Forced into the digital age...What's the best way to go?

fini

My wife and kids were kind enough to buy me a new TV (LG 42LV4400) this last Christmas (it doesn't require jiggling to get a clear signal!), and I need to upgrade my set-up to digital. I'm a Comcast customer (cable and internet) and have generally been pleased with their service. Since the old tv was over 12 years old, our whole system was analog. Associated (current) equipment is a Comcast convertor box, Panasonic dvd player, Denon AVR-3300 receiver, TIVO box. I'm planning on upgrading the dvd player (like to find a good deal on an Oppo 93, maybe an 83), but I see no need to change the receiver, at least not right away. Of course, we'll need a new digital dvr.

So, my main question is, would it be better to get a dvr from Comcast, TIVO, or somewhere else? We watch almost nothing unless it's been TIVOed, so a dvr is critical. I know that the LG is not wi-fi, but it would be nice if either the dvr or cable box (?) would allow for this feature. We also do Netflix, if that makes a difference.

All suggestions and advice entertained. I'd like to keep it all relatively simple, without sacrificing essential features (whatever they are!).

One other thing, the LG's speakers are worse than bad. Super tinny. I'd like to be able to improve the sound without turning on the big system every time I want to watch the news. I'm considering hooking up an Energy sub to the tv's audio out to see if that makes it bearable.

I find myself in the same situation. Time Warner only provides 720p so I use their dvr. Works fine. I went with a Sony BR player for DVDs and an Apple TV for Netflix. The Apple TV also allows wireless connection to the computer for photos and music (Pandora for example). Only $99 and you get a remote. If you have 5.1 inputs on your receiver, get the Sony with 5.1 out so you can get HD audio

Guest Anonymous

If your planning on buying a new DVD player, i've been using a PS3 for about 5 years for blu ray movies, it also does 3D. does 1080P through HDMI, optical out to receiver. plays and stores digital music. Can plug in USB to the PS3 and play music directly from the USB stick. also does netflix via wifi over the internet.

Also note, i have never used it for gaming...everything else but im not a gamer. Just my $.02. Gotta love upgrades...[Y][:D]

fini,

I have so much buzz through my cable box that I don't run the tv audio through my tubes/merlin/2a3/LaScalas. I use an H/K430 and Heresy IIs for the TV audio. All SS, quick turn on, easy for the wife, etc. Works for us.

Bruce

I think if you and the family are familiar with TIVO then stick with it. The cable box we use only allows 2 shows to be recorded at once. If you are doing that, you can't watch another live tv channel. Annoying at times. DVRs are limited by the amount of separate tuners inside them.