1989 Klipsch Floor Standing Speakers

CarlB

Guys, I recently inherited 2 Klipsch floor standing speakers from 1989. They are in perfect working order, but weigh 170lbs each.

I found a page about them: http://www.stereotimes.com/speak080301.shtml

Does anyone know the value of a used set of these or how to go about selling them? They are so large I'd hate to ship them, plus I am sure a buyer would want to hear them first.Are there high end audio consignment services?

Thanks

Photos and a location would help folks to offer a value that might be close. with out some info on the pair that you have we would be guessing. I have bought damaged Klipschorns for $500 othershave bought nice pairs for $1500 to $2000 (as in near perfect). Without what model and what finish (tags on the back, get photos) I don't think you will get an answer that will help much. Look on Ebay at the selling price and compair to what you have come into. Thats about the best answer I can give. Help us help you/

I'll get some better pictures, but here are some from my phone.

Posted Image

Posted Image

These are located in North Louisiana. I haven't seen any on ebay, probably due to size/weight.

My grandfather bought these new, but he passed away in 1995. My grandmother rarely used them after that. So they have manly just been furniture for their lives. I've never pulled these away from the wall to inpect any tags.

Also these are connected to a Pioneer SX-980.

Photos and a location would help folks to offer a value that might be close. with out some info on the pair that you have we would be guessing. I have bought damaged Klipschorns for $500 othershave bought nice pairs for $1500 to $2000 (as in near perfect). Without what model and what finish (tags on the back, get photos) I don't think you will get an answer that will help much. Look on Ebay at the selling price and compair to what you have come into. Thats about the best answer I can give. Help us help you/

I agree with Gary 99.9% but I want to add,

eBay yes, but remember eBay prices often have built in adjustments for shipping and handling, folks tend to pad before shipping on fixed prices.

I had someone near me list 77' Heresy I's at $800 a pair after seeing a eBay listing at that price that included shipping.

I'm not being self biased here I won't be buying your speakers.

I wish I had the room for a pair though!

Have you listened to them? If you got the space i would keep them if not just because they were your grandfathers consider this new ones cost about 8000.00 a pair so later if you wanted some look out. Type in Klipschorn on e-bay there is always some on there. You need to pull these away from wall get serial numbers off back and pic of crossovers. Again i advise you to keep them they are one of the best if not the best speakers in the world ,made from 1946 and made in Hope Ark. Rick http://www.klipsch.com/klipschorn-floorstanding-speaker

I listened to them for the first time recently. They are defenatly amazing. The cresendo on a song scared me half to death. These speakers get loud!

It is a possibility for me to store them in a climate controlled unit until I move to a larger house. They would be a bit large in my current living room.

There are some on ebay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=klipschorn&_sacat=See-All-Categories

(opens in new window)

For sure, you really will want to keep them. They look to have been lovingly maintained and it must have meant something for you to have inherited them.

There are some members on here who might live in your area if you need any hands on help.

Very sweet!

Bruce

you have a pair of speakers that only a small amount of people will ever see let alone own or hear. It's great to hear that you are keeping them as they look to be in fantastic shape. Paul Klipsch designed those speakers to take advantages of the use of corners to produce high efficiency sound. Alot of us make sacrifices to fit our speakers because for a ton of us there just isnt a compromise when it comes to sound and performance.

If you do decide to put them in storage make sure it is definitly climate controlled, you dont want to ruin an awesome piece of history and a timless design.

I listened to them for the first time recently. They are defenatly amazing. The cresendo on a song scared me half to death. These speakers get loud!

It is a possibility for me to store them in a climate controlled unit until I move to a larger house. They would be a bit large in my current living room.

Klipschorns get loud because real music gets loud. Most other speakers can't match them for lifelike dynamics, along with very low distortion.

Since they're made to fit tightly into the corners of the room (they use the room's walls as extensions of the bass horns), they don't use as much useful floor space as you might expect.

Those speakers' ultra-high efficiency means they use very little power to produce useful volume levels, so you're enjoying great sound, saving on electricity, and saving the planet at the same time. Those ones of yours also look like high-grade furniture, so they're a win in every way.

I'd be keeping them.

If I inherited speakers like that I'd never even think of getting rid of them!

Me either, cheers man welcome to the club! Gramps is givng you a [Y]double thumbs[Y] up from above for recognizing the value enjoing them. Take care of Gram and your new lifetime music buddys.[8]

"Also these are connected to a Pioneer SX-980." Also great! That man had good taste.

Thanks guys. I'm not desperate for money from these, so I'll put them into storage for the time being. Hopefully in a few months when my living situation changes I can set these up in a new living room.

Right now the Pioneer reciever is connected to an Onkyo 6 disc changer as the aux. I think I can use the onkyo for connecting these to other devices, maybe an optical cable from the TV. Can these be used for surround sound movies or is it mainly music?

Can these be used for surround sound movies or is it mainly music?

Whatever you want to feed them, but two of them are still only two channel (stereo) and not surround. Unless there are two more of them in the house...

They look to be in magnificent shape.

Bruce

I've got a powered center channel speaker on my current TV, but I am sure it is a bit weak in comparison.When the time comes I guess I'll buy a surround capable receiver and some additional speakers.

Is it safe to leave the Pioneer SX-980 on when not in use? If not I guess we will have to flip the switch on it any time we want to use it.The onkyo connected to it has a remote control, and feeds the AUX on the SX-980.

I use mine as the front L & R for my HT. Sounds great (especially with my Cornwalls as the center). I know I am a little late to this thread, but Welcome to the Forum! You probably don't want to have to move these speakers too many times...they are big and heavy as you know. Safely storing them until you have the space is probably a good investment.

Enjoy!