Ready to invest in some acoustic panels

Heritage_Head

The "industry standard" panel material is Owens-Corning 703 fiberglass board, 3 pounds per cubic foot (pcf). The edges are hardened with resin and the panel is covered in fabric that lets the fiberglass do most of the LF absorbtion. I've seen 703 on ebay. Maybe roll your own?

--Greg

Just out of curiosity on the diy note, I always thought that the panels had to have 2 inches of space be hind them to trap the air to work properly.

Nick

It's my understanding that the absorption vs. frequency characteristics depend on the space behind the panel. IIRC greater space behind the panel improves LF absorption. So I think the spacing will depend on what frequencies we intend to absorb.

What are the best places to put panels normally? I have read

about using a mirror to find the reflected spots. But was wondering if there were

some basic tips for best results.

I have seen a lot of people put some directly behind the speakers.

Is there and advantage to this?

While I think the pre-made stuff is too expensive, the guy who does the realtraps stuff seems pretty knowledgeable but also down to earth. Check realtraps.com in the how to section.