Cinema F-20 build thread

CECAA850

ha, if only you guys could see the 14 page PM thread covering this project and its evolution. Carl has been great to work with and is making this piece of my system possible far sooner and in far better shape than I could have. Plus, it gives me an excuse to go down to Beaumont (from Dallas) and listen to all the gear he's added since I stole his RF-5's.

The sub will still be available for auditions after the 18th, you will just have to travel up to the DFW area. ;)

Your build is really looking great and it is wonderful that you are doing it to help someone else out.....! That's what it's all about, my friend....!

Thanks. It's something that I enjoy doing. I just hate that I don't have more time to devote to projects such as these. Along with my job (55 hrs/week including travel time) keeping my household up and running and normal family involvements, I've had a slight family crisis that's taken a lot of the remaining time that I have left. Michael has been extremely patient with me and my ever changing time lines.

I would consider MDF, I suppose. I was thinking of using this as furniture as well...coffee table sub...and figured Birch would be the ticket. Not sure how the MDF takes paint. I suppose I could Formica it once home. My wife and I have, if not mastered, then managed reasonable jobs and this is a pretty easy one given it's all square and such. My TT stands came out pretty nice done that way and Formica is a pretty resiliant surface for a table.

Yes, I understood this one would be traveling soon...but I've read enough reviews on this to be certain it would work for me and you've got plenty of bass of your own I want to hear!

Dave

mdf takes paint very well. i'm contemplating a bed-liner type of coating, or possibly painting it to match my black wainscoting. I've even considered contacting an acquaintance of mine who does body work to see if he can help create a piano finish. the sub will be used in raw form until i can spend some time with it in its space and make up my mind. with all of the work carl is putting into the construction and finish details, i don't want to just haphazardly slap some paint on it. :/

I don't know if you saw my Tuba-18 build that ended up with the black base coat clear coat. Just the primer, paint and clear materials were more than I'd care to admit to. I can't imagine what it would cost to finish your coffin in that. finish. I don't think I'd do it again. It is purdy though.

post-15193-13819687522716_thumb.jpg

Hmmm...bedliner sides with a Formica top might make for a decent coffee table.

However, I tried a bedliner spray from Autozone on the rebuild job I did on my Frazier Patio exterior speakers and was totally disappointed. Well, luckily I didn't try it on them first. I just sprayed several coats on a piece of scap plywood. The stuff didn't even cover the plywood grain. No way it was anything like my pickup truck bedliner.

Maybe there is better out there, but I just went with multiple coats of enamal over RotDoctor treatment.

As to Carl's table tuba... CRIKEY MATE! That thang fer a hore house er what??? [:P]

Really beautiful work!

Dave

i believe that's what i would be using. A buddy of mine recently found a DIY spray in liner around that same price and has been using it with great results. I plan to do my Ranger bed and would buy enough to do the sub as well.

That would be reasonable if you you could get it for 30.00 or so per liter. I don't need to do a truck!

Dave

Great thread and a phenomenal build. I'm glad that the post is up and going as it's been really hard to keep my mouth shut on this one. LOL You're a great guy and I say that having never met you, but it's obvious. Keep the pictures coming and BTW, I'm planning an end of the world blow out on December 21st and you sir are invited!