Promedia 2.1 Star Wars Limited Collectors Edition

Youthman

• Moderators

My trusty Boston Acoustics MediaTheater 2.1 system is sounding pretty rough with a blown subwoofer speaker. You can hear the speaker rattle pretty bad so I figured the foam around the speaker has deteriorated over the years.

Today, a pair of Promedia 2.1 Star Wars Edition speakers poped up on Craigslist for $20. That's my kind of deal.

They appear to be in very good cosmetic condition. Looks like he took really great care of them. The last Promedia set I bought at a yard sale for $15 lasted less than 2 weeks. Got my fingers crossed. LOL I figure at that price, it's worth the risk.

I briefly plugged them in to ensure they work and they sound great. This is the first I have seen of the Star Wars Edition. It apparently has a single 8" driver vs my previous Promedia 2.1 that had dual 8" drivers. Regardless, the bass will be plenty for my home office.

Klipsch-StarWars1.jpg

Klipsch-StarWars2.jpg

Klipsch-StarWars3.jpg

• Moderators

Just as suspected, I removed the Boston Acoustics woofer. I'm actually really suprised at how large the magnet was on the 6.5" woofer.

I'll post my thoughts on the Promedia 2.1 later this evening when I get home and can give them a listen.

Boston-Acoustics1.jpg

Boston-Acoustics2.jpg

Good for you! Then again, that sucks!!

I've been looking for a bargain pair for monthsssssssssssssssssss and rather than pay $75/100 on ebay plus shipping, I just last weekend, went to best buy and bought a new pair. (figured I'd rather buy new with warranty than pay those rates)

While I was there, I simply walked into the store, asked where they were. I then walked up and grabbed one and turned to walk out. There was a young couple standing there (as I walked up, grabbed and turned) and they were staring at a bose pair.

should I?

Should I not?

I sometimes can't help myself. I walked over and apologized for butting in but told them that since they were looking at pc speakers, I thought I'd let them know that I'm now holding in my hand the third pair of PM's that I'm buying new. I have a pair at my house, gave a pair to my sister in law and am now taking a third pair for my little apartment.

Made it clear that I didn't work for BB nor Klipsch but instead, was a big fan and felt they were the best sound and value out there. They became a bit intrigued and looked at them noticing they were also cheaper. (snicker)

I made a point to say that they were probably less expensive as well (not having actually seen the price of the bose) and continued to say that they sound better and cost less....hmm.....

Turned & left to pay for my purchase. I never did see what if anything they actually did.

• Moderators

Odyssey, I didn't know anything about the Star Wars Edition. Pretty cool I have a limited edition Klipsch product.

should I?

Should I not?

It was your duty to. LOL Way too funny Coytee.

I remember many years ago when I first heard the Boston Acoustic Media Theater speakers. It was the time when Gateway Stores were beginning to emerge. I sooo wanted a Gateway computer and those amazing sounding Boston speakers. Crystal clear highs, smoothe midrange and nice full bass. I never bought the $1200 Gateway computer with a 4gig Hard Drive and 200Mhz processor but I did end up finding a pair of Boston Acoustic Speakers (can't even remember where or when though). They have performed flawlessly for me for all these years. All it would take is for me to replace the woofer and she would be up and running again.

Boston1.jpg

If I were to try and replace the woofer, I'm guessing this one from Parts Express would do. Looks very similar in size (magnet wise) as my BA woofer but I believe it is a dual voice coil speaker. Probably don't need that.

290-352_s.jpg

• Moderators

Man, these sound really great for computer speakers. My only worry is the amp dying like my last set did. I've had the speakers on for less than 10 minutes at very low volume and the amp is really hot to the touch. Does anyone else's amp get that hot?

Man, these sound really great for computer speakers. My only worry is the amp dying like my last set did. I've had the speakers on for less than 10 minutes at very low volume and the amp is really hot to the touch. Does anyone else's amp get that hot?

Yeah, they do sound good.

I've got a new pair and I think these are a bit different than the older pair that I have in Tennessee. With that qualifier, I keep these on 24-7 and just felt the amp section.... just a hint of warmness. Not hot at all, then again, I'm not currently listening to anything in the event that matters.

