1989 Klipsch Floor Standing Speakers

CarlB

You probably don't want to have to move these speakers too many times...they are big and heavy as you know. Safely storing them until you have the space is probably a good investment.

The tops should be attached by bolts and wing nuts. Separating the bottoms from the tops will make them much easier to move.

Bruce

Well I convinced the wife to allow me to place these on each side of the entertainment cente as L/R channels.

Any reccomendations on a reciever with HDMI pass through? I'll need 100W for the front L/R. I'll probably buy a Klipsch center channel flat screen speaker for movie dialogue and maybe a wired/wireless subwoofer down the road. More of a 2.1 or 3.1 setup for now. I do not need lots of internet or streaming features as my TV has this, and I will be building an HTPC at some point. When we move to a larger place, I'll add the rear channels to get 5.1 sound.

I'll keep the Pioneer SX-980 for listening to music, since it is pretty easy to hook an aux to it.

Personally, if you are not doing full surround sound yet, I would run these in stereo or turn the center speaker off in your receiver to run a phantom center channel. These speakers will probably image a center channel so well that they will sound better than most actually center channels.

Awesome, I'll check out some of the HT setup threads to see what they have going on. My wife might allow these in our tiny living room. Right now I use a panasonic soundbar and remote subwoofer.

dsc_0703cr.jpg

Congratulations on keeping them. A good room for these speakers was actually a strong selection criterion when I bought my current house. You won't regret keeping your Grandfather's pride and joy (I'm assuming here).

As for a center, try plain stereo before using a modern skinny center speaker with these. It just won't keep up.

• 1 month later...

Here's an update guys. I had these moved to the living room today, it dwarfs the entertainment center. I'll post pictures later.

I have a question about the speaker wire connectors. The house these came from had the wiring in the walls, so the movers didn't bring it with them. It looks to have a red and black plug in with a screw on cap. The movers took a picture of the old wires and it is like a 3.5mm maybe 1/4" TRS connector. I'm used to a setup where you place the raw wires in, but I am little lost with this.

Does anyone with experience with this know what I will need? I can post pictures once I get home.

Sounds like banana plugs (you can buy them at any radio shack to attach to the end of your speaker wires) but if you unscrew the caps, you can still use bare wire. Unscrew them about 1/4 inch and you should see a hole to feed your wires through. If no hole, just wrap the bare wire around and re-tighten.

BTW - Congrats. Glad you kept them!

Edit:

Straight from the manual....

CONNECTING YOUR LOUDSPEAKER

Your loudspeakers are equipped with positive (Red) and

negative (Black) connection terminals, on the rear or side

of the cabinet. These correspond to the positive and

negative terminals on the appropriate channel (left, right,

etc.) of your amplifier and will accomodate bare wire,

spade lugs or banana plugs (See Figure 4).

• All speakers in your system must be connected in phase

with the positive speaker terminal connected to the positive

amplifier terminal. Repeat this for the negative

speaker and amplifier terminals. Most speaker wire has

distinguishing markings on the insulation of one of the

conductors to assist in correct hookup.

• Use 16-gauge (AWG), two conductor, copper wire at a

minimum and larger gauge wire for longer runs. The

connection terminals on your loudspeaker will accommo

date bare wire, spade terminals or banana type plugs.

Caution: With all connection types take care that there is

no contact between the positive and negative terminals at

the speaker and amplifier. Damage to your equipment

may result! (See Figure 4.)

Those look like exactly what I need! I'll go pick some up today.

I think the radio shack near me has 16 gauge as the largest speaker wire they stock. Would this be adequate or is it time to order some 12 gauge from monoprice? Just saw your post from the manual. Perfect, thanks again!

Posted Image

They kind of dwarf everything in my tiny living room. I am looking forward to eventually having a larger place. I canted these, so one corner is against the wall.

I understand this isn't ideal acoustically, but will have to do for now. For size reference the TV is a 55".

I did the right one this way and it helped a lot. I turned the left away from the listening position to use one corner, but this was to create a walking path into the hallway. When we move to a bigger place I'll pick a living room around whether I can place these speakers correctly.

Well after a bit of listening, I'm going to need to do something about the center channel for movies. The room is fairly small. Does anyone have an opinion on the RC-42 II vs. RC-52 II as a center channel? This will be connected to a denon avr-1912 or avr-2312CI (still debating on these).

