What's Your Tube Amp/Preamp Plugged Into?

SWL

I've found that I get a fuller sound when my amp is plugged directly into the wall vs. a more neutral/cleaner sound when it's plugged into the surge protector. I prefer the sound I get when it's plugged directly into the wall. The HH Scott 222c is a 50 year old unit (rebuilt by NOSVALVES).

What are you guys doing? I have to say that in my room it's noticable difference......so just wondering if anyone else has compared and did you hear any difference?

Thanks,

-Scott

That's the kind of mixed-results conundrum I got in trying various power cords on my OTL's a few years ago: pluses and minuses that are hard to decide between. On the subject of power cords, another forum member prefers an ESP power cord on his preamp in spite of a somewhat reduced bass, because of its greater clarity and liveliness. I have an ESP cord on my preamp for exactly the same reason -- so we resolved our resepctive conundrums in the same way.

I don't use a surge protector, and suspect I wouldn't like one on my OTLs. However, I do use a PS Audio power regenerator (which produces pure sine wave power) for some low-power things like the TT and CD transport, but it only produces less than 300 watts total so it's a non-starter for power-hungry OTL's. I've been trying it on my tube preamp, but don't think it's doing much good.

If you prefer the sound of plugging it into the wall, then that's where I'd leave it, but that's just MHO. I think you should ping Craig/NOSValves for his opinion.