What do you guys think about the 3D TVs?

D-Rex

If I was in the market for a tv right now that would actually be the tv I would get, very nice picture. As far as the 3d thing goes, I think it's more or less just an add-on, not a main feature for me. Glass less 3d tv will hit the market soon enough and make these 3d tvs seem like a moot point, but for their 2d picture that what matters to me most, and the current,gen tvs look spectacular!

• Moderators

I haven't been a fan of 3D since it came out. No desire at all to wear googles while watching movies. The demos I've watched just seem too artificial and somewhat hokey. I'll stick with a 2D.

Colin, I didn't realize we were neighbors. [:D]

I shopped around for a plasma for about 6 months, finally made a choice and it was a 64 samsung 8000 series...imo the best plasma that was out at the time. If you like samsungs bright colors, which i do. i wouldnt trade this tv for anything right now. And as for the 3d, it does the upconversion where it will make anything 3d but i never use it or the 3d at all. i thought i would when i bought it but have only done so prolly about twice. But it is nice to have the option....especially when they finnaly release avatar for purchase on 3d.

PN64D8000FF check it out its awesome

Outstanding responses guys! My daughter's cheap Best Buy 19" LED TV went out so I was contemplating replacing my current living room set, and moving some of the other plasmas (two 50" and one 42") around to get a TV in everyone's room. I was looking at upgrading the living room TV to a 60" with the 3D being a bonus feature. That is some good info on the 3D, letting me know that the focus should remain on the quality of the 2D.

With that said, I love the Samsungs, I just wasn't sure about the 3D glasses. I will re-evaulate the situation with this new info and get back to everyone! Thanks again guys! D

FWIW, I have a 55" Sony 240hz LED 3D TV brand new for $1400 (came with 2 pairs of glasses as well) and love it. I had a 42" Plasma, but wanted something lighter and newer in the technological realm. I occasionally use the 3D, but mainly just enjoy a crystal clear picture. Blu Ray looks incredible!

Guest Teresa Wright

I only have one because the price was right on the best rated TV of 2010. The 2D beautiful, and so is the 3D. I have only watched 3D a handful of times, but it is fun to watch sports on occasion. Long story short-If the price is right, go for it!! [:D]

P S Now is the time to buy the last years models!!

Ok, I pulled the trigger, I simply couldn't turn down the deal om the Samsung 64-D8000:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+64%22+Class+/+Plasma+/+1080p+/+600Hz+/+3D+/+HDTV/2262065.p?id=1218316934118&skuId=2262065

Of, course, this isn't the deal I got. My deal was a grand total of $2,900, including tax, an dincluded the following:

Samsung 64-8000 Television
Samsung 3D Blu Ray player
2 Pair of 3D Glasses
36 months no interest
$300 in Best Buy Red Zone Reward certificates

We also saved from having to spend $500 for my daughter's room by moving the living room TV to Master Bedroom and the Master Bedroom TV to the daughter's room. I include this because we were prepared to spend $500 for a 720p Samsung 43" PLasma for her room.

I am sure in two years I will be wondering why I spent $2900 on this TV when technology is changing so frequently, but, after I saw the amazing 3D after seeing the amazing 2D picture, I simply couldn't imagine wanting much more.

I have never had a TV as large as a 64" Plasma. It may still have the "looking through a window" affect but it didn't bother me at the store and the picture looked so good that I was amazed. If I can replicate that affect here at home then I will be pleased. But, it isn't something I would want to watch 100% of the time.

The TV has just arrived, I will begin putting it up this evening!

I am staying with a friend while out of town right now. He has an active 3d samsung led.

I had it on for about 10 minutes yesterday trying the 2d-3d mode, and I got motion sickness. I can cope with 3d in the theatre, but I think active shutters cause me disorientation.

I tried a passive setup before, but I didn't like that either, I could see horizontal interlacing going on.

With a 64" tv, if you sit close enough you could have it pretty wide in your field of vision, duplicating the movie experience.