The Ultimate Record Cleaning Tweak

thebes

I'm tired of those , nits, those ..twits, those, those...smarmy little nerds over at AudioKarma (talk about a misnomer) getting all the kudos for inventing nifty audio cleaning tweaks. I happen to know, that it was somebody on this forum (no, not me) that came up with the idea of using a Swifter to keep clean tube amps. Amy was appalled we even knew what a Swifter was. Get over it girl, it's a New Age).

Sure those Ak'ers invented the use of a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for cleaning a stylus, but good ole Thebes is about to finish them off.

Yes it's our old friend the Swifter. So you get out your Nitty Gritty; or homebrew record cleaner. Wash'em up in the sink. Whatever get's them clean and dry. Then you go to slide them into a brand new sleeve, and, OH NO!, no clean sleeves. Or, OH NO!, I can't afford clean sleeves!

That's OK my friends, simply slide our aforementioned Swifter inside that old sleeve. While your at it, slide that Swifter inside the jacket and give it a twirl. Gift them both with a blast of air from your own God-given lungs for good luck. No, not after eating fresh garlic. Then tuck that clean vinyl away and see just how little dust greets you the next time you take it out.

No harm, no foul, and no Ak geeks telling us how it's done.

This could just be, my penultimate contribution to the art of vinyl. (roaring applause)

Well this a great idea! I am SO glad I have gotten back into vinyl, and now feel like something had been missing for years and years. Many here quietly always knew it, or at times not so quietly. No matter. But I have to give this jacket cleaning a try! I have found dozens upon dozens of old records in thrift shops that were just dusty but otherwise in great shape, and inside jackets could surely use, if not a new sleeve altogether, at least a quick dusting.

And now for my contribution! I found the perfect holder for the carbon fiber brush I use between full baths: a glass butter dish with lid! One should probably keep it up out of the way of little ones, or in our case, dog tails, but it keeps the brush clean and kind of looks like it was made for it. The plastic version just wasn't as good, and soundstage height and depth suffered with the plastic butter tray holder thingie vs the heavier one made from 100% silica glass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

my best record cleaning tweak was when i gave away my modest 300+ album collection away 25 years ago. haven't had to clean a noisy album since...Cool

I did the same thing, but I do miss the lively sound of a clean LP, but not enough to start over.

The Ultimate DEEP CLEANING Record Cleaning Trick.

TITE2ONEGALL.jpg

I've got a smaller bottle of this to try but haven't yet. I've got one of the little steamers and things look clean but it won't remove the gunk like I've read this does. And if PM recommends it and Marvel also endorses I'm not going to argue. I've not seen the warp while steaming. But I have a couple of LPs, one a Simone and Garfunkle that's thin with multiple edge warps that I steamed and the other I forget what it is with a gnarly single edge warp. Did the steaming do it. Not sure. Didn't check them real closely before. I've steamed the 'ell out of a couple and didn't phase them so I'm still not sold and not ready to give up but will pay closer attention as it's possible I've added edge warp to a couple of otherwise fine LPs. At least once cleaned up. But they may have been bad to begin with.

Time to try the Titebond on a couple that have some noise. One that I've had for a long while took reasonable care of but I think came noisy. Another I steamed the 'ell out of and it's still noisy.

I sitll need to try the Swiffer.

PM - don't you use the Swiffer before each playing?

P.S. Sleeve City at www.sleevetown.com Has pretty affordable record sleeves. And some really nice ones. And they'll send you samples for like a penny each. If I recall I think I liked their heavy rice paper as well or better than the MoFi. The biggest problem with very plain sleeves is finding which side is open. Looks like they've updated their really affordable ones to have a lable on side you use. I think my last order was for a hundred. Probably need closer to 500 or maybe a 1000. When I had a measly 70 LPs all were in Discwaser VRPs. Last time I counted over 500 and something tells me close to 1000 now but need to get organized and cataloged. Went to favorite local black herion store today but too early 9.xx as they open at 10:00 AM too late 2:30 as they close at 2:00 PM so no LPs today. But did find a couple of CDs at the Salvation Army but while I don't look too hard at the Salvation Army I've found very little in their pile of vinyl that interestests me. The Rescue Mission on the other hand I've found a lot I like and they refresh every so often. LPs 25 cents, often 10 for $1 and then clear out just about everything $3 a grocery bag. Went in one time and no LPs or CDs.... bare shelves. I thought maybe they were done with 'em but the lady said, nope, they clear 'em all out usually with the $3 a grocery bag and literally have tons more in the basement or other storage.

