Fine Food and Music

Boxx

1 minute ago, richieb said:

=== I do believe you have answered your own question - ? The ice cold Modelo must be considered the icing on the cake - 🍻

good thing i love junk food ... a bachelor that doesn’t cook is at a disadvantage. @dtel used to tease me because before my brother moved in, the only kitchen utinsel that i owned was a fork. 

sometimes i get tired of hitting all the restaurants and grabbing takeout, so i grab these large frozen burritos and nuke ‘em.  takes me back to my youth (aged 18 or 19), my meals for an entire summer were predominantly food from 7-11.  Weird thinking back, it certainly wasn’t from a lack of bread, i was doing pretty good for a guy my age -- it was just so convenient to walk into 7-11 and throw something in the microwave. Except for the late, late nights when we’d hit the local Jack in the Box and we’d each get two of the Jumbo Back combos.  I tell you, youth is wasted on the young ... those were some fun times!

• Moderators
On 8/12/2018 at 7:20 PM, dirtmudd said:

Your Zucchini remind me of a recipe I keep forgetting about......... I keep trying to make these fried zucchini strips/chips....

Never tried Zucchini like that, but many times similar with Eggplant or Merlotons. Dipped in egg then covered with a good Italian bread crumbs and fried, I could eat just that alone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

You are refined if the chili was the kind without beans...

i ain’t a Texan ... it had beans ... I LOVE beans.  If i could only eat one food item for the rest of my life, it would be beans. I like it so that’s refined ... to me. I’d say that i dress up fancy when i eat; but, that would be a big fat lie.  I only own blue jean levis. 99% of the time it’s a t-shirt and sneakers. That’s just me ... a refined guy ... good taste in clothes and food. It’s a great responsibly actually. 

Go Raiders.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

good thing i love junk food ... a bachelor that doesn’t cook is at a disadvantage. @dtel used to tease me because before my brother moved in, the only kitchen utinsel that i owned was a fork. 

I did, and you said A fork which made it sound worse. But it would be easy to wash all one of them, you could only use one at a time anyway. 

Might have been head of your time, :emotion-55: maby one spare if it broke or got lost to keep you from using your fingers.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, dtel said:

That's just kissing up right there. 

nah ... we’re both part of Raider Nation from way back in the day.  I was born in the shadow of that coliseum. I’ve only been a Raider and a Laker. Switched baseball from the A’s to the Giants about 30 years ago.  I’ll do my kissing up in the hot sauce thread.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

What happened to all you Chef Boyardee wannabes?  Revive this thread.  Some of you must be in the holiday cooking routine.  Let's see the good stuff. 

You all know that I'm a horrible cook and the fire department chips in money to keep me out of the kitchen.

But, there's nothing finer than the doggie diner.  (anyone that lived in the Oakland/San Francisco Bay Area during the 70s and before will know this place). @dwilawyer @garyrc

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 10.48.00 PM 2.png

• Like 1

Doggie Diner is an emotional memory for me. There are undoubtedly better burgers and dogs out there; but one of their locations was right next to the post office that my real pops worked at. These doggie heads were HUGE and there is at least two left that I know about. One in San Francisco and I think the other is in Hayward. 

Dachshund owners be proud ... your dogs can cook!

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 9:42 PM, BigStewMan said:

But, there's nothing finer than the doggie diner.  (anyone that lived in the Oakland/San Francisco Bay Area during the 70s and before will know this place). @dwilawyer @garyrc

On 12/17/2020 at 9:46 PM, dwilawyer said:

Of course, lived there.

Me, too ... many happy hours. 

In the 1960s, students, who could only work part time, and at near minimum wage, could afford to grab a snack at many fast food outlets.  McDonalds had the worst food.  Quick-way was better, as was Doggie Diner, Taco Bell, and 4 blocks down the hill from my place, Hambricks 1/4 Pound Hamburgars -- A cheeseburgar for 70 cents.  I used to walk there at 2 or 3 AM -- no concern about crime at night.  One night I was very sick with the stomach flu, but walked to the Cine 7 to see the last night of Ingmar Bergman's Through a Glass Darkly.  I stopped by 1/4 Pound on my way home, and wolfed one down.  Two blocks later, a friend who knew I was going to see  that film, came out and said, "How was it?"  I vomited all over his lawn.  "Worst review ever," said he.  

Friends from the Oakland neighborhood and I would take the bus to UC Berkeley for many events, including Albert Johnson's class on film musicals.  He ran every clip imaginable, and we got out at about 2 AM.  The last bus left at 1:05 AM.  Imagine my friend's father driving out -- in his pajamas -- to pick us up. 

Normally, our bus transfer point was Mayfair Market at MacArthur (pronounced "MuhGarthur" by the kids) and Broadway.  Malls were becoming centers of discourse, and all-channel nets, like the agoras they were, There were so many fascinating things inside, that buses could be missed.   In the late '60s there was a record store in Mayfair run by "Eidetic" Gene, who knew obscure records you might want  by number.   There  were huge posters of John Lennon and Yoko Ono, nude, full frontal, and the of the burning Bank of America in Santa Barbara (Isla Vista), also full frontal.  Earlier on, the malls were swarming with Irregulars,, if you were there at the right time.  At both Mayfair and Rockridge, we had the preacher lady who would point at people, or wheel on them, following their passage past her, perfectly panning, with that finger aimed between their eyes.  She would yell "Bull Shittim," and then declare, "You don't know what Shittim is!  When she tried that on me, I said, "Isn't it a place in the Bible?"' She leaned toward me and whispered the secret truth in my ear, "A tree, too ... "   Several Irregulars were to be seen all over the Bay Area.  Long before jogging became popular, there was the individual we called "The Walker."  There was no mistaking her.  She had a distinctive, longish face, pale, despite what looked like sun damage, and walked looking straight ahead, or slightly skyward, and  never seemed to see anyone else, or her surroundings.  She walked at a steady pace through the Berkeley campus, South Shore Center in Alameda, Mayfair, everywhere.  I once saw someone walking determinedly up Carson St. above Tompkins.  Carson is one of the steepest hills in Oakland.  Naturally, it was The Walker.  The first Trans I ever knowingly met (1960s), Carol, frequented Mayfair, and a good number of other places.  She was arrested from time to time, but was friendly with and vouched for by, the local merchants and security guards.

The Mayfair mall's Theater 70 actually had Cerwin Vega's 220px-Sensurround_logo.png for Midway (1974 version) as did the Rockridge Center theater for Earthquake, shaking up nearby shoppers in the earthquake prone Bay Area. 

The food center at Mayfair rolled up its interior sidewalks at about 10 at night, but it had a tasty variety before that, seasoned with the occasional fly, and, you could buy mercury defiled swordfish at the meat counter.  For good food after hours, you had to go to Doggie Diner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1