Fine Food and Music

Boxx

For anyone who is interested in cooking good stir-fry or fried rice at home.

For a while, I've been seeking the taste of "restaurant" stir-fry.  There's something about that seared, woody, aromatic flavor that has been elusive to me.  I think I have it figured out.

They call the seared flavor "wok hei," which roughly translates to "breath of the wok."  I read articles, like this one, which describe what it is and how to achieve it.  In a nutshell, you cook under high heat.  The heat is so high, the cooking oil burns.  A fair amount of smoke is produced.  As the article says, if the smoke is white, it's good.  If it's yellow, something is burning.  We want seared food, not burnt or charred.

Step 1.  I had to go to Wally World and get a new wok.  My current wok is a non-stick wok.  You can't cook under high temperatures with non-stick materials.  So, I bought a 14" carbon steel wok for $17.

I cook on an electric stove.  Usually, I have the dial around 5 1/2.  That's hot enough to cook a stir-fry, but low enough not to burn the oil.  I always figured burning oil was bad.  I am learning I was wrong.

I watched several videos of restaurant chefs cooking in woks.  What do they have?  A freaking jet engine for a gas stove.  I can't match that.  However, I can turn up the heat.  The first try, I had it around 8.  Wasn't too good.  It was a first try.  I got a little scared about all that food sticking to the pan.  What a mess! 

In fact, while watching the pros, I see that's exactly the way it's supposed to be.  It should sizzle and smoke a lot.  If you notice from the videos, they are stirring the food to fluff it out and let the smoke permeate it.  You get crap stuck on the pan, and it will not come off.  But that's okay.  You don't want it to come off.  That is what it takes to have a properly seasoned wok.  That charred mess heats back up and creates seared flavors as it burns.  You never are supposed to scour or scrape that seasoned "patina" off the wok.

The time investment is in chopping everything and getting it ready.  Note:  It's not a good stir-fry without minced garlic and minced ginger root (in equal proportions).  Once you start throwing things into a hot wok, you have 3 - 5 minutes of fast cooking.  Watch the smoke and listen to it sizzle.  I bought a cheap condiment bottle to squirt out cooking oil around the edge of the wok to add oil as needed.  I saw a number of chefs doing that in the video.  If the oil burns off too much, you need to add a little more.  It is suggested to add it on the sides so that it goes down to the bottom and heats up and burns, rather than put it on the food and not make contact with the hot surface.

My 3rd try today was quite good!  I cooked it with the dial all the way up to just a nudge below "Hi."  9 1/2.  Cooking now is more like this video.

Check it out.  Watch how the chef fluffs the food to allow the smoke to permeate all through it.

• Like 2

The craziest feature is the cook top itself is water filled. Three jet burners centered within a water fills trough. Looks easier to clean and probably keeps the surrounding temperature lower than stainless would. Neat idea -  

What time is dinner served?

• Haha 1

This is my 3rd attempt at pepper steak and onions.  I used Basmati rice because it's a good, occasional switch from Jasmine.  Jasmine is an aromatic version of long grain white rice.  It's slightly sticky.  Basmati is an even longer grain - the longest in the world.  It is grown in the foothills of the Himalayas.  It is a drier, firmer grain that is not very sticky at all.

IMG_20171011_173626.thumb.jpg.794bc2f6427294f327dc5d09ad9714b8.jpg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

That looks scrumptious...and healthy.

Yes, I was quite proud of it.  Yum!  Yum!  Finally.  Hours later, the house still smells great!

Now, I have to practice with other things, like broccoli, carrots and green beans.   These are harder vegetables, and you have to put them in before softer ones, like onion, bell pepper, squash and jalapenos.  The 2nd to last is mushrooms.  And the last is green onions right as you are removing the heat.   Timing is everything.  I got the process down at 5 1/2.  Now, at 9 1/2, I have to re-adjust.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Yes, I was quite proud of it.  Yum!  Yum!  Finally.  Hours later, the house still smells great!

Now, I have to practice with other things, like broccoli, carrots and green beans.   These are harder vegetables, and you have to put them in before softer ones, like onion, bell pepper, squash and jalapenos.  The 2nd to last is mushrooms.  And the last is green onions right as you are removing the heat.   Timing is everything.  I got the process down at 5 1/2.  Now, at 9 1/2, I have to re-adjust.

It's refreshing that you take pride in your cooking.

Hello my fellow foodies!  Jeff, I watched your progress along with that video link, VERY interesting, especially those fire jets !!  GLAD to see another person experimenting and trying to re-create a particular cuisine for himself, congrats ! :emotion-21:

Well, I sent these from moments ago to Mike, and I decided they should be posted here as well..

