Time to replace OEM Klipschorn crossovers

o0O Bill O0o

Rigma's were designed to be as close as possible to what the electronic crossovers accomplish when using the Jub bass bin and the K402 horn with a K69 driver. This would include all of the eq and delay if I am not mistaken.

He also uses, IIRC, 300B SET amps at around 10 watts per channel.

Bruce

My guess is that the time delay was not accomplished (for "aligning" the drivers). There are analog all pass filters that can provide some time delay, but the amounts are usually small and would not be applicable in this case. I might be wrong ...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean,

I have a perspiring mindWink But seriously I have seen ALK's jub schematic and pictures of Rigma's and it looks to me like night and day differences. I was/am just curious what those differences are. It's not a need, it's a want.

babadono

LOL, well, I can certainly relate to that.

They are night and day -- two totally different approaches. Roy's networks are designed using LEAP software and an anechoic chamber. Roy prefers the Linkwitz-riley 48dB/octave design. Traps are added in both the low pass and high pass sections to deal with abberations in the frequency response. http://www.rane.com/note160.html

Al uses his own proprietary software and his newest designs are in the area of 120dB/octave. However, he doesn't do anything to account for the falling response of the driver on a CD horn, so if you want to go two way -- you need external EQ. I tell people using this filter to go three-way and tack on a 3rd order Butterworth for the tweeter. To understand Al's design methodology, it's probably best just to let him explain it:

"The very best way to transfer power is to match impedance. When you have impedance mis-match, you have reflected power (bad or low return loss). This is DIRECTLY related to efficiency. A constant impedance network will have LESS LOSS and GREATER efficiency than a poorly matched one. There is a direct relationship between the passband response of any filter and the impedance it is terminated with and what it presents to the source. What all this boils down to is that if the filter is not constant impedance it can not have a smooth passband response!"

• 7 months later...

I installed a set of Custom ALK XOs -it took him a second to understand my design goals. Then I use the MEN220 as a time delay for the HF/MID and an active XO at about 450 hz, 8th order both ways. I use two 75wpc stereo (4x75)amps and attenuate the HF/MID in a bi-Amp mode.

I've got "room to grow" in terms of calibrating and tuning. Plus I haven't gone in with a custom EQ curve in the MEN220. Its great as is and I am sure I am going to have more fun! Plus the room correction is a great feature.

Bill

• 3 months later...