Icon to Reference - Major or Minor Upgrade?

jcavner

On my current setup I have KF-28's in the front, KC-25 Center with some RS-42II for surround and KS-14's in the rear. Also running a front and rear Reference 12 inch sub. All powered by a Yamaha RX-A3000 and an external amp for the rear surrounds. I have the opportunity to get my hands on a new pair of RF-62II fronts and RS-52II surrounds for a ridiculous price. If I purchase them, the living would look like this:

RF-62II in the front

KC-25 - Center (potential weak point?)

RS-42II - Surrounds or Rear

RS-52II - Rear or Surrounds

Reference 12 - Front Sub

Reference 12 - Rear Sub

A few questions:

Would upgrading to the RF-62II's in the front be that much of an upgrade considering it's a drop in woofer size?

How quickly do you think a center channel upgrade would need to take place? My main concern here is if I move the KF's to the bedroom (probably way oversized for the room), my current center (RF-42) will be way undersized. I also have a set of RF-42 fronts that would no longer have a home unless I move them to the office for a stereo style setup. The bedroom currently runs off a Denon 1910.

I have a feeling that if I start this process it will turn into an avalanche of purchasing to get everything all matched up (new center for living room, more powerful external amp for the rears, etc) . LOL I realize that sound is subjective and I am happy with both my Icon and smaller Reference setups. It's one of those things where the deal is so good it's hard to pass up. The living room is mainly used for movie watching, the bedroom is mainly for TV.

Any and all input is welcome. If it happens, the purchase will take place today.

what price for the RF62s?

I just got a set a few weeks back to replace my KLF20s (needed to downsize) and they are fantastic. I have played them quite a bit full range with my sub turned off and I am very surprised with the bass and how loud they go. I can play my Denon 2805 at full output with 0 sounds of stress from the speakers.

I say if the deal is that good then get them and you can always figure out the rest later! I dont like to pass up on great deals no matter what

I don't know the price talk policies here, but I got the pair of 62's for $600 shipped. I received a pretty awesome frequent buyer coupon from a place I shop at quite a bit :)

I'm like you, I don't like to pass on deals at all. So I bought them. haha. Now to either sell my KF-28's & KC-25 or my RF-42s.

The Reference series is designed to have a musical edge over the Icon's, but how will this play out in your home is the question. I have the Icon W series and thought about upgrading, but I find them very well suited for music and am very satisfied at this point. A lot depends on the room acoustic and room correction software that your are using. Upgrade if you feel you are missing something. I went to several AV custom shops and demo B&W, Paradigm and the Reference speakers after buying the Icon. Should of did that before, but the good is that I did not feel I was missing anything considering the cost/performance ratio. Buying your system is like buying a car, if you don't get what you want, you will always have that nagging feeling of what if. Good luck, you will be a winner either way. The most musical speakers that I heard were the Golden Ear. HT is not such a problem on speaker choice.