Time to replace OEM Klipschorn crossovers

o0O Bill O0o

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many directions to go with crossovers. One decision to make is replace or rebuild. Crites Speakers can rebuild old and crusty XOs, bringing them back to factory specs. Here is some info and pricing, look under the phrase in caps 'Rebuild Your Crossovers'. I think they also sell rebuild kits that are cheaper, with you then at the helm doing the work. I'm not that savvy with electronics, so I sent my Forte II crossovers to them. They also sell new XO's, here. There are a few different kinds that were/are used in the Klipschorn, and everyone has their preference. Crites makes this one that seems popular on this Forum (I've read about it often). OK, this has been a HUGE ad for Crites. [:P]

There are other makers of XOs too. Others here will hopefully give more specific info.

Which crossovers are in your Khorns?

You will be amazed at the difference a refreshed network will have. And then again if you decide to go with one of the more exotic alternatives. ALK and Crites have been mentioned so Ill add Dean Westcott to the list.

On my belles I have ended up with custom networks by Dean using vcap capacitors and have to say it is a remarkable improvement versus stock - at least to my ears!

Josh

• 3 months later...

A few things to consider when you decide to recap your Klipschorns, based on my experience only....

I bought the Crites do it yourself recap kit which was the most affordable high quality alternative (in my opinion). I had a friend perform the actual install as I am not confident in my ability to do this properly and didnt want to learn on Klipschorns...maybe next time on something a little less important!

At first I HATED the way they sounded! they were MUCH brighter and my ears were used to the way they sounded before...I thought I had ruined my speakers! I read about "break in period" and some people say they need to burn in, but an e mail to Bob Crites informed me of no such thing. He stated that the values need to stay constant and any degradation from use would be a bad thing. My ears were what needed the "break in time" and after a while I grew accustomed to the new sound and now I love the speakers again!

Now, here is the thing about the recap....

To do the upgrade with the kit, you cut out the old parts and wire in the new. If I could have done it over I think I would have bought new crossovers and swapped the whole thing out, that way if I wanted to "go back" I could just swap the whole thing over again. (trying to reinstall the old caps after they had been cut out of the crossovers was not a viable option) but of course that costs more. Also the intact crossover retains a value if you eventualy decided to "dispose" of it.

I have read nothing but great reviews about ALK crossovers and I am sure they are fabulous, but you pay for that quality, it is much more than the basic "recap".

Just my 2 cents....

Ed

Ed,

My plan is to purchase ALK XOs and replace the OEM XO altogether.

My "Other" plans"

-I also plan I finding a good price on an MC275 to match.

-The Klipschorns sound so much better than my LaScalas that I cannot tolerate the Lascala as a center channel , Left surround & right Surround. We are always watching TV/Movies in Stereo with the Klipschorns and JL Audio Subwoofers. I'm going to give the inwall option for HomeTheater & the Klipschorn & MC275 for the Vinyl/2 Channel experience.This way we save on space yet acheive high fidelity. (Our two bigest factors -space, fidelity) I could go on and on about how well Klipschorns use the space in your listening room. For a ~52" X 31 "HULK" of a speaker it hides very well in the corner- better than any floor stander.

Before I met Ed,

Photo1.jpg

After I met Ed,

11+-+1

-Bill

• 8 months later...

There are too many *** crossovers. We need a consensus on the best three or four and dump everything else.

Okay,

How about EV DC-One, Ashly Protea 3.24CL, and Yamaha SP2060?

[:D]

P.S. A thread to setup your Khorns using the Yamaha SP2060: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/156476/1653663.aspx

Chris

He stated that the values need to stay constant and any degradation from use would be a bad thing. My ears were what needed the "break in time" and after a while I grew accustomed to the new sound and now I love the speakers again!

Ed

I think an extra two words were put in...... "in time" I think your ears needed time to break...

There are too many *** crossovers. We need a consensus on the best three or four and dump everything else.

Yes, I am in the OEM - if it an broke don't fix it - camp. Meaning the design goals were all developed around the stock or OEM crossover. Plus the aftermarket crossovers, that alter the design goals, are much more expensive.

The other hard part is to get a bunch of us together, with an assortment of crossovers, and couple sets of Klipschorns, from different generations, and do an informal sound off. I'd be willing to host.

Bill

Yes, I am in the OEM - if it an broke don't fix it - camp. Meaning the design goals were all developed around the stock or OEM crossover. Plus the aftermarket crossovers, that alter the design goals, are much more expensive.

The other hard part is to get a bunch of us together, with an assortment of crossovers, and couple sets of Klipschorns, from different generations, and do an informal sound off. I'd be willing to host.

Bill

I was being facetious.

You might be surpised to know that on many occasions, some of us have indeed got together and tried/compared different crossovers. For the most part, there is very little difference between the drive components used over the last 40 years or so. A few dozen of us have probably tried every rendition under the sun, and I've built and tried several using a wide assortment of parts. What I've learned is how some work in some situations better than others, and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Throw in personal taste and all bets are off. Sometimes a person will call or email me and know exactly what they want me to build for them. Many more aren't sure and it takes some talking before they come to a decision. Don't underestimate the level of engineering and competence in the aftermarket designs. Some of these designs have actually been tested by Klipsch out of curiosity, and I sure don't see their engineering staff running around here bad mouthing the designs.

"At first I HATED the way they sounded! they were MUCH brighter and my ears were used to the way they sounded before...I thought I had ruined my speakers! I read about "break in period" and some people say they need to burn in, but an e mail to Bob Crites informed me of no such thing. He stated that the values need to stay constant and any degradation from use would be a bad thing. My ears were what needed the "break in time" and after a while I grew accustomed to the new sound and now I love the speakers again!"

I really like Graeters vanilla ice cream. Sometimes I get stuck eating Homemade brand because the budget is tight. After two or three bowls I get used to it. If the Homemade brand was all I was ever able to eat, I would never forget that Graeters is better. Just because you get used to something doesn't mean your initial impression is incorrect. I don't think you "hated" what you heard, I just think you had a strong preference for what you had, and then Bob brainwashed you. :)

No,

I liked the way my Klipschorns sounded before I recapped them. When I recapped them they were brighter than thay had been and initialy I did not like it.

unlike your analogy of the ice cream where if i never ate anything but crappy ice cream I would not know the difference, I have had many pairs of excellent speakers in my listening room along with my Klipschorns...before and after the recapping, including Polk SDA SRS, Infinity RSB II's, Kef 107's, Maggies etc. and continue to experiment with different amplification including Mcintosh, Sansui, Pioneer and others. I do know the difference in sound from different speakers and have opinions of what I like and do not like.....I have not just grown used to listening to crap or been brainwashed. I find your comments insulting,

Ed