Good thing I don't make it weekly. Or maybe that's a bad thing...

The Ultimate DEEP CLEANING Record Cleaning Trick.

I've got a smaller bottle of this to try but haven't yet. I've got one of the little steamers and things look clean but it won't remove the gunk like I've read this does. And if PM recommends it and Marvel also endorses I'm not going to argue. I've not seen the warp while steaming. But I have a couple of LPs, one a Simone and Garfunkle that's thin with multiple edge warps that I steamed and the other I forget what it is with a gnarly single edge warp. Did the steaming do it. Not sure. Didn't check them real closely before. I've steamed the 'ell out of a couple and didn't phase them so I'm still not sold and not ready to give up but will pay closer attention as it's possible I've added edge warp to a couple of otherwise fine LPs. At least once cleaned up. But they may have been bad to begin with.

Time to try the Titebond on a couple that have some noise. One that I've had for a long while took reasonable care of but I think came noisy. Another I steamed the 'ell out of and it's still noisy.

I sitll need to try the Swiffer.

PM - don't you use the Swiffer before each playing?

P.S. Sleeve City at www.sleevetown.com Has pretty affordable record sleeves. And some really nice ones. And they'll send you samples for like a penny each. If I recall I think I liked their heavy rice paper as well or better than the MoFi. The biggest problem with very plain sleeves is finding which side is open. Looks like they've updated their really affordable ones to have a lable on side you use. I think my last order was for a hundred. Probably need closer to 500 or maybe a 1000. When I had a measly 70 LPs all were in Discwaser VRPs. Last time I counted over 500 and something tells me close to 1000 now but need to get organized and cataloged. Went to favorite local black herion store today but too early 9.xx as they open at 10:00 AM too late 2:30 as they close at 2:00 PM so no LPs today. But did find a couple of CDs at the Salvation Army but while I don't look too hard at the Salvation Army I've found very little in their pile of vinyl that interestests me. The Rescue Mission on the other hand I've found a lot I like and they refresh every so often. LPs 25 cents, often 10 for $1 and then clear out just about everything $3 a grocery bag. Went in one time and no LPs or CDs.... bare shelves. I thought maybe they were done with 'em but the lady said, nope, they clear 'em all out usually with the $3 a grocery bag and literally have tons more in the basement or other storage.

Good thing I don't make it weekly. Or maybe that's a bad thing...

I use a Swiffer Sheet sometimes, preferring a run with a carbon fiber brush before every play usually.

(using a point and shoot camera, with the color correction set to tungsten in a natural light room). I was too lazy to do it again. BONUS: hear what P.M. Summer sounds like!

Say thar PM, are you'all from Texas?[:D]

I really enjoyed the video, but I'm going to have to disappoint you and disqualify wood glue as a tweak.

It's more properly classified as a methodology, or process akin to using a record cleaning machine, etc.

Besides, it takes forever. It's worst than watching paint dry and I oughta know. At one side a day that's 3 and a half records a week, so less than 200 records a year. I probably acquire more than 200 records a year so I'd never catch up. I suppose one could make it a routine, equivalent to feeding my aquarium fish twice a day. However, I really don't need anymore good habits when there are so many bad habits awaiting my attention.

Say thar PM, are you'all from Texas?Big Smile

Hell yeah!

I really enjoyed the video, but I'm going to have to disappoint you and disqualify wood glue as a tweak.

It's more properly classified as a methodology, or process akin to using a record cleaning machine, etc.

Besides, it takes forever. It's worst than watching paint dry and I oughta know. At one side a day that's 3 and a half records a week, so less than 200 records a year. I probably acquire more than 200 records a year so I'd never catch up. I suppose one could make it a routine, equivalent to feeding my aquarium fish twice a day. However, I really don't need anymore good habits when there are so many bad habits awaiting my attention.

