Fine Food and Music

Boxx

Great banter guys !! And congrats on the workouts and diet changes too ! So glad its all working out for you and the lady [:)] With you and Boxx, I agree, live to EAT and enjoy life... Too many I know find dinner time a WASTE of time!! They are also of VERY simple - narrow tastes in food and would NEVER try some of the slightly adventuresome dishes we would eat on a regular basis!

Most everyone here now know that both Chris and I are vegetarian, but we DO 'sea' meat of all kinds... But, hats off to your marinades and smoking your meats [;)] As long is it makes you happy and its done in moderation, then your all set.

StewMan, good for you too! Keep that weight in check............a GOOD thing.

No picture tonight, but Chris and I enjoyed a bit of Whole Foods once again, stuffed mushrooms and white corn as a side, with cumin, fresh rosemary and a bit of cyann and XVOO - sea salt... Of course, my BOX O WINE was handy this evening, have another glass going at this late hour.

More to come [Y]

.......Gary

• Moderators

Whatever makes you happy is the way to go. [Y]

I kind of tried vegetarian for about 6 months, kind of accidentally.

It was many years ago, someone gave us a Wok as a present. I kind of went crazy buying Japanese and Chinese cookbooks. We cooked nothing else and it almost never included meat, not by choice but we were enjoying all the new taste and It did not matter, it was very good.

Elden,

Throw away all your dishes and utinsels...it worked for me. I'm holding at 175 now.

Steve

I too have made drastic changes to the way I eat lately. I cut out red meats for the most part, cut way down on high calorie and fattie foods, reduced my sugar and sodium intake a great deal, eat more fruits & vegetables and high fiber foods (per doctor's orders)...

I'm supposed to weigh around 170 for my height and build. I was up to 196 last fall, and I had gotten down to 187 as of a few weeks ago. When I got the Harley and with spring on the way, I decided to kick it up a notch. I'm now down to 177, and with about 7 lbs to go I'm feeling better than I have in years. This diet, along with quitting smoking 15 months ago has done wonders for my overall health.

Plus, I downloaded and printed out some excersises to help with my back issues. I've been doing them daily for a few weeks now and my back also feels better than it has in probably 5 years... [:)]

I am blessed by genetics with a metabolism and taste that really makes my food life a matter of choice. Even as a child I ate few sweets, prefering another bit of roast beef or cabbage stewed with ham for "dessert." Not that I did not nor do not appreciate pecan pie or a really sinful brownie with walnuts and massive glass of whole milk!

Given my perfect BMI and such I suppose it could be suggested I've nothing useful to say about diet and weight control, but I've certainly observed the trials of those whose bodies don't seem to be able to handle the food they eat. and have come to a few opinions based on such science as I understand as well as observation.

First, I don't believe it's about eating fat. Common sense, as well as science, suggests that breaking down a given material and then making the same material from it is the least efficient possible way to produce it. On the other hand, making fat from simple carbs is easy. The majority of long term success I've seen from those dieting has been those who reduce carbs drastically, but otherwise eat as they see fit both in type and quantity. No matter how big it is a steak isn't going to make you fat! Diet ice cream WILL make you fat, while full cream ice cream MUCH less so as pure cream is a low carb food. I've a bit of experience with that as a type 1 diabetic. On occassions when I approach insulin shock I find Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla my best friend. The insulin shock makes one ravenous and candy or the like is easy to way overdose on and wind up in the opposite end with a blood sugar of 350 or so. OTOH, I can eat my fill right out of the bucket until I am a happy camper as pure cream ice cream is immensely satisfying as well as "relatively" low carb.

As to red meat, I've my doubts about the science that condemns it. We thrived and survived on it for a million years or so before we had a side salad and one would expect us to be pretty well tuned to it.

Granted, all things in moderation in all my statements.

One other thing: If one really wants to eat anything, anytime, get a job moving furniture or digging ditches. Another thing I observed after my late, sudden onset, type 1 diabetes is how I have to adjust my insulin down if I am performing physical labors...as much as by half what it might otherwise require to neutralize unrequired carbs. Too bad there isn't an easy way for non-diabetics to directly measure carb usage as it would really provide some postive feedback.

Dave

Thanks for the contribution friends (in words) ..

Rick, sounds like you are doing well with diet change, Dave has his health in order too!

To compliment these improvements to your well being, how 'bout a photo of whats now on your tables?, hopefully something you all put together yourselves rather then something processed .. I know I cheat a little with photos of the Whole Foods offerings.

I try to compliment those with something I have composed, be it a small side dish, or salad...(and we can't forget a bit of nosh to start things off)

Come on, give it a try [Y]

.Gary

I know I cheat a little with photos of the Whole Foods offerings.

