Klipsch, Def Tech, Paradigm or Sunfire?

billvh

I'm replacing a Audiosource 15" sub, due to size limits. Max i can use is 17 x17 cube, I have a Polk DSW MicroPro 4000 now, which is a 12" 1200 watt sealed w/ passsive radiator. I'm not that impressed with it for music, movies it rumbles low! I miss the low fill in normal volume listening I had with the old 15". I'm thinking of used Klipsch KSW 15, Def Tech PF15, in 15"; Sunfire SDC12, Paradigm PDR-12 in 12". Will any of these perform better than the Polk? Is the low volume bass output lower due to the sealed box, or woofer size?

Thanks in advance for the help!

you mean the Sunfire SDS12 I assume

anyway I was in your similar situation not long ago. I had to replace my SVS PB12NSD with something smaller but I wanted more lower volume "sound" I guess. The SVS would go crazy when playing loud but it was kind of weak when listening at low volumes.

it looks like your price range is pretty wide from the Def Tech to the older Paradigm...so you are saying your Polk doesnt sound very good at low volumes? I really find that hard to imagine with the power it has and considering it has a 12inch woofer. Have you tried to adjust the settings on the sub and your receiver?

In general the low volume bass output will be improved with a vented box and larger woofer. Simply because they are more efficient. But with all of the different designs out there you can really have any sound you want with any design almost.

I ended up with the Sunfire HRS12 and I am 100% happy. It sounds great and ALL volumes. It has more clean bass when listening quietly than the SVS but will open up and pound when I want too and all from a 13.5 inch cube...I bring new people in, make them close their eyes and turn on some tunes or a movie opening. Then they look for the huge sub and see that little guy sitting in the corner.

I also tried the Sunfire SDS12 at the same time. It is a much cheaper sub and honestly feels and sounds like it. It produces a ton of bass in the 40hz range but doesnt sound half as good overall as the sealed HRS line.

a long time ago I had a Paradigm PDR10 and it was a great sub for the price. If you can find the 12 I think you will be happy and probably not have to spend much at all. They are a ported design and have quite a bit of low rumble. But it doesnt have near the power as your Polk

so if I were you I would stick with a higher power output sub maybe the Def Tech or Sunfire HRS12 to compare to your Polk

yes I know kind of odd

all I can figure is it needed a bit more power to fill up the room at lower volumes. so maybe it was undersized/powered for our room just a bit. but it is hard to say that because like I said it would play as loud as I could want and never stress.

the sunfire with the 1000watt amp has a lot more "punch" at low volumes and will play very loud/low if needed. for what we use the room for that is the best thing for us

I haven't had time to really set it up properly, just switched my mains from large and small on reciever. I did do a lot of a-b
comparisons with the Polk on top of the old Audiosource, liked the
bigger sub at lower volumes. I don't usually have it cranked when I
listen to music. I may try using the line in, instead of LFE in and see
if that helps. There is a Sunfire Signature 12 on ebay now for 300+100
shipping, but it has been dropped or something, chipped and cracked
cabinet. Don't know if I want to take a chance. I can get a PDR12v3
locally for 300 or less. The SDS12 is about 550 new. The Klipsch and Definitive are the only 15's
that are small enough to fit, but they are older. Now I saw a Monster THX200 12" for 329. Decisions, decisions!

that may have something to do with it - I used to have the KLF20s and they are large and can play down to 35hz but the bass in the room sounded the best if they were set to small. Their bass would interfere with the sub bass.

most of the subs you are looking at will be a downgrade from your current Polk. You should be able to look at the settings of your system and make it work.

I would be carefull if you looking at an old Sunfire sub. While some can be great, there were problems with some of the older models. I 100% would not get one that looked dropped. These things are built to such tight tolerances that a drop can be real bad.

If I could get the PDR12 for $300 or less I would buy that no matter if I used it now or not! That is a great low to mid level sub and at that price you cant go wrong. But then again it is not in the same class as your Polk. The SDS12 will outperform that Paradigm but once again I dont think it will keep up with your Polk.

so on your list I would still only consider the DT or maybe the Klipsch just because you are used to the sound of your older 15 inch sub. out of those 2 I would get the DT unless there was a huge price difference.

If you can spend around $900 - $1000+ - check out the Sunfire HRS12. I would be interested to hear how it was compared to your Polk. similar idea with a small box and very powerfull amp but the Sunfire is sealed vs using a passive radiator like the Polk.

I finally had time to set the Polk up, used the room EQ feature, adjusted the crossovers on my reciever, sounds much better. Still thinking about replacing it though. Theres an SVS tube sub for sale locally, would it be comparable or better than my Polk? I could easily get my money back out of it, I bought it not working, and had to replace the driver. Can't see how that could blow, as beefy as it is, but it did. Maybe I,m expecting too much out of a small box.

what SVS tube model?

most likely the SVS will keep up at least with the Polk and should have more output in the very low bass area - below 30hz.

why not try it out? just be ready to adjust to the visual difference. the tubes are BIG but they make great bass if you have room for it

Probably the PC12+, since it's newer. The tube will be in a corner behind a TV stand and TV, that's where the Polk is. It's a shame to hide it,its so pretty! If the SVS would have to be in the open, I might have to reconsider. I've been listening to the Polk, it grows on you.