The search begins for Forte, Chorus, KLF.....

Klipschtastic

I have been contemplating for a while now about which speakers to buy. I want to upgrade from my Rf3s for my 2 channel listening and put them back to home theater room.

I initially wanted klf20s and have read older posts comparing them to various other klipsch speakers such as the Forte and Chorus. I do prefer the asthetics of the klfs slightly over the others but from what I read they are all basically in the same league and I would be happy with any of them. So this brings me to one last question (or two):

1) Are the Chorus iis with the passive radiator preferred over the originals? Is there a big difference in bass? Aslo feel free to share your experiences with any of the speakers though I know it has been gone over a lot before.

2) How far would you drive to the speakers you want? I live in Charleston WV and I am used to not finding what i want near me. I'm thinking I may easily have to drive 6 or more hours one way if the right ones come up for sale.

I've got KLF20s and original Fortes with Bob Crites tweets. I have heard Chorus.

You can't go wrong with ANY of them. They all sound fantastic. The only thing which might weigh into my decision to NOT pursue a set of Chorus is their size and footprint. Especially since I already have the other two and both can be moved by just one guy. They just don't dominate the room the way Chorus do. But that's chicken scratch in the scheme of things.

Charlie West isn't all that far away from some big metro areas. Is Joey's still open? ;) Keep the van fueled up and an eye on Search Tempest (Craigslist). I suggest a road trip with a strong friend with a drivers license. The speakers will repay you over and over for your effort.

You can add reflex ports to Chorus loudspeakers to extend their bass response. The vents will be 6 - 7 inches long. The passive of the Chorus ll will likely probide you with better bass out of the box but they too can be re tuned with some added weight. The biggest difference between a Chorus and a Chorus ll is the better mid horn used in the Chorus ll. Only you can decide which flavor of the three speakers that you mentioned which you will like best. Listen to them and decide. Some like the fifteen inch woofer some the twelve, me I like the dual tens which will push about 40% more air than a single twelve inch woofer. They are all great speakers which you could be very happy with. Check as many out as you can before you buy. If you can find great deals then buy and try and keep doing that til you find the one you like the best. Good luck with tiyr search. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, this is great site. I definately expect to do some driving to get these. I think the KLF20s and 30s will be may first choice by a small margin but I am very open to any of them given the right price and proximity to home.

Oh, and Joey's has been closed for several years now. It was a popular place though.

I would go with the KLF20s over the KLF30s - I have owned the 20s for about 8 years and my friend got the 30s shortly after. Both are great speakers but the 20s seemed to have beter bass responce with the 10 inch woofers and though they are big the 30s are HUGE!!!!

You will get the best sound with the most power you can get to them. a 100 watt/channel AVR will be fine but to really wake them up and get big bass you will want 200 - 250/channel.

I would tend to agree here. Give a pair of KLF20 some juice and they can rock very hard and in a very acceptable size format. No bigger than a Forte but with a frontal view of only 12 inches wide. Thirties are just bigger than most will ever need to go. Good advice. Best regards Moray James.

I"ll make this easy on you: Do you have a SWMBO? If so, KLF 20. All of the speakers on your list sound great, no doubt. The Fortes can probably be found the cheapest. Another option might be a set of Quartets on 15-17" stands. This last option will be the least expensive by far, but sound nearly as good IMHO.

They
can be had for so little money (in comparison to what they cost new)
and will give you so much enjoyment I think your best approach would be
to acquire all three! Make up your mind later on which you prefer the
most.

Big PLUS on this advice. Own them all and then decide. This kind of hands on experience is invaluable. Best regards Moray James.

I'm actually in the process of doing this. I have Forte 2's and KLF 20's and currently seeking C2's. In my listening room which is somewhat small (12x12) the nod is going to the Forte 2's. As mentioned the KLF's love power and you need a good bit to open them up. I've since moved them into the living room which is WAAAAAAY larger and they just fill the room I think these need a pretty good sized room to really be able to hear there soundstage. What size room will "they" be in?

They can be had for so little money (in comparison to what they cost new) and will give you so much enjoyment I think your best approach would be to acquire all three! Make up your mind later on which you prefer the most.

Rockhoun: I think that you will fine given the speakers you want to compare to being the Forte ll and the KLF20 that the CF2 only uses dual 8 inch woofers and haf a crossover point about 2KHz plus. The CF3 has dual 10 inch woofers and a crossover point of about 800 Hz. I dont think the CF2 really has a chance against the other two designs that you have right now. Best regasrds Moray James.

Timely segue and I am sorry for Jacking the thread but.....WRT CF3 and KLF 20:

When I FINALLY got some KLF20s and A/B'd them with my CFs, I was initially disappointed. I expected the 20s to slaughter the CFs. Not so. Different yes, but not a slaughter. It just reinforced my love for the CFs. I'll just leave it at that. They are both fantastic but require slightly different settings to maximize the smile quotient.

Then again, my SS stuff isn't nearly up to par with what many of you run and may contribute to my anal-asis.

Buy them all and let The Jesus sort em out!!!! Or words to that affect. You'd be surprised how many you can fit in one room. Especially when there is no SWMBO!

I agree that both the KL20 and the CF3 are inclined to like more power than the factory efficiency numbers would suggest. The benefit of the two way over a three way are that the two way will intigrate sooner (as in closer) than a three way will. With horns bigger is better and the horn in the Cf3 is a good percentage larger than the mid horn in the KLF20 or Forte ll. Buy em and try em and keep the ones you love the most. Best regards Moray James.