FedEx Strikes Again (Yamaha Mx-830)

bwilbur

I just received an MX-830 amp from a private sale. FedEx packaged it and used no styrofoam and no bubble wrap - just paper and a box. The binding posts were all smashed in and the plastic frames which hold them are beyond repair. FedEx is picking it up for claims investigation tomorrow.

So close .....ugh!

This seems to the norm, UPS, Fed-EX, USPS are in the

delivery business. If you bring them something unpacked, then that is probably

the same as saying "break this steel ball bearing if you can" and

they did. If you don't ask the person that you purchased it from to pack it

with some care there will be none. The heavy packages get loaded onto the top

shelves in there delivery trucks for some reason. I had UPS park across the

street and watched the driver (230 lbs. of him) pull my package off the top

shelf and drop it to the floor of the truck. It was 40 lbs of crankshaft and connecting

rods. The DMF then proceeds to walk it across the street and exclaimed to me

"that’s Fxxxen heavy", NFS dude. You need to help yourself if you

really don't want to work the claims process. I ended up selling those parts

and used USPS to ship it to the buyer, I also insured it for $3000, and it was

about $60 from Boston to Atlanta.

Knowing it had been dropped 4 feet I packed it myself with as much plastic

packing as I could stuff in the box, I used those plastic bags that you get at

the supermarket (a couple hundred plus other corrugated cardboard scrap),

probably added another 4 or 5 pounds. I shipped it to a friend without him

paying and said get it inspected by your engine guy and when you are both

satisfied with it send me a check. He did that about a month after it was received.

We were both happy with the outcome.

I just received an MX-830 amp from a private sale. FedEx packaged it and used no styrofoam and no bubble wrap - just paper and a box. The binding posts were all smashed in and the plastic frames which hold them are beyond repair. FedEx is picking it up for claims investigation tomorrow.

So close .....ugh!

If you packed it like this they would not honor the claim due to improper packing !

I never understood why anyone would let someone else pack an item they sold.I have sold many items over the years, shipped after I packed them very carefully, never an issue.

No doubt that if you want something done right, you often have to do it yourself. But there is an irony to the fact that an international packing and shipping company can't package something correctly.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Glad the took care of it.

FedEx must have someplace where they sell off everything they break, could probably get some nice stuff cheap that can be repaired IN SOME CASES ?

There was a deep thread all about shipping audio gear not long ago. A forum member who worked for one of the major shippers stated that the only way you're likely to get payed on a damage claim is if the CARRIER packaged the item. It's likely to cost a good buck but this way it's done to their exact standards (and employees) and they can't point the finger at you (rightly or wrongly) and say you did a faulty job. Basically, even if you packaged the item to survive a war your odds are slim of getting reimbursed because of all the legal shhhhtuff in their fine print. Catch 22.

Talking to the drivers for all the carriers that service my office, they tell me packages with high-dollar insurance coverage are treated about as well as you can expect. If the item is worth $500, insure it for $2k.

Oh, and that Leatherman the TSA took off you or the iPod you left on the plane?... it's for sale here.

I have found now on 5 out of 5 deliveries by FEDEX and all have come from the USA to Sydney that everything is ahead of time in mint condition when it arrived and all the staff were text book perfect.

Even when I was at yoga when a delivery arrived I rang the Sydney office and the very well mannered staff organised for the driver to deliver the ashly ne8800 on his way back to the depot at the end of his run no problems. The driver was all smiles a shining example of excellent customer service.

I did notice via the tracking that one subwoofer spent the weekend in Honolulu. Cheeky, probably on a beach with a drink and a couple of tweeters for some extra action.

FedEx must have someplace where they sell off everything they break, could probably get some nice stuff cheap that can be repaired IN SOME CASES ?

I forgot to mention that FedEx returned the amp to me, so if I can fabricate a new plate with 12 new terminals, I can likely salvage the amp.

post-49069-13819689990204_thumb.jpg