1989 Klipsch Floor Standing Speakers

CarlB

get a hold of forum member tromprof, he's using a pioneer SC-1222-K with his k-horns and loves it. $1100 receiver but you can catch them on sale at newegg for $549 i'm using one with my cornwalls

I saw this receiver in Costco for 469.00.....smoking deal!

Others may disagree, but I find the Klipschorn is a relatively easy impedance load for amplifiers, such that amps sound the same to me on them. Apart from fancier room EQ features, most receivers within a given lineup get way more expensive based on output power. You don't need much, so forget this number and get the features you need. I use an inexpensive harman-kardon AVR-254 that I got refurbished for $250; still a receiver rated for 4-ohm loads. It sounds the same to me whether I use it alone or with an external amp. Since you won't be driving 7 speakers, you won't need an external amp to take the load off.

get a hold of forum member tromprof, he's using a pioneer SC-1222-K with his k-horns and loves it. $1100 receiver but you can catch them on sale at newegg for $549 i'm using one with my cornwalls

Thanks, I sent him a message asking about it.

Have you ever listened to an older stereo receiver? I was really dissapointed with the sound quality with modern AV receivers after listening with my grandfathers pioner sx-980. How does that modern pioneer compare?

Well, found this HK 3490, fairly inexpensive in terms of home audio. Too bad I'd have to take it home to find out if I hate it.

Harman Kardon 3490 120 Watt-Receiver

Message about SC-1222-K received and replied to (Still like it a lot[:D] ). I have an HK-3390 that I have used on my La Scalas and am currently using on a pair of Fortes. Great bang for the buck receiver and so far no issues after a few years of ownership. I would think the HK-3490 would sound similar.

Have you ever listened to an older stereo receiver? I was really dissapointed with the sound quality with modern AV receivers after listening with my grandfathers pioner sx-980.

Did you keep the sx-980 or get rid of it? It may have been able to been repaired. A lot of those are excellent, but just don't have the modern features folks want. I use an old and rather smallish H/K 430 two channel receiver powering a pair of Heresy speakers for my tv listening. The audio quality is great.

Bruce

Have you ever listened to an older stereo receiver? I was really dissapointed with the sound quality with modern AV receivers after listening with my grandfathers pioner sx-980.

Did you keep the sx-980 or get rid of it? It may have been able to been repaired. A lot of those are excellent, but just don't have the modern features folks want. I use an old and rather smallish H/K 430 two channel receiver powering a pair of Heresy speakers for my tv listening. The audio quality is great.

Bruce

I still have it, but not having a remote and digital inputs makes it pretty inconvenient. I briefly kicked the idea around of a normal AV receiver for video/tv, then connecting the SX-980 when I want to listen to music. I'd rather get something modern if it can have good sound quality. My Denon AVR-1912 sounds really "flat" compared to the Pioneer, but from the replies the HK 3490 and newer Pioneers are good sound wise.

I'll probably get the modern pioneer like SC-71, SC-1222-K or SC-1223-K if I can find one of those deals that were mentioned on the thread. Otherwise the frugal side of me will try the HK 3490. Thanks for all the recommendations guys!

i've heard alot of pioneer receiver as the newer harmon kardons and while they have a better sound for music compared to denon and onkyo, as an owner of the pioneer sx-980 i can assure you that none of their models are gonna sound as good as it does. if you are just looking for a remote and some digital inputs might i recommend a DAC like the emotiva xda-1? i just bought one for my bedroom to hook up with my mini x and to be able to control the volume from bed and have a few more inputs. it sounds fantastic and works for exactly what i needed. i will be on the lookout for another one soon when i get some extra cash for my pioneer and cornwall setup

i've heard alot of pioneer receiver as the newer harmon kardons and while they have a better sound for music compared to denon and onkyo, as an owner of the pioneer sx-980 i can assure you that none of their models are gonna sound as good as it does. if you are just looking for a remote and some digital inputs might i recommend a DAC like the emotiva xda-1? i just bought one for my bedroom to hook up with my mini x and to be able to control the volume from bed and have a few more inputs. it sounds fantastic and works for exactly what i needed. i will be on the lookout for another one soon when i get some extra cash for my pioneer and cornwall setup

That idea is a bit new to me. So the DAC would control volume and trigger the SX-980 to turn on? You just leave one volume setting on the SX-980?

That idea is a bit new to me. So the DAC would control volume and trigger the SX-980 to turn on? You just leave one volume setting on the SX-980?
the dac wouldn't trigger anything but it has its own remote. So you could turn the pioneer say half way up, or a bit less, then control the volume via remote through the xda-1. I do it and it works perfect.

• 2 months later...

Well, I think I have decided to go with a stereo setup. Surround doesn't really interest me. My plan is to use the TV for HDMI switching.

-1 optical cable from the TV to (preamp, receiver, etc)

-Other sources can be connected to the preamp/receiver.

I am debating these two setups at the moment, but would love to hear some other ideas on a preamp, amp combo with remote, optical in, etc. I've heard some people complain about hissing noise when running class d and sensitive speakers. The hybrid tube system and DAC attracts me to the peachtree.

NovaPre + Peachtree220 http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/novapre-peachtree220.html

Nova125 http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/nova125-amplifier-with-dac.html

• 3 weeks later...

I went with the Nova 125 after talking to Jonathan Derda at Peachtree. He mentioned that the 220 would have too much gain for these sensitive speakers. These are so sensitive that he said the Nova 125 may have too much gain and I would hear this hissing/humming. To address this they offered to have the techs modify the gain on the amp to better match the Khorns. The unit should arrive this Wednesday, so hopefully it solves my AVR woes.