Fine Food and Music

Boxx

My sweet and sour pork. Yum!

Have you ever thought that good sweet and sour pork is sublime?  Have you found yourself disappointed at the fact that finding a restaurant that serves good quality sweet and sour pork is kind of "hit and miss?"

Never again!  This is made with great pork!

Pictured is 1 serving.  Ingredients and instructions follow below picture.

post-17244-0-93820000-1427936717_thumb.j

You need a deep fryer for this.  For 1 serving as shown:

1/4 pound Pork tenderloin

All-purpose white flour

1 egg

1 small can of pineapple chunks in heavy syrup  (you will have a lot left over if making 1 or 2 servings, so store it or throw it out)

white vinegar

granulated cane sugar

ketchup

corn starch

2/3 cup white rice

1/2 tablespoon butter

salt

black pepper

green bell pepper

onion

Directions:

1.  Put rice in rice cooker or pan and add appropriate amount of water.  In my small rice cooker, I use just under 1 cup of water.  Melt butter in the water, and add copious salt and pepper to the water.  Stir it all in.  Allow rice to cook.  My rice cooker shuts off automatically.

2.  In a sauce pan (appropriate in size for number of servings you are making), add:

3 tablespoons white vinegar

5 tablespoons pineapple syrup

a handful of pineapple chunks

5 tablespoons ketchup

5 or 6 bite-sized chunks of green bell pepper

an equal amount of onion chunks/pieces

1 1/4 tablespoons of sugar

3.  Put the pan on medium heat.

4.  Add about 1/2 tablespoon corn starch to about 1/8 cup tap water.  Stir it in thoroughly.

5.  Increase heat to bring to boil.  As soon as it comes to a boil, re-stir the corn starch/water mix and pour it into the pan. Stir it in.  Reduce heat to lowest setting and stir occasionally.  Taste it.  If it's too tangy or tart, add more sugar.  If it is too sweet, and more vinegar or ketchup.  Tweak it to your taste.  For thicker sauce, you could have added more corn starch to the tap water earlier.  Learn as you go and get it the way you like it.

6.  Cut pork into bite-sized pieces.  Put some flour into a zip lock bag.  Put the egg in a bowl and scramble it well.  Put the pork pieces in the egg and squish it all around. Take the slimy pieces out, squeeze the excess egg off into the bowl to try to reduce the amount of egg a good bit, and then, put the pork in the zip lock and shake, shake, shake.  Remove the floured pork pieces (put them in a bowl or on a plate) and discard the excess flour.

7.  In a deep fryer preheated to 375 degrees, add the breaded pork pieces and let cook for 4 - 5 minutes.

8.  Transfer cooked pork into sauce pan and mix it all in.  Mix it in thoroughly for a nice, gravy-like coating.

It's ready to serve.  Add rice to plate, and add sweet and sour pork to the side.

P.S.  Handy tip if you like this recipe:  What I do is buy pork tenderloin when it is on sale for about $3.50 a pound.  I buy about a 3.5 pound tenderloin, and I bring it home, cut it into 1/4 pound chunks and put the chunks into good quality freezer zip bags.  That way, I need only thaw the number of portions I intend to eat for the given meal (usually 1 for me).   This way, there is no messing around with storing cooked leftovers I might get to in a few days.  When I am in the mood for sweet and sour pork, I put one of the bagged portions into water in the sink to let it thaw for about 45 minutes to an hour before I intend to start cooking.

Edited by Jeff Matthews
  • Like 2

Our "not so meager" offerings this Easter.  :)

Slow cooked brisket, elote, roasted potatoes and carrots with garlic and spring onion, the requisite deviled eggs, and fresh herb salad with beets and tomatoes.

Dessert (not pictured) was a light Angel Food Cake with crushed pineapples (baked inside) and whipped cream.

Thanks to Mrs. Boxx for making this Easter meal fabulous. We make a great team.

post-60623-0-25040000-1428290147_thumb.j

• Like 7

.......My last wine delivery was the night I learned of our dear friend Boxx' passing..... And we loved showing our latest wine club deliveries...

I intend on keeping that tradition alive, so then, here is what arrived yesterday... We shall toast Boxx this evening on RTM ;0))

Enjoy....image.jpg1_145.jpg

toast to the best

• Like 2