Screw Bumpers LaScala Feet

sean5340

I picked up some door bumpers from Home Depot to use as feet on my LaScalas. I had added some felt pads a couple of years ago but wanted something a little less able to slide. My wife likes to move my speakers a bit and doesn't understand why they need to be toed in. She tells me "those speakers are big enough that you don't need to turn them to hear". Anyway this may make her less inclined to move them. [6]

post-23379-1381968792857_thumb.jpg

Sean,

A friendly word of advice....If she does try to move them all she will accomplish is tearing the VERY small rubber off of the screw holding it and gouge the nice hardwood floors. You need much larger rubber bumpers like are sold at parts express:

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=139

I was going to wait awhile before posting about the sound upgrade. Yes, there is an improvement. It is subtle but definite in the bass guitar reproduction. Hard to say exactly what but it seems like the bass guitar has better separation from the rest on the music. If that makes any sense. I would say the separation is more on par with the midrange now. One disclaimer though, I recently changed receivers to an HK 3490. I only had about five hours of listening before adding the feet. I did notice immediately after adding the feet however.

rubber "feet" always seem to reduce resonance issues with hardwood floors. I even made a lower "top" section panel for the Klipschorns to seal the bottoms from the floor and used "feet" to isolate the speaker itself from the floor. The speaker is "isolated" from the walls by speaker gasket tape on all edges that are supposed to flush with the walls. It does make a difference as it kills off unwanted vibrations through the floor.

I was at AudioKarma Fest in 2005 and Craig (NosValves) had 3' lotion bottles from the hotel under the fronts of his LaScalas and it made a huge difference. I went home and made some risers almost identical to the risers under Heresys and as I said, the sonic difference was huge especially in the bass dept......