Tonight, I decided on yet another scratch pizza...........   I am a big fan of Lodge cast iron products.   The 15" pizza pan was engaged this evening.. :smile:

Ingredients for this 'white' pizza were julienne sundried tomatoes and fresh eggplant from the market.   Lots of chopped garlic, xvoo, cracked black pepper and course ground sea salt and little mozzarella cheese ..  

In the convection oven (nat. gas) set at 475 degrees, I don't set a time, I just keep an eye on it, and take it out when it looks right...

Here it is just as I put it in the oven (cheese already melting)IMG_0125.jpg

OUT of the oven, ready for cutting.....IMG_0127.jpg

Here, I have sliced it up using a 10" chef's knife....IMG_0128.jpg

My place setting.............oh, and simply topped with fresh broad leaf parsely.....IMG_0131.jpg

Finally a crappy closeup photo...............it was really pretty tasty....  two slices were all we each needed.  Two more each for lunch tomorrow :D     Thanks for viewing...............more to come....  :emotion-21:    So, stay inspired, cook something up fresh and post often!IMG_0130.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tigerman said:

Hello my fellow foodies!  Jeff, I watched your progress along with that video link, VERY interesting, especially those fire jets !!  GLAD to see another person experimenting and trying to re-create a particular cuisine for himself, congrats ! :emotion-21:

Well, I sent these from moments ago to Mike, and I decided they should be posted here as well..

Tonight, I decided on yet another scratch pizza...........   I am a big fan of Lodge cast iron products.   The 15" pizza pan was engaged this evening.. :smile:

Ingredients for this 'white' pizza were julienne sundried tomatoes and fresh eggplant from the market.   Lots of chopped garlic, xvoo, cracked black pepper and course ground sea salt and little mozzarella cheese ..  

In the convection oven (nat. gas) set at 475 degrees, I don't set a time, I just keep an eye on it, and take it out when it looks right...

Here it is just as I put it in the oven (cheese already melting)IMG_0125.jpg

OUT of the oven, ready for cutting.....IMG_0127.jpg

Here, I have sliced it up using a 10" chef's knife....IMG_0128.jpg

My place setting.............oh, and simply topped with fresh broad leaf parsely.....IMG_0131.jpg

Finally a crappy closeup photo...............it was really pretty tasty....  two slices were all we each needed.  Two more each for lunch tomorrow :D     Thanks for viewing...............more to come....  :emotion-21:    So, stay inspired, cook something up fresh and post often!IMG_0130.jpg

tomorrow I might do a easy chicken

parm... or maybe eggplant parm..

just picked up 5# mozz....3liters.ovoo , 12# case frozen cavatelli ,12# ravioli , a container of seasoned bread crumbs

all for $70...

now this is a little mozz

IMG_20171019_205459_hdr.jpg

• Like 1

practice what I preach ....

eggplant parm  sandwiches for

dinner..

IMG_20171020_155927_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171020_160058_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171020_160534_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171020_161217_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171020_161227_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171020_161420_hdr.jpg

having a mad session right now !

the razor comb is from my mandolin...and I used my pairing knife...but you can use a peeler..

thanks for the inspiration....

more later...I'm not going to fry

the eggplant Naples ( long cut )...

breadcrumbs and baked in oven..

for no mess...I hate frying at home..

lightly lube sheet pan with evoo.

eggplant  breaded with evoo drizzle

dirtmudd

there's my pizza stone....

this is in real time 

as it's happening....

I forgot that with baking the eggplant..

there's no need to press the water

our of it...like nonna would do in the

sink with the strainer...with a pan

and a bunch of books...

IMG_20171020_163807_hdr.jpg

time to flip it over..done in 2

IMG_20171020_165940_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171020_170020_hdr.jpg

dirtmudd

IMG_20171020_170524_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171020_170619_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171020_170817_hdr.jpg

dirtmudd

IMG_20171020_170922_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171020_170955_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171020_171013_hdr.jpg 

dirtmudd

that's it !!!

IMG_20171020_172030_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171020_171909_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171020_171951_hdr.jpg

• Like 2

Thank YOU Mike for your dinner tonight.................looks so GOOD, and I will give that a try Sunday evening, pictures to follow and your can give me your critique ;)..

TONIGHT, following Mike's suggestion about wasting NO food..........   I decided to take him up on that...   I had scratch leftover mashed potatoes...............so, with the idea of vegetarian Italian sausages, I would make potato pancakes out on the grill/side burner...

Here is the beginning of the 'mess'..............King Arthur flower on the cutting board............here we go!IMG_0138.jpg

• Like 1

Finished cakes in the saute pan with peanut oil....  Fresh ground black pepper and course sea salt...

IMG_0139.jpg

Nothing like Nat Gas outdoors!  Love this OLD grill  (Vermont Castings)IMG_0141.jpg

One of TWO LED narrow spots on the cooking surface...IMG_0143.jpg

Over exposed photo of the cakes just starting out.......IMG_0145.jpg