I miss Audiogon, how about you?

tigerwoodKhorns

Guys come on already, Yes the site is changed it's been a while already so deal w/ it and embrace it as best you can .Yes I also liked the other site but Polks' site changed and wow you can still communicate w/ people and buy stuff if you want to .Start threads,and whatever else the forum provides.

Here on this forumon the other hand the subjects have not changed in months and the garage sale is a more want to buy then anything else.

Reason I'm hear I always believed Klipsch is still a better product barring their Best Buy Line.

I think people's concerns also lie in the distinct possiblity that the site may not survive or degrade to such a level that it would effectively wipe out all their hard earned history as a reputable member. Starting from scratch is a blow to the twig and berries.

I've watched eBay worsen over the years but I'm not the type to spend large sums of money on that site, so my exposure as a buyer was always minimal. It bothers me much more to see Craigslist on a gentle spiral downward. Audiogon however... well, it's nothin' for many thousands of dollars to exchange over a single item. You wanna' be damn certain the person you're dealing with is reputable.

Guys come on already, Yes the site is changed it's been a while already so deal w/ it and embrace it as best you can .Yes I also liked the other site but Polks' site changed and wow you can still communicate w/ people and buy stuff if you want to .Start threads,and whatever else the forum provides.

Here on this forumon the other hand the subjects have not changed in months and the garage sale is a more want to buy then anything else.

Reason I'm hear I always believed Klipsch is still a better product barring their Best Buy Line.

I don't want to "deal with it", I have 10 years of hard earned feedback. Polk can change their speakers for all I care...here on this forum subjects are generally audio related and was not designed as a "garage sale site". Most of us don't come here looking to buy stuff, we come to share and learn and discuss.

I like the idea people come here and ask for help finding an item, or want to buy, like friends would.

What's not to like about the new Audiogon?

BTW, I find it quite bnoxious that in general many used Klipsch speakers listings are outrageously expensive. For instant, the seller wants $550 for a beat-up pair of Heresy in this ebay listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Heresy-Floor-Speakers-PAIR-/160747485668?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item256d4bf9e4#ht_3755wt_922.

Well, the first page of this thread is a pretty good synopsis. Basically, a lot of the functionality of the old site is missing on the new site. I'm no longer looking at Audiogon as often as I used to, so if they're making daily improvements (hopeful but doubtful), good for them. Hopefully it's not too late to save their reputation.

Regarding eBay, personally I would never purchase anything as large and heavy as a set of speakers from that site. It's been a cesspool for years now and the level of diligence required to try and sniff out a scam is just too much. People selling Beanie Babies and used childrens clothing can have the site. I much prefer Craigslist, where I find plenty of items I'm interested in for sale in my city or neighboring ones all the time. Sure, the prices can still be unrealistic, but I simply tell them... "I know the market well for this item, and you've priced yourself out of it. Here is a fair price - let me know." In a week or a month they'll realize I'm right and get back to me. It's rare someone overpays for the types of specialized items I look at.

AnalogWave: You've summed it up pretty well. As a long time Audiogon'er with extensive feedback, I'm a very unhappy camper with what has become of the current site. I don't visit it daily, let alone weekly. I really can't stand the look and functionality of it. I've had luck selling and buying on eBay but it's not for the faint of heart. Stereolist and other new sites don't have many members with feedback, so buying and selling there will be hit and miss until that is established but importing feedback from other sites was a good move on their part. The number of listings on Stereolist is very small, so there's not much there that interests me yet. Craigslist seems to be the sellers that are completely unaware of fair market value and those who wish to sell crap to avoid negative feedback on eBay, I've been a victim of the latter. I miss Audiogon. [:(]

I was under the impression that Stereophile owned Audiogon prior to the websites redesign.

Stereophile has never owned Audiogon and vice versa.

I don't care for Stereophile's magazine or website design either.

No accounting for taste :-)

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

John, so nice of you to drop in. [:)] I'm a long time subscriber to the mag.

Mike

2 things you can ALWAYS say about change.

1. Its inevitable.

2. Its frequently not for the better.

I use Audiogon some. To both buy and sell. Im shopping right now for a few things. And in that process I'm communicating with guys selling on Audiogon. And ya know what. They ALL hate the new site. Every one of them felt it necessary to voice their negative impressions. I didnt solicit it. So there is a fair amount of anger at the new format. If that percolates for to long, the site can only suffer.

The stats backup the general consensus (you have to have cookies enabled to see the page). The precipitous drop visible on the three month graph I can understand, the rise almost a month later not so much. Account functionality maybe. The trend since, however, is downward. Be interesting to see how the month of March ends.

The "addict" stigma cuts a little deep.

• 1 month later...

Some just don't like change, I have heard a lot more scams are being posted therefore I've shyed away myself[:#] John, lurkin' on the old Klipscheroo eh! Nice of you to set the record straight on any type of partnering with Stephile and A-goN, see we went to 700 recommended items vs the old 500? I am missing more of Viktors stuff in there, still make class A gear but not getting much props from you guys[:(] I'm still scribing, you may redeem yourselves before it runs out[:o]

Wow. I thought is was just me. Thanks for the post! I had not visited the site for a few months and was shocked at the new site. Passwords work SOMETIMES then nothing. The new site is lousy and the hit meter shows. Steady decline.......Sorry to see it go. It was a great place to go to find things.