KPT-415-LF

davis419b

The box size is in the screen shot. 49.4 X 35.75 X 22.4

I was going to make a set as well. For the ports, I was going to use 8 X 8 X 11 5/8 with the 11 5/8 side being 12 15/16th deep. Motorboard thickness of 15/16th. Port size extrapolated using similar KPT cabinet spec's (volume/driver/low end cutoff). It would be great if someone could validate the port estimates.

if your going to use K-43-EP's, series/parallel would get you 4 ohms.

post-22082-1381968811782_thumb.png

K-45's are 4 ohms as well, but hard to find. The 45's I have owned are real nice drivers....vented with more power handling than 43's. I been looking for a pair of 45's if you know of a source...let me know.

Ideally I would want to see one in person with a tape measure

in hand before cutting anything myself. To have one around to study while

building when a question came up would be a real bonus. Looking at the ports and not seeing any sort

of depth in the way of a tube type port concerns me but I really don't know. I am

just guessing about the size of the two triangular openings I would guess 100

square inches. A Cornwall is about

25 or 26 sq. in. and the KPT-904 has 4 - 4 inch tubes I think, each 13 sq. in. or

just over 50 sq. inches. Using that kind of thinking a pair of 10 inch equilateral

right triangles would be around the100 sq. inchs. The reflectors appear to

be installed for bracing and to stop standing waves inside the cab.

Ideally I would want to see one in person with a tape measure in hand before cutting anything myself. To have one around to study while building when a question came up would be a real bonus. Looking at the ports and not seeing any sort of depth in the way of a tube type port concerns me but I really don't know. I am just guessing about the size of the two triangular openings I would guess 100 square inches. A Cornwall is about 25 or 26 sq. in. and the KPT-904 has 4 - 4 inch tubes I think, each 13 sq. in. or just over 50 sq. inches. Using that kind of thinking a pair of 10 inch equilateral right triangles would be around the100 sq. inchs. The reflectors appear to be installed for bracing and to stop standing waves inside the cab.

I dont have to see one in person although it would be ideal. Somebody has to own a pair that would be willing to give up a little info. I have 904's/402/k-69 and they sound fabulous, The ports are 4' X 3-3/4' deep.

A push-pull arrangement for lower distortion (TAD).

That would be a relatively easy mod to the KPT-415-LF design to get audibly lower distortion, IMHO.

Chris

djk, I have a friend who has some of these push pull type speakers. They are servo controlled and sound fantastic. These are proto-types he built while waiting on a factory built pair which have now arrived but I dont have any pics of them. This pic of the proto type is not very good as it was taken with my I-phone and was in the dark.

post-29696-13819688197852_thumb.jpg

"Thanks Gary ! This picture is alot of help . I didnt even realize there
were baffles of some sort inside. Now if I can just find out what they
are and where they go I will get started."

Why are you so all fired up to build a cabinet that only goes to 43hz, and the drivers are hard to get?

The 'baffles' are just cabinet bracing, no more than that.

What is your intended use for this cabinet?

Whether it is for home use, cinema, or PA ; I could think of a better cabinet design to build.

"That would be a relatively easy mod to the KPT-415-LF design to get
audibly lower distortion, IMHO."

I was trying to encourage thinking along that line.

" I have a friend who has some of these push pull type speakers."

Those look interesting.

P-P tends to sound like a servo (without needing the servo), I've been building push-pull slot-loaded (PPSL) for over 25 years now.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/dkleitsch/CoePA-2009.jpg

"Thanks Gary ! This picture is alot of help . I didnt even realize there were baffles of some sort inside. Now if I can just find out what they are and where they go I will get started."

Why are you so all fired up to build a cabinet that only goes to 43hz, and the drivers are hard to get?

The 'baffles' are just cabinet bracing, no more than that.

What is your intended use for this cabinet?

Whether it is for home use, cinema, or PA ; I could think of a better cabinet design to build.

In my opinion the 904 bass bin puts out the best bass I have heard from all of the Klipsch speakers that I have owned and thats alot. I am thinking bigger is better. I am a bass ***** !

I already have all of the drivers ! They will be used in one of my 2 channel systems.

Guest Anonymous

Picky posted this photo a couple years ago and gives a good idea on what the inside looks like. ports look bigger than 8 x 8 to me. no clue on how far the cab is at this point in production but I would think that the wood work is pretty well done.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/136225/1382801.aspx

So Gary, i clicked on your link. I was completely sucked into that rabbit hole. I have to find a way to attend the 2012 Pilgrimage...long drive.

....What a great thread that was.

Picky posted this photo a couple years ago and gives a good idea on what the inside looks like. ports look bigger than 8 x 8 to me. no clue on how far the cab is at this point in production but I would think that the wood work is pretty well done.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/136225/1382801.aspx

So Gary, i clicked on your link. I was completely sucked into that rabbit hole. I have to find a way to attend the 2012 Pilgrimage...long drive.

....What a great thread that was.

Quite the topic by picky. I too was sucked in but only did about 10 pages, Dialup lets you leave the room for 10 minutes to do other things that need to get done. I really like when folks ask questions that I don't know much about, If I am interested in that topic it allows me to go off and find lots of great stuff that I would not have looked for.on my own.

since you have 904 bass bins, load two more woofers in front of the ones that are in there now, wire them out of phase and follow the series/parallel mode....and your would have a 415-lf in half the foot print.