The set in Tennessee was also left on 24-7. I simply never reached down to turn it on/off....ever. I have no idea if it ever got warm as the bass bin was under a shelf that didn't give me easy access to it without getting contorted.

Guess I didn't help much but didn't want you to think nobody read your question.

• Moderators

We went out to eat, were gone for a few hours, came home. I had left the Promedia sub turned on but did not have any music coming through it. Amp was very hot. So hot, I could only put my hand on the amp plate for about 5 seconds. Something tells me that's not normal. :( I also notice there is some sort of short where the control cable plugs in. If I wiggle it, it will either cut out the sub, or mute one of the satellite speakers. Guess that's not normal too. I believe this will be my last promedia purchase. They sound great but frankly, they have some serious amp design flaws. It's sad because I've had the Boston Acoustics Media Theater speakers for almost 10 years and they are still working wonderfully other than the subwoofer needing to be refoamed or replaced. The amp, satellite, and sub have performed flawlessly for 10 years. Klipsch should take notes from them. Guess it will only be a matter of time until my second pair of Promedia 2.1's die....maybe sooner than later. Regardless, it was worth the $20 investment but I would never drop $150 on these even if they were new with warranty.

• Moderators

It is the DIN cable that has the short. I'm not sure if it is the cable or the connection for the DIN on the plate. Looks like the DIN connector does not detach from the main satellite but is connected somehow internally.

it "appears" to be part of the speaker, but it is not. if you remove the base/stand from the speaker by removing the phillips screw then the controller will slide off the speaker as well in the same direction, sometimes they can can stuck on pretty good and it may take some taps to get them moving (I like using the rubber handle of a pair of pliers for this). and the cable almost never fails, usually it is the DIN. they can fail internally sometimes and not even show any signs of being damaged.

Klipsch 2.1 DIN
replacement options

1st option: which is the cheapest does require some good soldering skills, if
you have (or know someone that does) good soldering skills then I can sell you
the plug you need and give you instructions on how to do it and that would only
cost you $5.50 total.

2nd option: the easiest and fastest solution which is my DIY Repair cable, with
this cable all you do is cut the plug off your current din cable and then you
strip each of the wires inside the cable and then you twist them together with
my cable green to green red to red yellow to yellow etc. and tape them all off
as you go, and bam, done! that option costs $12.50 total,

3rd option: send me your control pod and i will professionally replace the din
plug for you and give a lifetime guarantee on the new plug and that option will
cost you $17.50 total, each of these options are discounted from my usual Ebay
price for savings to you and me. Please let me know which way you would like to
go and i can have a PayPal invoice sent to you or you can mail me a check or
money order to make payment, please note that I do hold off on shipping items
for checks to clear.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest srobak

Today, a pair of Promedia 2.1 Star Wars Edition speakers poped up on Craigslist for $20. That's my kind of deal.

It apparently has a single 8" driver vs my previous Promedia 2.1 that had dual 8" drivers. Regardless, the bass will be plenty for my home office.

Great find at that price. I bought a set new from Klipsch when they came out back in like 2008?  I am still using them as my primary PC speakers.  Had to replace the sub driver though. 

That being said - all the ProMedia 2.1's have only ever had a single 6.5" on the right side.  The ProMedia v.2-400 had dual 6.5's on opposing sides and in a slightly larger cabinet.  This system also used 2 pairs of the satellites (totalling 4) and was an early attempt at pseudo-surround for PCs way back in the day that had front & rear line-outs on their sound cards - long before center channels came around.  If you didn't run 2 sets of inputs to the sub - you were only getting partial sound.  I use one of these systems in my garage. It too has needed replacement drivers.  If Klipsch would offer a 6.5 with a rubber surround that didn't dry out so fast & easy and could be used as replacement drivers for these - this would not be nearly as much of a problem. 

• 7 years later...

Does Klipsch still sell replacement woofers for the Pro Media 2.1 STAR WARS Limited Collector's Edition computer speaker sets?

I think my subwoofer just crapped out this evening.  I was playing some stuff through it relatively loudly, but not overly loud.  Guess it just gave out.

I love-LOVE this set up and would like to keep it alive if possible.

If anyone has a connection to someone at Klipsch that might be able to guide me to a replacement woofer driver, I'd be eternally grateful.