself. But to publish an abortion like the current AudiogoN site is nothing short of shooting oneself in the foot.

I will now climb off of my soapbox.

They are trying to increase profits, which they have been doing for a while. I cannot say if this is right or wrong as I do not know what kind of profits they are making. But, from your post, it sounds like they may have picked up some college kid or inexperienced flunky to redesign their site, which is turning out to be a failure. Remember "New Coke" in the 1980's?

It rather reminds me of what happens when systems analysts make anything 'paperless'. No doubt it is a work-in-progress, but it is far too busy and clumsy for now. And parts just don't work. If you want to browse their SACD listings they're not at all navigable. In fact there are about 20 listings for CDs and about 20 listings for "LP". But under 'music' and 'other' there are pages of listings which encompass SACD and LP's. But it has some fun features. You can roster by price and the 'earliest ending' auction. There is an Ale horn speaker system for sale right now for just $105,000.00, a mere whisper of its $230,000.00 suggested retail value. No fighting, it is 1st come, 1st serve.

It's a nightmare! I've noticed a big increase in audio post on ebay lately. I believe a lot of people are looking elsewhere. Am I the only one having problems with the "previous page" button? When I click on a post then try to go back it freezes up on me, then I just go to ebay (which isn't much better)

OK, so far it looks like I will be of the minority opinion here, but I like the changes I see. I was not a heavy user but do have the site on my favorites bar and check the marketplace at least every other day.

I like the sort on each column and you can see all items by category (not brand specific) by leaving the search box blank. The product review site is also much easier to access and sort.

I haven't tried to use it to sell anything (now there is an idea) but it seems pretty intuitive so far to me.

OK, so far it looks like I will be of the minority opinion here, but I like the changes I see. I was not a heavy user but do have the site on my favorites bar and check the marketplace at least every other day.

I like the sort on each column and you can see all items by category (not brand specific) by leaving the search box blank. The product review site is also much easier to access and sort.

I haven't tried to use it to sell anything (now there is an idea) but it seems pretty intuitive so far to me.

I don't think it is that bad either. The old site really had to go. I don't think it changed much in years except for fees lol.... The new one is easier to navigate. Easier to check out the pics.

One of the worst site to navigate period. Please show me one that is worse that is not some mom and pop store. With the amount of sales that the audiogon venue generates they should be ashamed of this site. I agree with the 1st part of your statement but I add " I don't think it is that bad either"... agree...I think it's horrible!

I can get used to the colors and layout if I have to, but info is missing. If you search a brand such as "Yamaha" you get a jumbled mess of items, not an organized list of amps, receivers, turntables, etc. Brousing is no longer enjoyable and that is probably what most of the traffic does.

They coudl have kep the old layout and inserted images and other search features. Bad idea, especially as most Audiogon types are middle aged or older men. Change is not good in this situation.

As of today, it looks like they added the "Category" column back for the search results. It's a step closer to what I was hoping to see but the default sort order is by the Item name which isn't helpful in my opinion. In general, I agree with most that this is one of the worst and poorly managed roll-out of a website that I've witnessed in my professional experience. Like some of you, I use Audiogon on a daily basis just to browse as a way to unwind at the end of the day and if I happen to see something that I like, I'll buy it. Now, that experience is no longer enjoyable because I find myself fighting all the issues with the site instead of focusing on the cool gear. I haven't been back as often and haven't bought anything since they changed the site because it's still a pain to use and I don't have the same level of trust as I use to, not to mention how long it takes to load the pages.

• Like 1

It seems the problems extend beyond the website..... major bummer.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/61/613964.html

I was just informed that Arnie
Chinta, co-founder of Audiogon, has resigned. It's also reported that
someone's son has been largely responsible for the tide of untested,
unwelcome changes, and that most if not all of the people who were on
the lookout for the bad guys have been let go as well. More changes for
the worse are said to be coming, but time will tell. One other thing,
and it's important, is that supposedly there is little or no security on
the site any more, so a word to the wise.The door is open to a site
that can fill their shoes. So far it hasn't happened. And I wouldn't
look to Arnie to start anything new along these lines, at least any time
in the near future. Surely Audiogon has lost nearly all its momentum.

For sure a bummer, I really hate the site so bad now that if they closed it up I would not even care, except for losing my feedback for almost 10 years.It is more than obvious to me something crazy happened because you don't take a good thing and wreck it for no reason.If I go to Videogon it works like always and is lightning fast, I go there.

Well it just gets better and better over at AudiogoN...

Today I'm getting a "Security Warning" from my anti-virus software that AudiogoN is attempting to install what the AV calls a "Very Dangerous" piece of spyware on my PC.

Not on the main AG page but when I do a search.

Take care folks.

The Sorting capabilities are much better. There could be more criteria. Stereo receivers appear to be completely missing. More and more easily accessible pictures front and back would be nice.

IMHO a step in the right direction, but a work in progress.

I think the change is good for me and my wallet. I used to brouse the site often, which sometimes led to a purchase. I hate the new site and haven't looked in weeks, and hardly ever think to any more.

Same here. I never brouse anymore or buy anything, athough i'm not sure that as a business model, this was their idea in redesigning the site. But what do I know, I'm sure that whoever is steering their ship knows exactly what they are doing and that tis has all been very profitable and good for their business.

New slogan, "AudioGON, curing audio junkies from their illness."

Well it just gets better and better over at AudiogoN...

Today I'm getting a "Security Warning" from my anti-virus software that AudiogoN is attempting to install what the AV calls a "Very Dangerous" piece of spyware on my PC.

Not on the main AG page but when I do a search.

Take care folks.

I just went on there and my virus software blocked a threat wen I did a search. Now I really am done. I was reading on Audio Asylum that when the father ran Audiogon he was really all over the software and security. Now it is lax.