Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum with Chorus II produces persistent hum, anyone else had this issue?

isadorefarm

I'm just taking a wild guess but it sounds like you have a broadband noise issue. That's not going to be a ground loop or anything like that. The only suspicious thing is that Rogue gets 90 watts out of two EL-34s, That's a lot of power out of two tubes. They are driving the tubes pretty hard and they have a large amount of gain. So yes the noise floor can start to be an issue. If it was me, I would send it back. You might even be able to have the gain knocked down, with just some small loss in power. It might be worth asking about. A quality amp should be dead quiet but high gain amps can be problematic sometimes.

If you want a high power tube amp, I'd send the amp back, and buy one of Craig's NOS Valves amps. Craig has already responded here and he has many happy customers.

BTW - I would definitely re-do the connections on your speakers. That DIY job is just "Not Right".....Simple to do correctly. Get it done!

The Magnum upgrade on the cronus gets the KT 90 output tubes.... the standard EL-34's are only pushing 60 watts... I have the atlas magnum (same design) with KT 90's that is dead quiet through klipschorns.... depending on the preamp,need to put my ear up to the grillcloth to hear any hiss with the preamp cranked.... Right now I have a perseus (4 tube mu follower) in the main system and it is dead silent... My BBX II is almost as quiet also except for the high gain phono, but thats the nature of the beast.

got to be something wrong with unit... it happens even to the best.... I'd send it back, or talk to Rogue and see if there is a dealer in your area who can check it out for you?

I own several pieces of rogue equipment and they are very very high quality.... even your Cronus which is Rouge's "entry" int. has better guts, build quality, and engineering than some other supposed "high end" fancy scmancy manufacturers offerings...... That being said I had a problem with my rogue phono pre producing a "hum" not a ground loop or RF and sent it back.... bad part and they fixed it right up.... I'm afraid you may have to send it in for a fix. If they find that it was a bad part, try to get them to pay for shipping back to you at least.

one other thing it could be is RF interference..... have you tried turning off your WIFI? moving positions or in another room..... sometimes they can pick up RF and with the sensitive chorus it is amplified.... Just a thought....

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning toward sending it in, even just for my own peace of mind. I'll always wonder otherwise.

I also suspected WIFI issues, but turning off routers, computers etc. has made no difference.

The Magnum upgrade on the cronus gets the KT 90 output tubes.... the standard EL-34's are only pushing 60 watts... I have the atlas magnum (same design) with KT 90's that is dead quiet through klipschorns.... depending on the preamp,need to put my ear up to the grillcloth to hear any hiss with the preamp cranked.... Right now I have a perseus (4 tube mu follower) in the main system and it is dead silent... My BBX II is almost as quiet also except for the high gain phono, but thats the nature of the beast.

got to be something wrong with unit... it happens even to the best.... I'd send it back, or talk to Rogue and see if there is a dealer in your area who can check it out for you?

Thanks for letting me know about your experience with the Atlas Magnum. I have to believe that if your Atlas is reasonably quiet paired with Khorns, the Cronus shouldn't be causing troubles with less sensitive Chorus IIs. - Matt

Thanks for letting me know about your experience with the Atlas Magnum. I have to believe that if your Atlas is reasonably quiet paired with Khorns, the Cronus shouldn't be causing troubles with less sensitive Chorus IIs. - Matt

the only thing your chorus II should exaggerate is poor source material. Through all my Klipsch gear, poorly recorded material sounds bad. Very unforgiving because they are revealing. I know it's frustrating but I think you have a bad relay or something in your amp. Should be a quick fix

I'd suggest sending it in to Rogue. Something is wrong. You should not have to pay anything but some shipping charges since it's so new.

By the way none of the noise you decribed would be considered hum. Hum is produced by the woofer. I'd be shocked if Rogue built gear with the kind of noise you're describing.

Ive tried a Rogue Audio Cronus and returned it.

When I tried it at the store, no him... sounded great... with my Power cord and speakers... hum. Very very similar to yours.

It turns out the Hifi shop, had floated the ground, removing the ground pin on the cord.

I tried this and the hum was gone... this is not ok for new gear, so I returned it. I love Rogue equip. but worry about grounding issues.

When I tried it at the store, no him... sounded great... with my Power cord and speakers... hum. Very very similar to yours.

It turns out the Hifi shop, had floated the ground, removing the ground pin on the cord.

I tried this and the hum was gone... this is not ok for new gear, so I returned it. I love Rogue equip. but worry about grounding issues.

If you read the original post, the OP had already ruled out a gound loop.

Ground Loops are not necessarily the fault of the gear......There are a lot of factors at work here. Some are not avoidable. The manufacturer does not know how you are going to hook up the gear. Grounding issues are certainly not unique to Rogue....

If you read the original post, the OP had already ruled out a gound loop.

Ground Loops are not necessarily the fault of the gear......There are a lot of factors at work here. Some are not avoidable. The manufacturer does not know how you are going to hook up the gear. Grounding issues are certainly not unique to Rogue....

Good post! A quick look at how homes are wired and understanding the problem gets real easy...