The back of those KHorns (judging by the year) are not closed. They need to be against a corner to seal the back inorder to get any bass out of them. Since you have doors on either side, I suggest that you investigate false corners. I once had my KHorns in a room that was 11x32'. I used 18 of the 32 feet for the HT area, with one speaker in a corner and the other up against an IKEA table top pushed against it to form a false corner. Worked great but I had another piece of furniture to hold the table-top against the speaker. You'd need to rig something different to hold it there.

(Resized your pic)

post-15702-13819693185616_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Well I convinced the wife to allow me to place these on each side of the entertainment cente as L/R channels.

Any reccomendations on a reciever with HDMI pass through? I'll need 100W for the front L/R. I'll probably buy a Klipsch center channel flat screen speaker for movie dialogue and maybe a wired/wireless subwoofer down the road. More of a 2.1 or 3.1 setup for now. I do not need lots of internet or streaming features as my TV has this, and I will be building an HTPC at some point. When we move to a larger place, I'll add the rear channels to get 5.1 sound.

I'll keep the Pioneer SX-980 for listening to music, since it is pretty easy to hook an aux to it.

Decided to bump this thread instead of a new one.

I've moved to a place with a decent living room that has two actual corners. I'll take some pictures later.

I'm looking for some advice on a receiver/amp setup. My grandfather's old pioneer SX-980 lost the left channel, so I purchased a Denon AVR-1912. HDMI switching and other features were great, but the audio quality is noticably worse. My Denon AVR-1912 was purchased as a refurbished model and died shortly after the warranty expired.

Can someone with khorns help me out with AVR selection? Which is the best route?

Option #1: Purchase another inexpensive receiver that has a remote, HDMI switching, surround, and other features and maybe using an amp for the Khorns.

Option #2: Spend more on a higher end receiver and don't worry about an amp.

I've not had the oppurtunity to listen to a lot of recievers, so I am open to suggestions. That lates 70s pioneer is better than anything I've come across, but doesn't have any modern features I also don't know how to get it repaired. I'd like to add a klipsch subwoofer down the road to help with movies and extreme lows in music. Eventually I may add a center and two rear channels for actual surround.

Between the two options you've listed, #2 is definitely the way to go. A receiver that has a good pre-amp and a good power amp built in should give you good sound.

The other idea, to get a cheap receiver to use as a pre-amp and couple that to a high-quality power amp, would not give you good sound, since the amp would not have a good clean undistorted signal to work with. The signal chain needs to have consistently high-quality units, from source to speakers, if you want to enjoy hearing your music properly.

It's great that you now have a room with good corners for your Khorns. It's important that they fit tightly into the corners. If the baseboards are keeping most of the height of the cabinets away from the walls, you won't be getting the bass you should be getting. If, like most people, you don't want to cut out the baseboards where they run behind the speakers, you should get something to close the gaps between the walls and the speaker cabinets.

Some Khorn owners will likely post soon, but what I keep hearing is that pipe insulation or a similar material can be used on the speaker corners to fill the gap. The design of the Khorns uses the room's walls as extensions of the bass horns, but that only works if there is a continuous surface, without any gaps, from the sides of the speakers to the walls.

I do have baseboards and while I am perfectly fine cutting them, my wife probably isn't! I will consult her on some options to make sure we have a good seal to the walls. Is there a Klipshorn FAQ thread somewhere? Owners tips, tricks, frequent issues, etc.

Any suggestions on a good receiver that matches the Khorns? The Pioneer Elite SC-71 reviews seem to speak highly of it class d amp, Sony STR-1040 has some nice features. I would prefer not to spend over $1K. Even something like the Outlaw RR 2150 (if it has a remote) would be fine, since it could run all audio from the TV and has sub out.

Too many choices! Just found the Peachtree Audio decco65 online and that looks like something promising. Digital inputs, but analog out.

I'm not up to date on electronics, since I'm using 2008 or so power amps, and a 2004 receiver. Yamaha products have always sounded good to me, and they have a range of items to suit every budget.

Higher end: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/

Mid-range: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/

Hi-fi components: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/

There may be a Khorn FAQ page, but I haven't seen it. You could search the forum for entries related to Khorns and corners, pipe seal, etc.

Here's a sample: http://forums.klipsch.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=Khorns+pipe+seal&o=Relevance