Fine Food and Music

Boxx

I just made the best broccoli, cheddar and pimiento soup ever, so I have to share this recipe.

Ingredients:

Yields about 8 cups.

1 head of broccoli, chopped into roughly 1" pieces

4 oz shredded cheddar cheese

1 4 oz jar pimientos

2 cups 2% milk

3/4 stick of real butter

4 cups broth (I use bullion cubes and mix in boiling water)

4 tbsp all purpose flour

1/2 a large yellow onion, chopped finely but not too small (not minced)

1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped finely (keep the seeds for a little kick)

2 sticks of celery, chopped finely

1/3 green bell pepper, chopped coarsely into roughly 3/4 - 1" squares

1/3 red bell pepper, chopped coarsely

salt

black pepper

Directions:

In a soup pan, melt 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) of butter.  Once melted, stir in the flour, and as it warms up, it should become a nice, creamy mixture.  As soon as it begins to bubble (boil), remove from heat and set aside.  

In a skillet, add onion, bell pepper, celery, jalapeno and 2 tbsp (1/4 stick) of butter.  Sautee over medium heat until the onions start to brown.  The vegetables should be nice and soft when ready.  Do not over cook them.  Set aside.

In a sauce pan, add bullion cubes to 4 cups of water.  Bring to a boil and stir to be sure cubes are fully dissolved.  

In a blender, add the bullion and the 4 oz of pimientos.  Pulse briefly about 6 or 7 times until the pimientos are chopped up and mixed well into the broth.

Warm up the flour/butter mixture until it starts to bubble again.  Then, add the milk.  Bring to the beginning of a boil.  Then, add the broth/pimientos.  At the same time, add the sauteed vegetables and broccoli (the broccoli is still raw at this point and will soften within a few minutes after adding to the broth.)  The mixture should be very warm, but it should not be boiling.  After the broccoli begins to soften, add the 4 oz. of shredded cheddar cheese slowly and melt it into the soup.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Here is a picture:

58ffdb1a430a8_WP_20170424_15_07_36_Pro1.thumb.jpg.63686a8cdffa3c2913e05a1272531c45.jpg

Reference:

See this video of a pimiento soup recipe for a visual.  I basically watched the video and modified the recipe.  This reference video shows a thicker soup, like a chowder.  I added a greater broth/milk ratio to thin it down and make it more like a bisque.  I think it is much better this way.

Enjoy!

• Like 3

Okay.  I am not a baker but I learned two things making this pie.  One.....you can roll the rolls out in both directions and they get even thinner ( did not do this on the bottom level but learned before the top level) and two.....too much cinnamon gives off some heat:mellow:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing the Atkin's diet for a few days and got the craving for something sweet.  In the past I have made do with sugar free jello with whipped cream.  Decided to do a twist on the Atkin's cheese cake.  Melted unsweetened chocolate bars over a double boiler and added some Stevia.  Mixed the chocolate with 3 eight ounce packages of cream cheese and 6 eggs.  Threw in some cacao powder  and Acai powder.  Still cooling......

IMG_2008.JPG

• Like 1