Just put KT120's in my Latino ST 120 Amp to replace my KT88's

JHoman

Finally made the leap to replace my old Ruby KT88s in my Latino / Dynaco ST120. Wow, these tubes are massive! Pulled the 88s out and cleaned up the deck. Turned down the bias and put the 120s in. Turned on the amp and slowly brought up the bias to .55 VDC. Everything stabilized and got started with some Keb Mo. All I can say is wow, sound is so sweet, seems like it brought out the mids and tightened up the lows. Headroom increased also. As for my power tranny, I did not notice any increase in its temp.

I have about 6 hours on these tubes and all I can say is I really like them! I also installed tube dampers on my three Ampex Bugle Boy 12AT7s in the pre-amp section of my amp.

Next project is to pull out my Juicy Music Blueberry Extreme and replace the 12AX7 with a Genalex Golden Lion & the 12AT7s with Mullards and install tube dampers on them. I also got a new 6H30 super tube to install.

Try the KT120s, there a lot of tube for the money!

Jeff

if anyone tries this, check to make sure your amp can rum kt-120's......the bias is a lot higher on these and some amps would support it. KT90's are direct replacements for kt88's and 6550's.

if anyone tries this, check to make sure your amp can rum kt-120's......the bias is a lot higher on these and some amps would support it. KT90's are direct replacements for kt88's and 6550's.

I agree, I talked to Bob Latino and he told me the power tranny is more than ample to drive the KT120's, as far as setting the bias, I set it at .55 VDC on each tube, same as my KT88's, it's kinda like having a huge engine in a truck, it doesn't have to work as hard to pull the load.

So far, I'm loving the sound!

jeff