Yeah, that's why I bought a VPI. But I still use Titebond II on some LPs the VPI can't quite get to. Plus... woodglue is quiet. :-)

I have a Shure v15 type 5 mr that supposedly can track anything. Severe edge warp can cause it to jump, but actually it has tracked some pretty gnarly edge warp very well.... funky wow due to the resulting speed variations.

Come to think of it, I have one of their trackability torture disks still factory seald. One came with the cartridge and it had a coupon for one so I sent it on.

Worth anything to sell? Or to trade?

Maybe I should put an LP with really bad edge warp that I think does couse the v15 to jump in the diswasher... maybe it'll be able to track it after such a thorough cleaning? I'm the label will be unreadable but could protect it with wax or something easily removable so it may work quite well.

So why wouldn't a diswasher, other than cleaning off the lable, be bad if one could remove the heat. I can remove the heated dry but not sure it has a cold or even warm water setting. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm might be woth wasting a trashed LP just to see.

Then we can market audiophile record cleaning dishwashers to neuroitc audiophiles subject to trying the latest fad. Green magic marker around the edges of the CD.

Ok Kaiser and Marshall, I think I have a business plan but no captital. Don't really need one. For $300 we will disable hating element in dishwasher. Add in your favorite record cleaner... we could market our own at say a reasonable $50 a gallon and of course one has to fill the delayed release bay and the now even though all will run out. Or just throw a cup on. Any less and no deal.

We create a you tube video, convincing Thebes or somebody to be the "star" extoling the virtues with before and after shots. And then reather than do it ourselves we anonymosuly hire local to the purchaser to do the work for us. Let's see, if $125 service call we might want to pay then $250 as "you want me to do what!?! And he want's it now? So the ultimate record cleaning tweek. And of course we can also seel label protectores.. I'm thinking the easy to remove sticky back labels, die cut to fit a standard label perfectly. Maybe 50 cent each in bulk, $100 or more. $1 in small quantities. And so if we're paying the service tech $250 we should charege at least $500 or $600 for this service as the more expen$ive it is the "better" it will be in the neurotice audiophiles mind.

Ya both in! (copyright 2012, BLSamuel) How to get that R in a circle other than cutting and pasting... I'm too lazy to go find one?

[8][8][8][H][8][8][8]

$$$$$$$

Sleep has been elusive lately but mang, it does improve creativity.

This crazy scheme probably doesn't require any capital... anyone want to get on TV, maybe we can get a bunch of orders in which case we will need capital? We can send Thebes. He'll think it's fun, and a hoot, and probably for less than a full share. And then nobody has to know the real brains behind this scam uh moneymaking opportunity. Can't find those little Perfection steamers anymoer. At $30 could've probably sold to such audiophiles for $60 + shipping.

Maybe I shold auction mine off on eBay but it does a great job of steaming LPs... and no known damage, except maybe a couple of bad edge warps but may have been there before the steaming..... ooooh... use a steam dishwasher.... am I good nuts or what? And we could add an image of Hypno Toad to each package. The Sharks would probably want to order the service for each of their dishwashers but wouldn't know why....

psssssssh easier than taking candy from a baby. They might get a big fussy. Once the frenzy starts we can auction off the sevice to highest bidder on ePay

$$$$$$$

p.s. HypnoToad works for flies. literally. And may a hot female toad every now and then. And a well fed happy HypnoToad will be even more effective for his true purpose in life.

Now that I'm at work maybe I can get some sleep. I'll count it as spontaneous productivity improvement. Not mine but my co-workers may be more productive if I don't uh, consult with them

woo hoo satisfying insane work goals while taking a nap

(using a point and shoot camera, with the color correction set to tungsten in a natural light room). I was too lazy to do it again. BONUS: hear what P.M. Summer sounds like!

I love the video, and of course, being a carpenter, have a good supply of wood glue. Would you be a pal and send me a few of your credit cards?

I love the video, and of course, being a carpenter, have a good supply of wood glue. Would you be a pal and send me a few of your credit cards?

Well, maybe my wife's Talbot card...