Blu-Ray HDMI connections

davis419b

I am looking for a liitle help from you H/T guys ! [*-)] I have a Deneon 5803 non hdmi receiver. I recently bought a Denon DVD-3800 BDCI and have it connected to my avr by way of r/b/g 3 wire cord and a optical cable for sound. My nephew tells me I need to use an hdmi cable from the dvd to the tv for the best bluray picture, does that make sense ?

At least both of you think alike ! After reading about 3 of the topics the mumbo jumbo got boring so I went straight to the bottom which says try both and go with which ever one looks better. So my take on hdmi is stricly a different way to connect components together, is this correct ? My old Denen DVD 5900 had a DVI connection that went straight the TV but after doing some research the guy that hooked my TV up had it connected simular terminal as the DVD but on the TV it is marked for sevice tech only so I dont know if it was doing anything.

yes and no.. in your case it's strictly a video transport, so go with what looks better. in mine, the hdmi transmits both HD audio and the video - the only other way to get that audio bitstreamed to my denon is by using 7.1 analog cables and then I'm still forced to use something for the video, so it's an issue of 9 cables vs. 1

HDMI also carries the audio. If one has a receiver/prepro with HDMI in, that is the easiest connection. It goes from BR to receiver to tv. If not, then it's HDMI or component to tv and digital or analog to the receiver or prepro. HDMI also carries HD audio. More confused now? [:^)]Hope this helps.

Frank

HDMI also carries the audio. If one has a receiver/prepro with HDMI in, that is the easiest connection. It goes from BR to receiver to tv. If not, then it's HDMI or component to tv and digital or analog to the receiver or prepro. HDMI also carries HD audio whereas analog does not unless you have a BR player with 5.1 out to the receiver. More confused now? Huh?Hope this helps.

Frank

frank ..quit copying me. :P

HDMI also carries the audio. If one has a receiver/prepro with HDMI in, that is the easiest connection. It goes from BR to receiver to tv. If not, then it's HDMI or component to tv and digital or analog to the receiver or prepro. HDMI also carries HD audio whereas analog does not unless you have a BR player with 5.1 out to the receiver. More confused now? Huh?Hope this helps.

Frank

frank ..quit copying me. :P

Sooner or later you guys are going to have a different opinion then what do I do ?

Don, the RGB (component cables) are limited to 1080i; in order to get 1080p (Bluray capability max) you need HDMI.

How long do you need, I have some from 6" to 35' since I owe ya.

Hey Mike,

I believe my TV is 720p. It is a Hitachi 55HDS52 and from what I can find it is supposed to do all formats but I dont have a clue. I need a 10' hdmi cable and while looking at monoprice they said if it was to used in wall it would need the jacket on the cable. ( again no clue )

Don, your TV does Formats
480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p however, at 55 inches the difference between 1080 i and p probably won't be noticed. The bigger the screen the bigger the difference. I just checked my cables and I go from 6' to 20 and then 35. In wall rated is for code. I hope the code police are not watching but I never paid much attention to that

I can send you a cable that is much too long. On the other hand Monoprice is where I got mine. Them and Blue Jeans Cables are may only two sources.

Don,

You can go directly to the tv with the HDMI cable for the video portion. The audio you will get will likely be the basic sound formats, but not the new HD audio formats. Hopefully, you won't have any Lipsync problems with that workaround.

Ideally, you need to get yourself an HDMI capable receiver capable of decoding the new HD audio formats. If you can swing it, I also would look for a true 1080p capable tv.

The new HD audio formats are worth the expense IMHO. I sold my high end Parasound HALO pre/pro for that very reason....no HDMI.

HDMI can be a pain in the rear, but it is worth the 1080p and HD audio stream. I guess it just comes down to what is important to you.

I forgot to add. Depending on the BD player capability, it may be able to decode the HD audio stream and send it to your pre/pro via analog. AFAIK, anything other than HDMI will preclude the 1080p signal as well as the HD audio formats. It is the current way that copyright holders are protecting their product.

Guest Anonymous

I have a similar setup to what you described in your original post. however, My blu ray is a PS3. The HDMI cable can carry 1080P video, and audio to your TV. However in my case, like yours, my reciever does not do have HDMI connetions on it. In the menu's of the PS3, i can send the audio out the HDMI, Optical, or analog outputs. I set it to optical and now have two cables from the PS3. HDMi for video to TV, and optical to receiver for audio.

I have a similar setup to what you described in your original post. however, My blu ray is a PS3. The HDMI cable can carry 1080P video, and audio to your TV. However in my case, like yours, my reciever does not do have HDMI connetions on it. In the menu's of the PS3, i can send the audio out the HDMI, Optical, or analog outputs. I set it to optical and now have two cables from the PS3. HDMi for video to TV, and optical to receiver for audio.

What happens to the audio being sent to the tv via the hdmi cable. The optical from the blu ray to my receiver is incredible just as it was before the blu ray player.

I just finished looking through the manual for your BD player.

If you connect the HDMI to your tv directly, you will get the best possible picture. Although, since your tv has a native 720 chip, you will not 'see' anything better than 720 eventhough your BD player can send 1080p signals.

You will have to set the BD player to send audio via either a digital coax, or via the analog 7.1 channel individual outputs. The only limitations in either setup is that although your BD player can decode the HD audio formats, it will not send them to the analog channels or the digital coax. You will only get the basic Dolby Digital and DTS. They will do just fine for the time being, but if you can ever go to a true HDMI connection you will likely appreciate the added audio resolution of the HD audio format.

In the meantime, enjoy your setup.