Blu-Ray HDMI connections

davis419b

I just finished looking through the manual for your BD player.

If you connect the HDMI to your tv directly, you will get the best possible picture. Although, since your tv has a native 720 chip, you will not 'see' anything better than 720 eventhough your BD player can send 1080p signals.

You will have to set the BD player to send audio via either a digital coax, or via the analog 7.1 channel individual outputs. The only limitations in either setup is that although your BD player can decode the HD audio formats, it will not send them to the analog channels or the digital coax. You will only get the basic Dolby Digital and DTS. They will do just fine for the time being, but if you can ever go to a true HDMI connection you will likely appreciate the added audio resolution of the HD audio format.

In the meantime, enjoy your setup.

Thanks for your help Rudy ! Maybe someday I will unload some of the extra gear in my 3rd bedroom and step up to hdmi and a 1080p tv. As far as the sound I mostly listen to it in 5.1

get your cables together and we can play around with all this stuff next weekend. like i said earlier, wife is having a baby shower, so you'll likely have to kick me out since i'll have nothing but free time. ;)

Micheal I will have the hdmi cable and with your help I may learn something. Pony Express is coming in on Wednesday and I will have the goodies for you to take to Carl. Thanks for your help in advance !

Guest Anonymous

I have a similar setup to what you described in your original post. however, My blu ray is a PS3. The HDMI cable can carry 1080P video, and audio to your TV. However in my case, like yours, my reciever does not do have HDMI connetions on it. In the menu's of the PS3, i can send the audio out the HDMI, Optical, or analog outputs. I set it to optical and now have two cables from the PS3. HDMi for video to TV, and optical to receiver for audio.

What happens to the audio being sent to the tv via the hdmi cable. The optical from the blu ray to my receiver is incredible just as it was before the blu ray player.

Nothing happens to it, Once you set the audio to optical no audio is passed through the HDMI connection.

get your cables together and we can play around with all this stuff next weekend. like i said earlier, wife is having a baby shower, so you'll likely have to kick me out since i'll have nothing but free time. ;)

Micheal I will have the hdmi cable and with your help I may learn something. Pony Express is coming in on Wednesday and I will have the goodies for you to take to Carl. Thanks for your help in advance !

sounds like a plan. PM me your address when you get a chance so I can GPS my way to your house. you'll have to come out to my place in the future and check out what I'm bringing back from Carl's :)

sounds like a plan. PM me your address when you get a chance so I can GPS my way to your house. you'll have to come out to my place in the future and check out what I'm bringing back from Carl's :)

I look forward to you coming to my house. I also look forward to going to your house to listen to your gear. In the 4 years that I have been a forum member I have only been to 1 members house for a listen and that was Rudy81. He had a fantastic set up although I have not heard his new set up !

Maybe you will give me just a little hint in a pm on what you are bringing back from Carl's.

I never was clear on one thing.The DVD player has 7.1 analog out, decodes dts master etc.. but will not send the signal through the analog cables? That would be pretty wackedcand I've never seen that.I had a Samsung a few years old for$125 that sent HD audio through analog to you 7.1 input.

I never was clear on one thing.The DVD player has 7.1 analog out, decodes dts master etc.. but will not send the signal through the analog cables? That would be pretty wackedcand I've never seen that.I had a Samsung a few years old for$125 that sent HD audio through analog to you 7.1 input.

I have not tried the 7.1 analog output. My receiver was set to optical on my other dvd player so I just went the same way with this one.

Correct. Here is the deal. When the industry demanded a secure method of decoding the HD audio streams, they came up with HDCP....the copywright protection system that is ONLY available via HDMI. So, even when your player can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio, it is not 'allowed' to send that portion via any other method except for HDMI. If you are using digital coax, optical or analog, the system will decode the signal if the BD player is doing the decoding, but only send Dolby Digital + and DTS, the older formats.

In order to get the HD audio streams, you must be on HDMI exclusively.

Don,

Right now, your best picture setup should be to have the DB player send a 720P signal to the tv....that is assuming your tv has a native 720 chip. You can look that up in the tv's manual. The issue of how the picture will 'look' in 720p vs. 1080p, depends on how far you sit from the set when watching. If you sit outside your eyes' ability to discern the resolution difference, then they will look the same. If you sit inside that range, you will note the resolution difference and experience a much more detailed and better picture. You can find various screen resolution calculators online which will tell you what those distances are based on the size of your set.

Here is one discussion on the subject: http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

Rudy,

I read the article but didnt look at the charts. I went straight to the calculate area and I am in luck .It said i would need to be 11' or closer and I am 11' so I guess I am good to go. I think after Micheal works his magic things will be much better. He has the ability to adjust the color and I am sure much more. The tv has never been adjusted for anything since I have owned it !