ProMedia 2.1 - headphone use causes left speaker to go out temporarily

BryanH

I've looked at several threads and it seems ProMedia satellite issues aren't uncommon. I may have a unique issue, I'm curious if anyone has run across this before or knows if it's a simple fix (I have no electronics experience but can disassemble/reassemble stuff without too much trouble).

The speakers can be playing fine all day and into the evening, when the family goes to bed and I plug my headphones in to the jack on the control pod. After unplugging the headphones and going to bed, the next morning the ProMedias only output muddled sound from the right speaker and sub. The left speaker (which is the one with the control pod attached) is mute. This has been going on for a couple years now but my fix was to play music and briefly, quickly crank the volume up and then back down. The left speaker would spring to life and the weak sound from the right speaker and sub would improve. Which headphones I use doesn't seem to make a difference.

This week the problem has been tougher to fix. Yesterday I even resorted to removing the control pod and having a good look at the circuit board. Nothing seemed amiss with a visual inspection. Strangely, after I put it back together both speakers worked properly with no "rapid volume spike" fix needed. Today I tried a dozen "volume spikes" and gave up, then came back to it after an hour or so and the first volume spike fixed it again. I suspect things will only get worse from here.

Now aside from kicking the headphones out of the equation, what are my options? It looks like the control pod (if that's even my problem) is discontinued. I've had my ProMedia system for many years and been quite satisfied with it, aside from this issue. I've also heard the ProMedia 2.1 system currently sold is not as good as the older system that I have. Not wanting to downgrade, and indeed being tempted by this "opportunity" to upgrade, I am looking at other 2.1 systems including the BlueSky eXo2 (very expensive!) and Swan M50W (which inexplicably seems to lack AUX in and headphone jacks).

Thanks for any insights. :)

Bryan,

Welcome to the forum.

I believe you can acquire another control pod on Ebay for ~$20.

I suspect your issue lies there. (Maybe the solder on the headphone jack is cold soldered or cracked?)

My only other thought is maybe the DIN plug itself could be contributing. The next time it happens; gently wiggle the plug and see if it clears immediately.

If so; there's your culprit.

I am no expert, but have replaced the DIN plug on my pod of my now retired PM 2.1s; similar symptoms.

(Retired them for RF 52s in the Bedroom).

Good Luck.

Thanks for the response Ironsave. I tried wiggling the DIN plug in all directions and it had no effect on the sound (there were no crackles or pops either) so I suspect that isn't a problem on my system.

What I find curious is that the use of the headphone jack affects the speakers, but the headphones always work fine.

Is the new "bent" DIN connector compatible with the old system? That might open up my options for replacement control pods.