SVS Sub for a RF-82 II HTS

JoeJoe

Just a quick question about a SVS sub. On their website they give advice on choosing the right sub for your system. They have a whole listing of several different manufactures and models of speakers to chose from. When I select the RF-82 II floor standing speakers and the RB-81 II bookshelf speakers, they suggested the PC12-PLUS which retails for a whopping $1299. This is too steep for my pocket and was looking at the PC12-NSD instead. Will the PC12-NSD do my very near future system justice? Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Hello shady,

I bought the new svs pb12nsd about 2 months ago and I still love it. It is my first quality sub and it still amazes me when I watch a movie with good lfe, Hannah, Tron, The Patriot, etc.

I am using RB81's as my mains with a RC62 and RB61's as surrounds.

The NSD seems to be very accurate and dosn't bloat bass at all, I used to have a Klipsch sub12 and it was good for the price but the SVS is on a different level all together.

I use it in a large room 17*23 and the bass travels through the couch. I really couldnt expect much more from a sub that cost $769.

The only potential down fall could be its size, its large 21*17*22 inches so it may not be for everyone.

I find it blends in nicely with my speakers, there should be some links on the SVS web page I read them all before I made my purchase and the reviews are bang on as far as I'm concerned.

I really wanted the PB12 Plus but I just couldn't justify the $1400, but the NSD is just perfect for me and my modest system.

Hope that helps, if you have any questions just ask

Nathan

Will the PC12-NSD do my very near future system justice?

IMO, as a PC12-NSD owner, I'd say it certainly has the potential to. A little more info could help with this regard:

1. How large is your room and how far will you sit from the subwoofer? Is the room sealed or open to other areas?

2. How loud do you like to listen?

Also, here is a review of the boxy brother, the PB12-NSD

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/pb12-nsd

@StephenM: If I place the sub near either the F/L or F/R speaker, my distance will be between 8 to 9 ft. The room size is 12x14. The loudness depends, with movies and video games, I like it medium volume to loud, music really doesn't matter. Thanks for the input!

@liebherr954: How does the RB 81 sound as a HTS? I was seriously thinking about getting the RB-81 II HTS system but someone seems to bring it up that I would want to upgrade to floor standing speakers after awhile. I think I am sold on the PC12-NSD. Nothing but great reviews about that sub. Thanks for the confidence booster.

@blowndc: I try researching what's a small/medium/large room and I get so many different opinionated answers. I think I have a medium size room but not sure. Thanks for your feedback though.

How big the room you're trying to fill is probably the biggest question and the answer to that will answer your sub buying question. FWIW, I own the RF-82, RC-62 and RS-42'a and went with the SVS PB12-NSDeven though the SVS wizard(or what ever it's called) suggested I go with the PB-Plus. I have never felt for one second that my PB12-NSD was lacking. But my HT room is also my living room and is of normal size. I would say unless you have an overly large room then the NSD series sub will be just fine. Again though, room size is everything.

I think I have a medium size room but not sure.

I'd qualify it as a fairly small room, presuming you don't have 20 foot ceilings or some such. 12x14 and 9 feet for the ceilings only equates to a hair over 1500 cubic feet. Per the review I linked on the PB12-NSD:

The
SVS PB12-NSD receives the Audioholics Bassoholic Large Room rating,
which means that this sub is recommended as maintaining adequate
headroom in rooms or spaces of between 3,000 to 5,000 cubic feet

and/or for users who usually listen at moderate to high volume
levels.

Unless you're an absolute basshead, I'd expect the PC12-NSD to get the job done just fine.

I previously had the older PB12NSD model

it was a great sub but it was too big physically for our room. the room is 14 x 18 that opens into the kitchen/dining area. the SVS had more than enough bass to keep up with my KLF20s and my new RF62ii and would rattle pictures all over the house if they werent very heavy. So in other words I would save your money and go with the NSD and not look back. They are great subs

I previously had the older PB12NSD model

it was a great sub but it was too big physically for our room. the room is 14 x 18 that opens into the kitchen/dining area. the SVS had more than enough bass to keep up with my KLF20s and my new RF62ii and would rattle pictures all over the house if they werent very heavy. So in other words I would save your money and go with the NSD and not look back. They are great subs

SVS just came out with a newer revision of the PB12-NSD in Nov/Dec 2011 which is smaller all around then the older design. It also comes with a new 400w RMS sledge amp that is supposedly a really good step up from the older BASH design.

it is basically the same size but 3 inches less deep and 10 lbs lighter. the new amp has more power partially to compensate for the smaller box design. Either way it is plenty of sub for the majority of people and most "normal" sized rooms.

2 of those would dominate just about any setup I think