I try to compliment those with something I have composed, be it a small side dish, or salad...(and we can't forget a bit of nosh to start things off)

Come on, give it a try Yes

.Gary

Gary, One never cheats with food from "Whole Foods." You are only fudging alittle.....

Boxx, I suppose you are right..............things from WF are usually EXCELLENT and we don't mind paying the bit of extra expense to enjoy their cooking [;)]

They also have a very nice VINO section. We actually have been stocking up on the Bogel Petite Sarah PORT ! They make it in limited amounts and its usually ready for sale during the Christmas holiday... The other Bogel during the winter season is 'Phantom' ! We have a little over half a case now, which was bought bottle by bottle as I find it. I remember last year buying up the last of a few bottles left at one of the liquor stores I frequent. Then, Chris will stumble on it and grab a couple more. Just a couple weeks ago, he brought home two more at a GREAT price. It usually runs $21.99 Sold during the off season, he found it for $16.99 !

OK, thats my wine story for the day [:D]

.........Gary

Boxx, I suppose you are right..............things from WF are usually EXCELLENT and we don't mind paying the bit of extra expense to enjoy their cooking Wink

They also have a very nice VINO section. We actually have been stocking up on the Bogel Petite Sarah PORT ! They make it in limited amounts and its usually ready for sale during the Christmas holiday... The other Bogel during the winter season is 'Phantom' ! We have a little over half a case now, which was bought bottle by bottle as I find it. I remember last year buying up the last of a few bottles left at one of the liquor stores I frequent. Then, Chris will stumble on it and grab a couple more. Just a couple weeks ago, he brought home two more at a GREAT price. It usually runs $21.99 Sold during the off season, he found it for $16.99 !

OK, thats my wine story for the day Big Smile

.........Gary

Hey Gary.. As I am fading out for the night.... Bogel is an excellent wine. The Sarah Port is really nice and like you said, limited in sale.

I'm ready for the weekend and some relaxation.... more later... Boxx...

• Moderators

Come on, give it a try Yes

If If I run across something I will. We have gone to plain vegetables (except for seasoning), hardly worth a pic, but good.

I have never been to Whole Foods [:o], I just checked the store locater, the closest is 77.4 miles from us, maby one day ?

While this is all simmering, I took the time to open our brand new case just delivered from our wine club ! Boxx, you know its a happy day when a new one arrives. Next, I will show a photo of our choice for THIS simple Italian dish...

What wine club do you belong to?

Thanks so much J4 for sharing !! Its good to see another cook's dish [Y]

We belong to Laithwaites club, and so far after a year, they have been showing us some excellent wines (we go for the reds)...

Boxx has seen our selection right from the case in photos, as he has shown his also.......a different club. My boss is a member of Zagot ...

Ok on the trip to Whole Foods, yeah, thats a bit of travel for you... If you were in the mood for a drive, then I would say go for it [Y]

NEWS: Photos from last night's dinner and this morning's French Omelet breakfast will be posted TOMORROW sometime, so keep and eye here for that..

.......Gary

While this is nothing fancy (though it was delicious), here's what I just ate:

Tuna Sandwich on toast (Stroehman's Double Fiber 100% Whole Wheat Bread). I haven't given up my beloved Hellman's mayo just yet, but I will switch to light next week when it is time to purchase more. This is going to be hard to quit, I love Hellman's...

A serving of Dole Tropical Fruit in light syrup & passion fruit juice. This is so good, I eat this almost everyday!!

Water

Tuna Sandwich on toast (Stroehman's Double Fiber 100% Whole Wheat Bread). I haven't given up my beloved Hellman's mayo just yet, but I will switch to light next week when it is time to purchase more. This is going to be hard to quit, I love Hellman's...

A serving of Dole Tropical Fruit in light syrup & passion fruit juice. This is so good, I eat this almost everyday!!

Water

Rick... This looks pretty good, as I look around the kitchen to see that I have not prepared for this morning.

Water

Relace water with vodka and loose the Tuna and I am in

Thanks Ace.

Now, some nice photos of this dinner AND the deck would be cool.... I have a whole set from last years deck dinners and breakfasts... This year, I MUST invest in a pair of outdoor speakers... (cheap boombox has been sounding a bit thin over the past few years!)

J4, thanks for yours too! How did it come out in the end? Photos of a place setting ?

Thanks Rick for your entry, simple as it is, its good to see a presentation of what I would call a good lunch.

OK, my photos are organized from the dinner that was put together Friday evening..............stand by.....

.......Gary