Trying to set up a budget 6.1 system

mrpork

Hi, I'm trying to create a decent 6.1 system on a very limited budget. (Less than $1500 total)

This is what I'm looking at

Klipsch Synergy System 6 - $700 online, $999 MSRP

JVC RX-8020VBK Receiver - $350 online, $450 MSRP

Toshiba SD-5700 DVD player - $230 online, $400 MSRP

Klipsch SC.5 Center Channel- $120 online, $179 MSRP

OR

Klipsch SC-1 Center Channel- $179 online, $280 MSRP

Total: $1,400-$1,459 online, $2,028-$2,129 MSRP

How does this sound?

I like the JVC receiver because it has a pretty good price for a Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES capable system, and it has front-panel USB input. I also like the Toshiba because it's pretty cheap for a progressive-scan DVD player and it can also play DVD-Audio and HDCD.

Which center channel do you suggest? Should I get another SC.5 to match the one that comes with the Klipsch Synergy 6, or should I buy a SC-1 center channel for the front, and use the SC.5 that comes with the Klipsch Synergy 6 as a rear center?

Below are some links to the Toshiba and JVC equipment. Thanks in advance.

http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/dvd/current/SD5700.html

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026800

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-z9ur4Pszxqs/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=4&g=10420&I=257RX8020V&o=m&a=0

If I may make a suggestion, ditch the JVC receiver. You should look into the new lineup from Onkyo (r500 retails for about $269, and r600 for $450) or check out the Outlaw 1050 ($499). Both the 1050 and r600 are 6.1 channel receivers which the JVC is not (only 5.1). They also have much nicer amplifier sections (especially the Outlaw). The Outlaw will go much further down the upgrade path also since it has a full compliment of pre-amp outs so that you could use an outboard amplifier with it. I'd go with the best possible matching center channel. If the SC-1 is a match, go with it. It will be worth the extra $$.

------------------

My System So Far:

Fronts: KLF 10 (Med. Oak)

Center: KLF C7 (Med. Oak)

Surrounds: Def. Tech BP6

Sub: SW-12II (Black Ash)

Receiver: H/K AVR 25II

DVD: Panasonic DVDR31S

CD: Yamaha CDC 655

Thanks for replying, I didn't realize that the JVC receiver didn't have outputs for a rear-center channel, but I guess it doesn't. I looked at the Outlaw and was disappointed that it couldn't decode DTS-ES, so I'm not sure if I want that either. Now I'm looking at the Pioneer VSX-D811S and the Onkyo TX-SR600.

I can find the Onkyo for $450 and the Pioneer for $300. Is the Onkyo really worth the extra $150? Below are some links.

Onkyo TX-SR600

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-nlzk7fRbr2u/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=4&g=10420&I=580TXSR600&o=m&a=0

Pioneer VSX-D811S

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-nlzk7fRbr2u/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=4&g=10420&I=130VSXD811&o=m&a=0

I'm curious, why are you pushing for 6.1 and DTS-ES right now?

In my opinion, on a $1500 budget, I would drop the rear center, and put that money toword your receiver instead. Get a better receiver capable of 6.1, DTS-ES, and whatever else you want now, and add that rear center in a few months when you have a little more money. That way your up and running in 5.1 now with a better receiver, and when you get a chance, you can move to 6.1 for a couple hundred dollars.

I would break your budget down like this:

Klipsch Synergy System 6 - $700

A/V Receiver - $600

DVD Player - $200

Don't forget about cables too. The price of some decent interconnects and speaker cable could put another $100 or so in the mix.

Sorry I don't have any specific receiver suggestions, but I would definitely look into Onkyo. Of course, before my Integra (owned by Onkyo), I owned an Onkyo 727, so I think I'm biased. I've always liked the Onkyo sound over other comparable recivers, and the Integra is even better yet.

I wouldn't rule out Denon, and especially Yamaha in that price range too.

------------------

Klipsch Epic CF-3s

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch RS-3 II Surrounds

Sunfire MKIV True Sub

Integra 8.2 Receiver

Pioneer DVD player

Monster Cable Interconnects and Speaker Cable

JVC 32' TV

A one word answer would be: yes. Take a look at the distortion on the Pioneer in stereo mode, .20%. Wow that is high! They don't even list the distortion with 6 channels driven, probably much worse. The Onkyo is a respectful .08% with all 6 channels driven. There are other issues also. The Pioneer Elite receivers are very nice though, a bunch more money. The Onkyo and Outlaw are two quality components. The Outlaw is the better component, but the Onkyo has more features.

