RF-7 's: Need a new receiver with a $850 budget

radchad3

Hello all! I have a 5.1 HT system with the RF-7s, RC-7, and RS-7's. I am currently running them via a Marantz sr-8400 with a Crown 2 channel amp for the RF-7's. I am looking to make and upgrade in the near future. My main requirement is that the receiver has pre-outs for my amp. My current options include:

Pioneer vsx-1121

Marantz 6006

Denon AVR-3312ci

Onkyo TX-NR809

Are there any opinions on how these receivers pair sound wise with my setup? Some have said the Denon doesn't sound well with the Klipsch, any thoughts?

I am certainly open to other suggestions.

Thank you in advance!

Chad

i had a denon on my klipsch and thought they sounded good, no complaints here. Some say that yamaha and klipsch can be an overly bright combo but isnt something i have heard in person. I also have a maramtz sr5005 and enjoy the sound. Onkyo has a warm sound and should help make the 7's a bit less bright. The onkyo right now offers a great bang for the buck as far as getting preouts is concerned.

i had a denon on my klipsch and thought they sounded good, no complaints here. Some say that yamaha and klipsch can be an overly bright combo but isnt something i have heard in person. I also have a maramtz sr5005 and enjoy the sound. Onkyo has a warm sound and should help make the 7's a bit less bright. The onkyo right now offers a great bang for the buck as far as getting preouts is concerned.

Say WHAT? Onkyo has a warm sound? Sorry but that just totally blowed my mind.They offer great bang for the buck is true.

Say WHAT? Onkyo has a warm sound?

Warm, no, but just about as neutral as they get. So neutral that many say Onkyo's are not "musical". I love my Onkyo but my NAD does sound better with music.

They offer great bang for the buck is true.

Without a doubt, Onkyo is probably king(as mass market goes) where price/performance counts. Loaded with the newest features.

Bill

I find Onkyo cold and non musical, still just another opinion.As to those listed I would not hook any of them to my 7's.HK is the only mass mrkt almost worthy,imo.I did have a Rotel avr for a while and even it could not do justice to 7's, still just an opinion.I know many use em' all so different strokes.....

I find Onkyo cold and non musical, still just another opinion.As to those listed I would not hook any of them to my 7's.HK is the only mass mrkt almost worthy,imo.I did have a Rotel avr for a while and even it could not do justice to 7's, still just an opinion.I know many use em' all so different strokes.....

i agree with fish on this one ( i am def an HK fan ). Those receivers arent capable of delivering the low impedence dips the 7's have been known to draw. To help run them better in the mean time since it appears you are planning to purchase an outboard amp in the future would be to run the 7's at a higher crossover, maybe around 60-80hz. They are extremely efficient so depending on your listening styles you could be able to get away with it no problem for a while.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts! I due currently have a 2 channel amp for the fronts so that is why I need a receiver with pre-outs. I am open to HK. What models should I be looking at? They certainly don't have the same value as the Onkyo. I am about 80/20 HT/Music if that makes any difference. How is the auto EQ on the HK. I really liked the Audessey XT because it has bass management.

Any thoughts on the Pioneer? It is also a very good value, although it does not auto EQ the sub.

Thanks again for the thoughts! Chad

I will throw a vote in for the Marantz. I have used Pioneer, Sony ES, Onkyo and Marantz. For my ears run with the KLF series and Chorus IIs the Marantz is by far the best sounding, smooth and detailed. I used to frequent a local chain that is no longer in south FL and they pushed Yamaha with Klipsch. After several minutes my ears wanted to bleed. I am currently using a Marantz 8500 as a pre to an Emotiva amp with very good results.

Here is another recommendation for Harman Kardon. Look into the HK 3600 or HK 3650 on Amazon.

Edit: It looks like only the HK 3600 has preouts but the plus is that the 3600 is only $500-$550 on Amazon. My best friend has this unit and it rocks with his RF-7s even without a seperate amp.