Good luck,

JT

------------------

Enjoy and Happy Listening!

Thanks for replying. All this information has been very valuable for a novice like myself. I agree that it would probably be better to add a rear center channel later. It seems that my most difficult decision is choosing a proper receiver on such a tight budget. I understand that a high quality receiver is important, but I don't want to buy receiver A if a cheaper receiver B is going to sound the same with the Klipsch Synergy 6 speakers.

I've basically found three receivers from three different companies in three different price ranges. Tell me what you think.

Yamaha HTR-5560 - $359 online

Onkyo TX-SR600 - $409 online

Denon AVR-2802 - $552 online

Again, links below for your convenience. By the way, I found these prices on eBay. They're all from brick and mortar stores selling online through eBay, and the prices are the ones given with the "Buy It Now" option. Thanks in advance.

Yamaha

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-zpZNQSJq62V/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=4&g=10420&I=022HTR5560&o=m&a=0

Onkyo

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-zpZNQSJq62V/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=4&g=10420&I=580TXSR600&o=m&a=0

Denon

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-zpZNQSJq62V/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=4&g=10420&I=033AVR2802&o=m&a=0

Just in case you are still thinking about JVC still, I love mine (for the price). I got my RX-9010v online for $290 and it is great. It works great with DVD Audio and every other 5.1 format, but the only true reason you should get this receiver over the others is if you are going to hook up your computer to it.

The USB connection sounds 10 times better then when I hooked up my SoundBlaster platinum to receiver via optical.

Again, only get this one if you are on a low budget and you are going to be hooking up your PC to it.

------------------

Fronts----KLF 30's

Center----KLF-C7

Receiver--JVC RX-9010V

Rears-----Quintets

Sub-------RSW-15

TV--------Panasonic tau 32 HDTV

DVD/DVD Audio------TOSHIBA SD-5700

Game System- XBOX

------------------

Computer

1.8 P4 - 640 megs of DDR ram

Geforce 3

120gig and 60gig 7200rpm harddrives

8000 Mp3's, all hooked up to my receiver via USB

I am planning on connecting my computer to my receiver, but I'm confused as to why you're using an optical connection. Why don't you simply connect the SPDIF output on your Sound Blaster Live! to the Digital coaxial input on your receiver? Look at the following link. I think that the soundblaster.com page is down so here is a cached copy courtesy of google:

http://216.239.33.100/search?q=cache:PuSRBXs-A5AC:www.soundblaster.com/resources/read.asp%3FArticleID%3D5%26PartID%3D4+sound+blaster+spdif+receiver&hl=en&ie=UTF8

The reason why I'm sort of ruling out the JVC is because it's only 5.1. It's true that it has a 7.1-channel preamp output. However, I think I'd rather go with a full fledged 6.1 receiver.

I'd say the Onkyo or Denon out of the receivers your mentioned.

Bottom line is you have to go listen, and let your ears decide.

Check out www.outlawaudio.com too. Look at the Outlaw 1050. I've never heard one of these receivers, or seen one, but a lot of people on this board say they are excellent products. The company is internet based, so prices are good and right in your range.

------------------

Klipsch Epic CF-3s

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch RS-3 II Surrounds

Sunfire MKIV True Sub

Integra 8.2 Receiver

Pioneer DVD player

Monster Cable Interconnects and Speaker Cable

JVC 32' TV

If it hadn't been for the fact I got my Denon for $300 new and I have nowhere to put a 6th channel, I would've gotten the Outlaw. I convinced my dad to get one and it is nice. Remember, a lot those online stores don't have warranties (or they say they do and don't back up that statement) and the Outlaw does. Plus the customer service at Outlaw is top-notch. They'll replace the unit at any signs of problem. The Denon 2802 has Dolby Pro-logic 2 and the Outlaw doesn't. The Outlaw has variable crossover (can't remember if this was for the sub only, can someone chime in?) and the Denon doesn't. Otherwise they are similar.

------------------

My hodge-podge of equipment

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"